Old 05-23-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
LBrain

Behan, interesting list of six things.

A couple comments if I may...
If you order meatloaf at a diner and they ask if you want gravy on the meatloaf - IT AIN'T REAL MEATLOAF. If anything on top of the meatloaf, if it's made properly, stewed tomatoes work just fine.

Chicken fried steak: It's a cheap cut of meat "tenderized" with a sledge hammer and breaded and fried. Gravy on top of this is okay.

Hoagies: When subway first started out they thought it was ingenious to cut out the top of the roll in a 'V' type pattern and filling the cavity created with 'stuff'. After I and I'm sure millions of others requested they don't do that or else I take my business elsewhere, subway finally relented (learned) how to make hoagies.
Do not judge hoagies by the ones you get at subway. They are average at best. A hoagie made properly is a feast. We called them 'subs', short for submarine sandwich as the roll was 'submarine' shaped. Different parts of the country call them different things.
Northeastern USA is where hoagies were invented and remain the best place to get them. WAWA hoagies are no better than subway - again, just average.

In honor of Trach and the rest of our southern friends: