Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 02-23-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

JL

Sorry to hear youre not feeling well. Please take good care of yourself. I hope youre still well enough to post in here once a day at least to let us know how you are, and if you need some support or a chat.

What a great wife doing everything tonight. Dont worry about the yelling. As you know the bedtime routine (the kids bedtime routine that is) is high pressure trying to get homework done, dinner cooked for them, get dinner into them, get them in the bath, teeth, into bed.............spins my head just thinking about it lol. I do my fair share of yelling around that time of day too, it seems my sons ears turn off about that time of day!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Thanks for putting all of that together coco, that's a big job.

I'm very glad that this is such an active class, especially this late in the month. Having been in many () , I know sometimes they can really fizzle out.

Hope you feel better JL.

Heading to bed nice and early. I sleep like a baby right from day one. Sleep becomes a huge motivator for me because I know even just a few drinks robs me of quality sleep. I know some people struggle with sleep without alcohol, so I guess I'm lucky.

Good night all, thanks for all of your posts. They help keep me on track with my thinking
Old 02-23-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Day 17
Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

JL, it's rotten to be sick when you're sober. Sick is for drinking alcoholics! Hang in there, I hope you feel better in the morning!
Coco, it's 920 pm in Georgia, USA. Eastern time zone. We're way at the end of the time. But, you may have counted the day before yesterday. I didn't drink, but I used something else, not something I like but still a mind-altering substance, so I don't count that day. Yesterday, Feb. 22 for me, was my first day. I am going to keep that date, hopefully for the rest of my life! Now, I'm going to go to bed early and read until I fall asleep and tomorrow will be better. My plan is to pray, log in here in the morning and tomorrow night, call some people ( I still haven't called anyone on the list), go to a meeting (haven't done that since I started over, either) and most importantly, go to bed sober tomorrow night!
Old 02-23-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Cool list Cococo. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

If some of you have a bit of spare time to message some of our classmates who haven't shown up to school for a while, they are truants, haha (just kidding), that would be a nice thing to do. No pressure on them, just to ask how they are etc.

I am quite concerned about 83mamaOf2, she has openly admitted in here that she is really struggling with her cravings, "so bad I cant stand it".

We cant make anybody join us. We cant make anybody want to become sober. We all know it must come from within and be initiated by us. But my thinking is why would anybody repeatedly and repeatedly try to become sober again and again and post in here if they didn't want to quit. I honestly think some really do want to quit but are really struggling.

83mamaOf2
DramaStudent
RustyBanjo
ChrisBen
Siesta
StartingOverNW
Sadsadgirl
Ento
Old 02-23-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

My day has been all over the place - up, down and everything in between.

From about 5pm - 7pm I was a little bit stressed over something, nothing major at all, but AV rushed in and took full advantage of the situation and tried to convince me that I could get rid of the stress by drinking. So for 2 long hours I struggled. I couldn't come on here for support because my internet was down.

But I won in the end! Im still sober.

My only regret is that at about 6pm I went up to the diary to get some milk and ended up yelling like a lunatic at this woman who stole my park. I was clearly indicating for the park, but she swooped in. I ended up having to park half way down the street "(its a small street, but still). When I walked up the hill and got to the diary she was coming out as I was going in, so I gave her a piece of my mind. Normally, and even whilst drinking, I would NEVER behave like that. Oh well she got me at a bad time - right in the middle of a raging withdrawl meltdown.

But I forgave myself fairly quickly:-)
Old 02-23-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I was playing Replacements CDs tonight and it hit me, their music is a trigger for me. Every song reminds me of some place or event where I was drunk, including a time in college when I got drunk with their bass player, Tommy. I wonder how many other bands that I loved are going to be problematic.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Yeah music gets many people drinking, not necessarily problem drinking, but it is synonymous with drinking.

Perhaps put them away out of sight and mind for a while.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
If some of you have a bit of spare time to message some of our classmates who haven't shown up to school for a while, they are truants, haha (just kidding), that would be a nice thing to do. No pressure on them, just to ask how they are etc.

I am quite concerned about 83mamaOf2, she has openly admitted in here that she is really struggling with her cravings, "so bad I cant stand it".

We cant make anybody join us. We cant make anybody want to become sober. We all know it must come from within and be initiated by us. But my thinking is why would anybody repeatedly and repeatedly try to become sober again and again and post in here if they didn't want to quit. I honestly think some really do want to quit but are really struggling.
Oh and Im struggling too. But I wouldn't say Im really struggling. No doubt there will be plenty of days where I will. Today for instance I really struggled for 2 hours, but the rest of the day I never thought about it.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Didn't log in yesterday, not a good sign. Been very busy and thoughts of drinking have been popping into my head. I have to attend an event next Friday which is a very boozy long lunch affair. It's work related and I cancelled once but when I explained to my host the reason why (I was honest) we ended up agreeing that I'd stay off the booze. This is going to be a big test and I'll be staying close to SR on that day. Sorry for being a stranger, will make time to read up on how everyone is doing tonight.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's natural to worry about classmates that drop out - but as you say cococo you can't force anyone to post.

