Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 5

Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Haris2014 View Post
I have had quite a nasty cold this last week, coughing and sneezing and general symptoms. i have managed to convince myself that i have liver problems.. and to be honest i really don't want to go to the doctors until i have a month or two of sobriety under my belt. for reasons i can't really explain to be honest..
I can completely relate to your sentiments regarding the doctor. In late 2014, I had a lump appear out of nowhere. I convinced myself it was just a swollen lymph node and ignored it for weeks. When it didn't go away, I finally went to the doctor to get it checked out. In addition to assessing that, he ordered several blood tests that I wasn't interested in knowing the results.

The lump turned out to be fine, but my liver enzymes were not great. I was told to stop drinking for at least one to two months and get reevaluated. Of course I didn't stop and continued heavily drinking daily until January of this year. Fast forward - I'm being discharged from the hospital (last month) and my liver enzymes are still bad, but they were steadily decreasing each day from the time I was admitted. Which is a very good thing.

I guess my point is that I was not interested and afraid to know what was going on with my body and health; and if you've ever been to detox, you know they obnoxiously wake you at 3 or 4 AM every morning to draw your blood. Now that I know what's wrong (and what isn't), I feel way more empowered. Not trying to convince you to go to the doctor, but it's nice to know what you need to work on and what you don't need to worry about.
Z
Old 02-04-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Olivia

congrats on 30 day Sunny and big congrats on beating down the AV

Haris I felt sure I was going to get a terminal sentence from the doctor but everything was ridiculously fine

If you're ill and you need the doctor - use them

Thanks for the well wishes too - not too bad today

D
Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

I am feeling really anxious right now. A conversation I just had at work is reminding me of a situation at a previous job that really didn't end well. Rationally I think everything is fine, but I'm riding the Worst Case Scenario Train to Panic Station.

I hate that it takes so little to get on that train. And I hate that my gut reaction is, stop for beer on the way home. I will not be better off tomorrow if I come in hungover. But man, I want the pressure in my chest (anxiety) to go away.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Evening all. This thread continues to rock. You're all awesome.

I survived my business trip, although it was majorly hectic. (And I packed in a rush which meant I somehow packed canestan cream instead of toothpaste! Stupid airline security rubbish.) had access to various different events, all open bar, waitress service etc and I survived! I managed to dodge a big party and even the airport/flight home which would usually be an easy excuse for a few drinks I just had soda water. Absolutely exhausted now and have a rotten cold which isn't helping... But hey, better than a hangover.

Zeebs... I'm due my second blood test after the doc gave me the 'high liver enzymes' result to see how things are. In fact it should have been last week but I've not booked it yet. Not sure why... I'm not scared of it particularly, it is what,it is... I guess in a way if I get good test results the AV will use it on me... "You're all clear! Let's get some wine! "

Sending good (albeit snotty) vibes to everyone... I heard a quote yesterday which I figured I'd share. The context can be anything but may be useful to some peeps here:

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." It's actually misattributed to Gandhi. I translate it as "stay strong and you will prevail."
Old 02-04-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Thank you guys... Odelle Sun illi Thump Dee and everyone. Oh well, it's behind me. I ain't gonna let that crap rule me!!! My g'daughter always says Girls Rule and Girls Rock! And she says Oh Brother really funny!

Guys rock too! And Thunp, I'll take that hand up!

Sun good for putting it back!

Van - love sticker idea! Kinda like a special treat.

Darn, drawing a blank on person with a lump. I had something like that and didn't think much about it These days I sure would nearly panic. I ended up with a total hysterectomy shortly after my mind passed from ovarian cancer. Keep up with your body and your blood work. My doctor could feel the lump, so could I!

Well, back to work at home.

Thank you all again. I am not gonna let booze run my life. End of story.

Olivia
Old 02-04-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

MAV - hope the follow-up blood work is all good. Please don't go with the "You're all clear! Let's get some wine!" idea though

Oliva - no lump problems. Just saying that's what got me to see a doctor in 2014 - wasn't looking for his advice about not drinking (at that time).
Old 02-04-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get off the train SB. Worrying about stuff that may never happen is a godsend for your AV.

