Blogs

Notices

Class of December 09

Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

staying busy today....cleaning and purging a lot of things i no longer need.........this is something i have not done in such a long time and i feel it will help me feel like i am once again in control of my life...half way through day two

hope everyone is still staying strong so as 55438 said we can encourage next years december class.....have a great day
Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I will

December 27 1105am ,,,,,,,wish it was my first try but hopefully this time will be for good,,,finding and reading this site HAS HELPED like No other .....

no too bad of withdrawals so far
Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

well said 55! (and you have successfully inspired me to devise a signature... stay tuned)

cingle, i had the strong urge to purge old junk (literally) the first few days as well. it felt so good to walk into a room that had been cluttered and see some order- it seemed really symbolic of this whole process to me. thanks for reminding me of that... i would do well to keep that ball rolling... christmas sort of wreaked havoc on my attempts at organization.

i have so much mental, emotional and literal junk i still need to get rid of... but it's getting a little better day by day... baby steps, right?

i'm so glad to be here with all of you... one moment/emotion/obstacle/triumph at a time.

welcome swlatiger! hope today is brighter than yesterday for all of us.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cing,

I think cleaning and purging is a fabulous way to make you feel good about yourself and your surroundings. That all helps towards recovery.

Swaltiger,

Welcome and I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life.

Blackbirdsing,

Baby steps is a good way to approach recovery, I think. I believe that we are shown what we need to learn, when the time is right. It's as mentioned in another thread, like the peeling of the onion. When I began recovery I was trying to save my life, literally. It was overwhelming at times, and taking things slow, trying to stay on track, worked for me.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hello,

First post. My new sober date is December 25th, 2009. I've been trying to stay sober since May or June. Didn't quite make it through Christmas. I am going to outpatient treatment 3 days a week, at least one A.A. meeting every other day, working with sponsor once a week, calling sponsor every day, prayer several times a day, taking Antabuse, seeing a therapist and psychiatrist. With all that, it should be easy right? :P

Each time I just keep hoping it's THE time. I can stay sober today, and I'm thankful for that.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

blackbird and 51- thanks for the comments.....i feel better when i am sitting in my living room and it is neat and orderly....i did not get as much accomplished as i wanted, but i know it will still be there tomorrow (unless some fairy comes along while i am sleeping and takes care of it, but i am not holding my breathe on that one)

Herc- sounds like you have made sure you have all avenues in place. Keep up the great work.

I am coming to the end of day two and this evening i am finding myself spending too much time looking up withdrawal symptoms........i worry about my choice of doing this cold turkey and hope that i dont suffer any of the more serious side effects of my decision to go this route.

Thanks to all who are here with wonderful words of encouragement.....i return to work tomorrow so hopefully that will get my mind off of what "could" happen for quitting cold turkey
Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
On my path.

Hello classmates,

I went skiing with my kids yesterday, a great time was had by all. Today OUCCHH! I am old and sore, there are muscles there? There must be because they are barking at me today!

My husband and I are currently undecided about New Year's Eve. We have been invited to a couple of shindigs and we have different preferences. We will figure it out. I know that I am the designated driver no matter where we go. :-)

How is everyone?

Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Still here and still sober!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome HercT

Happy New Year guys - keep up the great work!

D
Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Hey HercT!
Hey Least, how ya been?

55- I'm torn about New Years too... it would be nice to see friends and actually hang out w/ adults for a change; but I think a bigger part of me would rather just light my fireplace and snuggle in for the night w/ my daughter and Harry Potter (her new favorite and much more exciting than princesses IMO). I am super excited about a new year fresh-faced and sober... maybe going hiking New Years Day at one of the State Parks close by...

Hello to everyone, and a Happy New year to you too Dee, thanks for cheering us on
Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

and Anna, thanks for the words of wisdom. I truly feel like I am being shown what I need to know (or remember), bit by bit... and gaining a little at a time.

Sometimes I wonder how long I can feel as good as I do right now... as clear and just so stinkin' excited about recovering and reconnecting; I felt so bad for so long...I'm sure that as the onion peels there will be more difficult days so for now I'll just enjoy.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi HercT, and anybody else who's been new since I took off... I'm sure there are plenty.

