Notices

Class of December 09

Old 01-02-2010, 12:06 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Way to go Laura!

You'll feel so much better in the morning for it...
Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unbrokenchain View Post
Don't you think some people have a drinking problem but don't know it or don't care enough or have the intellectual mindset to try and understand how much or why they drink, not deep thinkers etc.? They too are alcoholics are they not? I have workfriends who never contemplate have any idea how many drinks they consume in an average week. I even asked them. But I know its alot, way too much but they just don't understand the negative impact it has on them, or there life. You would think they were just drinking pop or something the casual way they speak of it.
Congrats on Day 3!

It is not for me to judge whether someone else is an alcoholic or has a "problem." If I'm too busy measuring everybody else's level of addiction, I'm not focusing enough on my own.

What/when/how much somebody else drinks is their business, not mine. Comparing ourselves to anyone else is futile; we have no idea what journey they're on and it's not for us to save the world, only ourselves.

There's a reason I chose the world "Humble" for my SR name...I don't always measure up to it, but I continue to try...

Peace ~
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Hi gang, how does this class thing work? Sober the entire month? My sobriety date is 12/16/2009.

Congrats all!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by unbrokenchain View Post
Atleast in my case it takes so much ENERGY and MOTIVATION and CONSTANT VIGILANCE to change one small freakin habit in my life that if I try to do more than one at at time I just
get zapped early on and give up.

Unbrokenchain, I think you will find, that when you do make ONE small change in your life, it will have a ripple effect. I have found this to be true!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hello to all : )
Glad to see we are still growing and I hope today is being kind to every one of us.

Day 20 here. Peeling the onion right? I'm stealing that metaphor btw...
The past few days have been quiet and emotional, I'm feeling drained.

Laughing at myself because I'm crying at everything, stupid commercials included. Ah well, my daughter will be home later... and then it's all but impossible to be self reflective so I guess I'll just wallow a bit more and then try to do something productive.

I guess this is just part of healing, facing emotions I've drowned out for years.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

congrats blackbird.......i have not reached the emotional stage just yet but have been suffering from panic attacks during the night..........this is causing a great lack of sleep......oh well this too shall pass and i am on day 7....a "whole" week.....keep up the great work everyone
Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

untoxicated- anyone who quit drinking in the month of dec 09

welcome to your group
Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cingle,

I experienced the panic attacks during the night time too. They were really awful. That's one reason I decided to never keep alcohol in the house, because those panic attacks made me feel so vulnerable.

I hope you begin sleeping better soon!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by cinglenluvnit View Post
untoxicated- anyone who quit drinking in the month of dec 09

welcome to your group
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Woo hoo, count me in!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by blackbirdsing View Post
Hello to all : )
Glad to see we are still growing and I hope today is being kind to every one of us.

Day 20 here. Peeling the onion right? I'm stealing that metaphor btw...
The past few days have been quiet and emotional, I'm feeling drained.

Laughing at myself because I'm crying at everything, stupid commercials included. Ah well, my daughter will be home later... and then it's all but impossible to be self reflective so I guess I'll just wallow a bit more and then try to do something productive.

I guess this is just part of healing, facing emotions I've drowned out for years.
Glad you're here. I'm on day 19 and I'm told it gets better as we go so keep thinking positively. I had what you are experiencing the first week something awful and only once since. I'm sure it's our body and mind trying to put itself back together properly. (Darn right on the bolded).

I think I got a bit misty eyed on a few commercials myself, but looking back I think it's pretty funny - I'm sure you will to. Take that joy of your daughter and wrap yourself up with it.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by cinglenluvnit View Post
congrats blackbird.......i have not reached the emotional stage just yet but have been suffering from panic attacks during the night..........this is causing a great lack of sleep......oh well this too shall pass and i am on day 7....a "whole" week.....keep up the great work everyone
You're not alone, actually I thought I was "unique" with these emotions at night. Such an irrational fear but I used it as an excuse to drink (that was one of thousands but the most convincing to myself it seems) countless times.

Last night was probably the first night I felt tired and completely unafraid (I still have no basis for the "night fears" nor do I understand them)...keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll be feeling better too.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
On my path.

