Notices

Stay Sober Memorial Day Weekender May 21 - 26

Old 05-23-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Trachemys aren't those the ferrits a guy was selling as high dollar poodles.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

There he is!!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Good morning! Beautiful Saturday here, mist rising from the lake, clear skies, Orioles calling -- we are in a nesting area. Every year they nest here then disappear for the rest of the summer. Will soon head out for a short tour of the lake in my kayak.

What a difference from a year ago, when I was hungover every Saturday, wanting to quit and not quitting and really being ashamed of it. Happy to be on the sober bus today.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

I love peonies Bernie had them at my old house and should have brought some with me. Your avatar makes me smile.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
What would this thread be without the one and only, the classic...teased weasel:
I laugh out loud every time I see that! Thanks trach!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Saturday morning check in. Not much to report. Just been hanging out watching TV. Pain not too bad at the moment, but had a vike at about 0330 when the pain woke me up. Kinda foggy and groggy now.

Hope everyone is doing well. Keep on keeping on!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Going to the wax museum today!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is doing well! We are still being rained on and are going into flooding. Wow. I feel like I live in Seattle not Dallas.

Rock on!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone!! A beautiful day in Chicago and thanking God for a peaceful night sleep an early morning workout and 8 days of sobriety. One day at a time is a good pace for me. Not looking back but going forward with a new resolve. Wishing you all the best
Old 05-23-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

MrChill, segCurly and WhiteTiger, Welcome to the thread We're glad you decided to join us. Peppermint Patti, good job!

*passes out seltzer and cookies*

Non, I keep reading about pain meds and surgery but I missed the details. Sending healing vibes or prayers, whichever rocks your world.

I finished watching "Grace & Frankie." It was good. Jane Fonda looks 40 but she's 70, so it created some cognitive dissonance for me, but I'm in now.

No plans for today - yet.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me and I feel good again. It was literally an over-night change this time and I am grateful. Yesterday morning I woke up feeling normal--no cravings, hangover or shakes/sweats of withdrawal. I did get my drinks in early the day before and sipped in the afternoon--a one day taper if you will. Anyhoo, after a month of wrestling with my beast I just went with that sober vibe and it's working great. I even had to go get S/O out of the bar last night (so she would not drive) and it took a few hours- drank one o'douls and water. Glad to be back is all. Thanks to all who have been puttin' out that sober vibe SR.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Good day all. Just back from a nice bike ride. I cycle along the track of an old railway line that has been converted to a cycle path. Sun was shinning, nature was singing.

Bacon sandwich for brunch. Catching up with news now. Looks like we have voted Yes to equality here - finally emerging from the stone ages.

Gonna clean up now, but am tempted to have a nap!

Hope everyone has a great sober day.

B
Old 05-23-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Cold here this AM. Bright sunny day. Perfect weather for working outside, I think.
Made breakfast burritos. Scrumpdilyicious! Had a grapefruit -sweetness.
Thanks for playing along with my artificial flavor question Brynn. Reminds me of a few weeks back I bought some 'red velvet' fudge. I asked the lady what they use for flavor and she said, "Red flavor." I asked for clarification on what 'red flavor' was and she matter-of-factly told me it was "RED FLAVOR."

I gotta say there is nothing like waking up fully refreshed and totally aware of everything. No headache, no eyeball adjustment, no shaking out the cobwebs etc. Just fully awake, well rested and full of energy.
A no coffee necessary kind of awake. That's what I'm talkin about!

Welcome Curly. Stay sober long enough and that's what the mornings start to feel like. Every day.

Tell us the truth, doesn't it feel much better to be sober?

Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

These all look damn tasty. I have not had meat loaf since childhood! Might try make it some time.

6 unusual American recipes to add to your repertoire http://jrnl.ie/2113497 via TheJournal.ie
Old 05-23-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I love watermelon but absolutely hate anything flavored to taste like it. Even the smell makes me nauseated.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Behan I love meat loaf. My mom's is the best of course.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Good morning all! It is a gorgeous morning in Chicago as thirdwave said. Sunny with scattered clouds. Light breeze. Birds all singing. I feel rested for a change. Daughter's gymnastics class in half an hour so can't dawdle visiting.

MisterChill, that is a great milestone making it through Friday night. Super!

I don't mind watermelon flavored stuff though it doesn't taste like watermelon. I used to have the opposite thing with bananas that Della had with watermelon. Liked banana flavored things but not actual bananas. Now that I'm older I like bananas. I think it was the texture. Banana Popsicles. Mmm.

Della, speaking of bikes, as Behan mentioned, did you get yours assembled? I've got to get mine conditioned. Haven't ridden it in a very long time.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by segCurly View Post
I'm in. And today was day 1 - yes, 1. And I did it.
Way to go!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Behan, interesting list of six things.

A couple comments if I may...
If you order meatloaf at a diner and they ask if you want gravy on the meatloaf - IT AIN'T REAL MEATLOAF. If anything on top of the meatloaf, if it's made properly, stewed tomatoes work just fine.

Chicken fried steak: It's a cheap cut of meat "tenderized" with a sledge hammer and breaded and fried. Gravy on top of this is okay.

Hoagies: When subway first started out they thought it was ingenious to cut out the top of the roll in a 'V' type pattern and filling the cavity created with 'stuff'. After I and I'm sure millions of others requested they don't do that or else I take my business elsewhere, subway finally relented (learned) how to make hoagies.
Do not judge hoagies by the ones you get at subway. They are average at best. A hoagie made properly is a feast. We called them 'subs', short for submarine sandwich as the roll was 'submarine' shaped. Different parts of the country call them different things.
Northeastern USA is where hoagies were invented and remain the best place to get them. WAWA hoagies are no better than subway - again, just average.

In honor of Trach and the rest of our southern friends:

Old 05-23-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

No still in the box

Same here about the bananas love them in smoothies but can't eat one. I have huge texture issues. I wouldn't eat oatmeal if you paid me.