Blogs

Notices

Class of December 09

Old 12-31-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Glad to see so many doing well,,, Im on day 4 myself and thank goodness I have to work tonite, so no tempatations, so far I havent experienced much in the form of withdrawal dont know if its the meds or just the grace of God,,last time was really bad, praying this will truly be the last time

I pray for all of you to make it through the toughest night of the year....

Glad to be part of this class of Dec 09,,,,,God Bless u all
Old 12-31-2009, 05:21 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

welcome back free

glad ur back,,,,a fresh start to the end of Dec 09, and beginning of 2010,,,,you can do it and welcome back
Old 12-31-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

welcome back stayinfree- speaking for myself I would love to see you continue to join us here in this link and it sounds like we may be seeing a lot of each other on here tonight because i have a feeling i too will be using this as an outlet to not give in.

swlatiger- congrats on day 4, i too am on the same day
Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
On my path.

Wow Look at how crowded this room has become! Least, cinglnluvinit, birdsong, herc, thirtybubba, supersadie, seeker, stayinfree,swlatiger, unbrokenchain, aysha, 4ever, and others, I hope I haven't missed you!

We are off on our journey. Soon there will be a class of Jan., 2010, this is a big deal, we will not be the squeaky clean newbies anymore.

We are going out tonight and I am the designated driver. I can't to welcome 2010 sober and with you all.

See you tomorrow,

Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

55438- have a great new year and it is an awesome feeling knowing that just around the corner we will no longer be the newbies
Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

unbrokenchain- it is great to see you made it here to our december group! I think we are a pretty awesome bunch if you ask me
Old 12-31-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

this night has turned out not to be so hard after all.......i hope that everyone enjoys a great sober new year......for me this will be the first one is yeeeeeeeeears.....
Old 12-31-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Congratulations Unbroken ~ What a way to start the New Year! Good for you.

Smoking/drinking...hmmm...if you only smoked when you drank, I would stay far, far away from that. Keep yourself hydrated and avoid too much coffee, soda, things that have sugar/caffeine.

I drank alot of green tea in the beginning and still do.

In general, focus on self care. Be gentle. Try to take things slowly.

When first getting sober, it's common to think that you'll have too much time on your hands. It was just the opposite for me. While it's unfortunate that you don't have AA meetings where you are, the internet makes virtual support groups very portable! I'm sure with a little research you might find some local groups or people that you have things in common with that you might be able to reach out to.

DO they have any type of meetings where you are for recovery?

I also loved to read, read, read - books about recovery, especially personal memoirs, but anything that's positive and motivating. Living life in recovery is all about learning, I think, and I remain open every day to being teachable and learning something new.

It sounds like you've got a great spiritual and physical program in place. All the best to you!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

P.S. Happy New Year, Cingle, and to the Class of '09!!

Remember...the newbie is always the most important person in the room!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Jumping on to the tail end of December here. Today was day one for me... again... this time I am out of tries. This time I have no more excuses. 2010 is the year to turn this thing around. Happy New Year, everyone.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Thanks, I am planning to live here for a while and see what happens
Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

sounds likE our group is strong and on the right path to sobriety......day 5 is coming to an end and i feel better then i have in a while........keeping everyone in my thoughts....HAPPY NEW YEAR CLASS OF DEC 09
Old 01-01-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unbrokenchain View Post
That's why I say now I'm not sure whether
to stop all things that were previously associated with alcohol. I mean I used to take a couple of beers in my pack when I went hiking and drink them as a reward when I reached the summit. Hiking is a good outlet for me, but again when I go I feel like drinking afterwards. Should one stop all things that involved alcohol until one is 1 year clean persay?
~~~~~~~
I've been having some tech problems so don't know if the quote I tried to include in this looks right.

Anyway, in answer to your question, it is highly recommended that activities that trigger cravings for alcohol be avoided, especially early on. You said you felt like drinking after hiking since you that's what you did before? I'd put the hiking on hold for now. Try jogging or working out or any other physical activity instead.

Sobriety is not a condemnation or death sentence - it's absolutely the opposite, especially from a health persective. Living in recovery is a new way of life with a whole new kind of adventure and satisfaction.

The "one year" mark that you mentioned is commonly used as a gauge - it's not the same for everyone.

Re: When I got sober, I was a regular (daily) smoker. My counselor advised me not to quit too many things at once and recommended I focus on the not drinking first. He was right. When I was comfortable, and due to a medical condition, I quit smoking and don't feel the urgency of not having either one.

Besides, in time, won't hiking be so much better without the shortness of breath??

We all need to find our own path and in our own time. Congratulations on your new journey in this new year! I wish all the best to you...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Great to see the newcomers. Welcome!

I am so enjoying a hangover free New Year's Day. I love the clarity and the extra energy that I have. I still have cravings around 4 or 5pm each day. I hope they go away eventually. 3 more days till I get to 30 days. Woohoo!

We can do this!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Still sober.

Take care,
TB, kinda missing what might have been, with NYE and all,... but not hungover either*

*although to be honest, I wouldn't be hung over if I'd drank last night... I'd still be drinking.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:46 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Still here and still sober!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unbrokenchain View Post
I'm stumbling now, I don't know that I shouldnt go to just 1 regulated drink a day the month of January just not to shock my body. Today I was walking down the street in my town, passing one vending machine to the next selling sake, beer. I had a whole pocketful of money, off work until the 5th. Tears welling up in my freaking eyes all the frustration I feel but can't have the even 1 that would set me at ease. It seems so harsh. It seems like its not going to be any fun anymore. Sometimes I feel like its a bit extreme to stop, WTF end to all joy, or I think I won't be able to stand up to all the obstacles in my life...It always seems there would be a better time to start abstinence...Anyway I'm staying with abstinence. What would have been a fun couple days off drinking with friends has turned into anxious depression but its a sacrifice that has to be made for long term enjoyment. I won't be weak any longer and give sway, to a way of living that I KNOW is the WRONG PATH.
In my Humble opinion, maybe you're just not sick and tired enough to stop drinking? I hear the rationalization, justification and defense about how unfair stopping altogether seems and maybe just one drink would set you at ease...and how it seems "there would be a better time to start..."

You can always start tomorrow - just remember that "tomorrow" eventually becomes "now" and depending on the severity of the addiction, tomorrow may never come at all.

I only speak from my experience when I say that I too didn't think I was that bad, only had one or two here and there, and that I could/would quit another time and can control it...

With drinking, things never get better...those one or two turn into four, five and never enough and in time, the "control" is reversed. Instead of me controlling "it" - "it" controlled me. It's what is referred to as a "not yet" syndrome. Anything I thought didn't make me "that bad" then eventually turned into a "me too" - in time...

It might be helpful to talk to other people face-to-face who've been there. Or check out a meeting or two and just "listen."

People who truly don't have a drinking problem never think about when, how much or why they drink. They never have to rationalize or justify it because it's not a problem for them. Now, that's something to think about.

Peace and best wishes ~
Old 01-02-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Still here, day three. Got company coming tonight so will stock up on n/a beverages. So far so good and still strong in my resolve.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

unbroken- I go through the same feelings off and on (only day 6 for me) when it comes to completely stopping, but I also know that one beer turns into two beers turns into 18.....hang in there and maybe you will be able to find another avenue to relieve stress

Laura- congrats to getting to day 3 and still hanging in there strong