Hi everyone,

I am so glad to see so many of us have survived the holiday season. We will be going through so much together.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Untoxicated- glad you are here too. I just laughed out loud at your response to another thread about not drinking causing hair loss: ) That was exactly what I was thinking!

I think you're right on about the emotions being a part of healing too, I'm trying to embrace the good with bad.

So, on the positive side: I notice that the sleep I do get is much sounder now... that my skin looks healthier, my eyes brighter. I notice that I am beginning to be gentler with myself... and that I feel a subtle shift in my thinking because of this!

And cingle- I feel you on the sleepless nights and that part of it has improved some for me already... still waking in the night but not w/ so much a sense of panic as when I was drinking or the first few days of recovery.

Unbroken- don't beat yourself up about the smoking, for now just focus on feeling good about not drinking. (and by feeling good about it I mean FEEL GOOD about it!!) You are doing great!

Peace to all.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi.

Still here. Welcome to new people (Unintoxicated, looking at you ... might be more... didn't look back a page. Yeah, badbubba... but that's all I been all day. Got no motivation. Don't do a thing. Went to a meeting 'cause someone picked me up. Kinda had fun talking afterwards, but back to... whatever I'm feeling (not feeling?).

Take care,
TB, 14 days almost to the hour of being sober.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Still here, still sober, but rather depressed after the holidays, don't know why. At least I have my dogs for company...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Morning guys, good to see you least and 30. I feel you on the sadness post holiday, had to remind myself yesterday that even when I was a kid I'd get bummed out after the excitement of the parties and presents wore off. Doesn't help that skies are grey and overcast either.
I've been practicing changing my mood... or at least elevating it a little. My dog does wonders for me in this regard too least. Gratitude also seems to work for this, so does dancing: )
3 weeks today!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
On my path.

Hi everyone,

There seems to be a lot of sadness at SR today. Here and on other newbie posts.

What do you do to pick yourself up when you are sad? I am cleaning like a banchee today. That always helps. I also LOVE to read.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

ello & appy new year my soberish friends...all the way from dirty ole NZ

i had a pretty good xmas/new years, attended and played at a 4 day rave music festival type thing...was cool! & i stayed sober the WHOLE time got a bit bored & felt a little alone being amongst so many wasted people all having a great "NORMAL" time, but nothing i couldnt handle, if i felt sad. i just just went and boogied on the dfloor & usually found someone to yack to who who make me larf.

but! no blackouts, paranoia, hangover, headaches, regret, embarrassment, ill health, irrationality, craving, obsession .....seems pretty good trade of to me.

and to come home to my gfriend having "made it" gave me a great sense of pride...and i still hope things will get better as i embrace my sobreity.

so yeah im at day 36...of to the beach today ....woohoo! we have beuat beaches in NZ.

i have also been making some music again! this is great as i pretty much stopped for along time due to binger drinking and all the ill effects.
have a listen to my new tune if you like. sorta chilled electronic bit, nothing to hard out...buts its so good to be being creative again...i can def see this will be part of my recovery.

http://soundcloud.com/double_negativ...lax-remix-clip

i hope you all well & are sticking to your guns...i guess if you reading this...then you def doing something right!

if you considering drinking...DONT! im sure there is something else you can do which will bring a smile to your face & if not, then still DONT! as it'll just make things worse...blah blah you know the deal...

nd
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

aaaaand welcome honeyTrappe! nice to have you on the board you get to hear my stories twice now hehe

great to see so many people made it through the break sober.
lets keep on keeping on.

i am finding my fibromyalgia a real pain (pun intended) being sober im having to face it head on, but despite the pain my head is clear & i can think rationally. waking up every morning in pain sucks big time thoi hope things get better @ the moment they seem to be getting worse? anyone else in the dec09 group delt with FM? i sober up the pain gets worse wth???
Old 01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hello,

Herc here. Still sober, 11 days. Every day seems either packed tightly with obligations (Mon - Wed = work + outpatient treatment) or wide open (weekends = AA meetings). The cravings seem to have dies down almost entirely thus far, which had made things much easier. A bit depressed at times, and wondering if the Resperidal I'm on is helping or hurting. Oh well, tick tock.