I'd just like to reassure anyone that hasn't posted for a while, or those who are struggling that the support is the same as it ever was and you'll get a warm, non judgmental welcome here

outonthetiles - you may want to stop listening to certain bands or songs for a while.

Music never triggered me but some tv shows did.

Once I made my mind up tho, nothing phased me not even the programmes I used to watch drunk and or stoned.

I'm sure the same will happen with you and music

5upersonic - you have a good few days to make a watertight plan for that work occasion

D
Old 02-23-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Cococo, hang in there. Sorry you had the meltdown, but I can relate. After a few days sober I want to cuss everyone out, especially in this town I dislike so much I'm trying to learn how to not get so worked up.

Having trouble sleeping, thoughts racing.

Edited
Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Thank you bluedog

I ate a whole pizza to myself for dinner tonight. Not the size of American pizzas though. Ours are small - medium sized. I got a medium :-) That made me feel better.

When my head has racing thoughts that prevent me from sleeping I watch and listen to ASMR videos on youtube. A friend put me onto it a year ago. At first I thought WTF! It seemed very weird! But wow did it work. I watch/listen several times a week at least. Theres no harm in trying to see if it relaxes you and puts you sleep. I put my laptop brightness right down on the lowest setting and watch a video, I also turn the volume down to wherever its soft.

I don't know if Im allowed to post third party websites on here, I guess I'll find out if Im told off.

Here are 3 of my favourite ASMR artists:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/GentleW...&sort=p&view=0

https://www.youtube.com/user/ASMRreq...rt=p&flow=grid

https://www.youtube.com/user/Massage...ew=0&flow=grid

You hang in there too Blue
Old 02-24-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

One thing that has worried me is continuing to have racing thoughts, even long after quitting. I can remember having them as a teenager before I even started drinking. I think it's a one reason I started.

I'll check it out Cococo, good timing.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

5upersonic

Dee is right. I would be coming up with a solid plan, and a back up plan.

Could you take somebody along who you trust. Somebody who would and could pull you away from the table and take you away home is they could see you were getting too tempted.

Or maybe you could sit right beside your boss and tell him/her again about your sobriety and how you must not drink, so could they please watch out for you.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:20 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Old T

Congratulations on being sober for 1 week.

I read your post about how much better you look and how much happier you are since deciding to go sober. Your body will be better on the inside too,

How was your meeting today?

I havent heard from you much today. I was just wondering how my mate old tomato is.

I hope you pop in later for a read, catch up and post.

Coco X
Old 02-24-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Going to bed. Day 3 done. Thank you sooo much for that list Coco! Wow! That was really awesome off u. Will report when I waKe.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Morning all! I'm feeling good about today. Thinking about looking into taking a class and starting a job search. I do have a job but my hours are getting lower and lower and will probably soon be nonexistent. What do you guys think? Too soon? (I'm a week sober.)

Karen - Let us know how you get on. I'm glad you're taking action, don't let a slip turn into something bigger.

Coco - It's great that you're so aware of what your AV is up to. It'll grasp onto anything and everything to try and get you to take a drink. It'll get better over time and you'll find out what your best way to deal with it is. I'm finding that my biggest trigger is still being in the house by midday, so I'm going to have to make sure that doesn't happen!
Also, thanks for checking in on me! Haven't been to the meeting yet (I cannot get my head around these time zones! ), I'm leaving in just under two hours. Sorry for not posting much last night, I was super tired and went straight to bed after my check in. How goes it with you today? I know you had a bit of fight with your AV.

OOTT - I know that feeling. I had to wipe a lot of the songs from my playlist because they were drinking songs. It sucks, but I'd rather not listen to them than trigger my AV.

5upersonic - Good to see you're still around. Will there be many people there that know you're sober? They might be able to help you out.

bluedog - Look into other ways to deal with these racing thoughts, maybe relaxation techniques will work for you? Booze makes your sleeping problems even worse!

CuteNGay - Congrats on Day 3, looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Thanks for the list coco. Helps to keep us accountable. I think I may be in a similar place in the world to you? Going by your Timezone.
I am meeting up with a drinking friend tomorrow for dinner. I haven't seen her for ages and really can't put it off. Just not sure what to tell her. There's actually about 10 reasons why I'm not drinking. Not just one. Not sure which one to say, cos they are actually all true. Does that make sense?
Saw my doctor again today just for a check up on my progress. Felt great to be able to tell him I'm nearly up to 2.5 weeks sober. I'm staying on the meds and checking in with him again in about a month