starve the little booger out

D
Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Thanks, Dee. You know what I'm realizing is really helpful? I told my friend who I was talking to that this whole situation was totally making me incredibly anxious - just hitting on all my triggers. And then I told you guys I was anxious. And then? I felt a lot better. I think my anxiety and my AV is greatly weakened when I speak about them out loud. So simple, but as I'm discovering, so effective.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Hi my January lovelies,
Just a quick check in-I’m on day 26.  Feeling ok besides the awful drinking dreams that I’m still having. I’m pretty tired and wake up emotional but I am STILL sober so I need to hang onto that. I’m also back to shoving sugar down my gob! Lol… Lollies, chocolate and chips are part of my new evening routine-so that needs to stop ASAP. Going to end up like a house!
Sunflower- I’m very proud of you that you put that bottle back. I am thankful that none of our Supermarkets sell alcohol in Perth. It’s bad enough seeing a bottle shop next door when I do my grocery shopping. Well done on day 30. Now the challenge really starts to keep going with staying sober. You can do this… You’re already doing it! Hang on there..and if you find you’re struggling come here and post first.. that’s what we’re all here for.
Olivia- I’m so happy you’re back! It takes a lot of guts to admit to a slip and then get back on that wagon- Keep going girl-we missed you
Strongbird- I can so relate to suffering anxiety. Mine was 1000 times worse when I was drinking or hungover but I still have some moments here and there. Can you spend some time with a close friend? Talk it out-sometimes even thought we don’t know our triggers just by having a chat can lesson the intensity… Feel better soon x
Mav- Had to giggle about the canestan instead of toothpaste!! That’s something I would do if I wasn’t wearing my contacts-I’m blind as a bat!! Lol Well done on staying sober on your Business trip. Sounds like there were a lot of temptations.
I’m at work-Hope you all have a great day or night…. I’m going to an extra meeting tonight in another city with someone I met at one of my normal meetings…Can’t do any harm. xx
Old 02-04-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Thanks Nic! Used to be I'd beat myself up! This time I'm just chugging on thru! Previously also, I couldn't (or wouldn't) come back so quickly. So I am happy about this part of my stupid stunt!!

I just googled Amy. Wow. Drank herself to death. 5x legal limit. I told my son to get it.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by StrongBird View Post
I am feeling really anxious right now. A conversation I just had at work is reminding me of a situation at a previous job that really didn't end well. Rationally I think everything is fine, but I'm riding the Worst Case Scenario Train to Panic Station.

I hate that it takes so little to get on that train. And I hate that my gut reaction is, stop for beer on the way home. I will not be better off tomorrow if I come in hungover. But man, I want the pressure in my chest (anxiety) to go away.
You've got the first step, which is to observe yourself thinking this way. That means that you're able to change it.

My buddy Radar told me something regarding this sort of situation that might be of help to you --live in the now. You can't fix the past, and you cannot control the future. Let go of what you cannot affect, and take charge of that which is under your span of control.

Good on you for not seizing the excuse, SB. Stay strong!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

StrongBird, worrying about something that may never transpire is a known health hazard, STOP IT! Easier said than done, I know because I am guilty of doing the same thing. And you know what? 99% of the time the situation I was stressing about never happened; what a waste of energy. I’m still learning too, but try to stay in the moment and live for today, try to plan for tomorrow, and deal with the rest when it arrives.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

It's been a long day for me so I'm headed off to slumber land. Sweet dreams to some and Happy Friday to others!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say hello. Finishing up day 35 and looking forward to the weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!:-)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Checking in late today and getting ready for the weekend here in Australia. Don't have enough time to read everyone's posts from yesterday so i am just going to send positive thought and good vibes everyone's way. Have a great weekend everyone
Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Thanks Nic! Used to be I'd beat myself up! This time I'm just chugging on thru! Previously also, I couldn't (or wouldn't) come back so quickly. So I am happy about this part of my stupid stunt!!

I just googled Amy. Wow. Drank herself to death. 5x legal limit. I told my son to get it.

Have a good evening everyone.
You've done an amazing job.. Don't reckon I could come back so strong... We leanr lessons-and hopefully don't repeat them againxx
Old 02-04-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
It's been a long day for me so I'm headed off to slumber land. Sweet dreams to some and Happy Friday to others!
Goodnight Odelle hun... Sweet sweet dreams xxx
Old 02-04-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Just checking in to say hello. Finishing up day 35 and looking forward to the weekend.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!:-)
35 days is so great Delilah!!! Well done! Are you staring to feel clearer in the head and healthier? I have a lot more energy now than I used to in general but the crazy dreams seem to be getting worse!!!
What are your plans for the weekend?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pedro1234 View Post
Checking in late today and getting ready for the weekend here in Australia. Don't have enough time to read everyone's posts from yesterday so i am just going to send positive thought and good vibes everyone's way. Have a great weekend everyone
Hope your weekend is a great one too Pedro! Where in Oz are you from? It's going to be stinking hot in Perth next week here.... Thank goodness for aircon!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Greetings, all, from me on Day 13.
Thank you for the well-wishes, I'm pleased to say I felt a bit better today.
I'm waiting for my scales to budge some more, however I seem to be quite tranquil about it because I know I'm eating clean and improving my health every day, regardless of what the scales show.
Ended up making some Be Sleepy tea at around midnight last night, mind was very full of random thoughts and I could not sleep. Finally I left the radio on quietly as a distraction and was able to drift off.
This is such a busy thread, it's great!
Take care, all.