Well, I've been sober for 9 days now, after a few weeks of reestablishing that I can become dependent quickly. School's over, and I did alright, considering I've gone through withdrawals about 10 times during the semester... actually I did pretty good anyways.

This time around, I got kind of shoved into sobriety. I was fairly despondent one night... or a few maybe, that I was never going to get back off the bottle. The next night I was driven to an AA meeting, which was a good thing because I had about a liter of bourbon in me. Ever since, I've been trying, getting involved in the AA process--not just going to meetings--and have a sponsor who I have to call every day and who takes me to meetings.

I don't know how these meetings are different, maybe it's because I came *with* someone, but everybody is much more friendly now. Before, I was pretty much ignored at meetings on a routine basis. Don't think it should be different, but it is. And if not for SR, it probably wouldn't have happened--I don't know anybody here, sober or otherwise. When I called the local AA, they told me they don't give rides. That just up and changed when someone from here called them... I guess it's who you know...

Not trying to dissuade anybody from going, just saying my own experience. But this time round it's much, much, much better.

I've had ups and downs, sure, and one day I was convinced my body was going to not let me get away with denying it what it's had for so long... but steady eating candies and hoping the physical cravings go away. It's also easier to stay sober, because I only have to pull off most of the day--the sponsor'll be by to pick me up soon enough.

Anyways, that was a little long, but that's what I've been up to since I took off in shame. Didn't want to post again till I was pretty sure it was going to take, at least for a while.

Take care,
TB, lethargic as all get out but still sober
Old 12-30-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

It is so great to see everyone back on here. I was starting to wonder where everyone went?! But than again I am living through this site right now and enjoy reading that there are others who are only a few days in like myself.

When I read things like 9 days in and still going, it gives me hope that I too will reach that goal SOON!

Thanks to you all for your motivation
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Cingle-- I did the same thing, too... live on SR. For a while... I had a *lot* of questions, and since I officially don't have a problem, I had nobody to ask.

This is a good place to hang out... much better than by myself with a bottle, at least.

You'll get to day 9... and farther still if you keep at it. Do what those with time suggest--strangely, most of it seems to work. I can't fathom it at all, but with each passing day, it seems easier to get through the next one.

In the meantime, baby steps.

Take care,
TB
Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hi Gang,
I'm new here. I'm working on Day 1 again... Hoping an online support group will help me through those evening hours when I'm tempted to run up to the neighborhood wine store. Any tips on how to get past the cravings and detox symptoms? Everything I've read leads me to believe I should go to an in-patient detox treatment center, but I don't have health insurance or money.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Welcome Supersadie- Day 3 for me and this site is very helpful in keeping me preoccupied and away from the store. Reach out as much as you can as there are so many supportive people here.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Yay 30, glad to see you!
SuperSadie: welcome! The advice that I would share (mostly gleaned from others here at SR) is first and foremost: make sure someone near to you is on call and go straight to the ER if you need to. (Regardless of the financial costs, your life is invaluable) Take it easy, drink lots of water and take your vitamins. I drank EmergenC like crazy the first few days, I think it helped a lot... lots of B vitamins and electrolytes. Others here have suggested gatorade or the like helps.

Stick around and post! We are all here to support one another.

Day 16 here... I think? LOL I'm losing track... in a good way

Where o where are our other classmates?? Healthyme, Lionheart, Lores... to name a few... Get your butts back here!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hi Dec09 recoverees!

It's healthyme but I changed my username. I lost my password to this site and then I lost my email information. No, it's not from the alcohol. That's just me. LOL! This time I wrote it down, though. Not sure why I changed my name, maybe for a wider focus.

and...I'm still SOBER! 24 days! Today was the hardest so far which is why I made an effort to register again and post. May need to plant myself here tomorrow night.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Welcome back healthyme/ seeker 7- congrats on 24 days and i know what you mean about planting yourself on here for new years eve.....i am thinking i may need to do the same
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi again everyone
I haven't been posting because I've been drinking again.
I hope I can stay in this class because today is my first day again of being sober........I will not start another New Year drunk.
My New year's present to myself is being alcohol free.
Happy New Year to everyone...will probably be on here a lot tonight