Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Zeebs

Originally Posted by Haris2014 View Post
I have had quite a nasty cold this last week, coughing and sneezing and general symptoms. i have managed to convince myself that i have liver problems.. and to be honest i really don't want to go to the doctors until i have a month or two of sobriety under my belt. for reasons i can't really explain to be honest..
I can completely relate to your sentiments regarding the doctor. In late 2014, I had a lump appear out of nowhere. I convinced myself it was just a swollen lymph node and ignored it for weeks. When it didn't go away, I finally went to the doctor to get it checked out. In addition to assessing that, he ordered several blood tests that I wasn't interested in knowing the results.

The lump turned out to be fine, but my liver enzymes were not great. I was told to stop drinking for at least one to two months and get reevaluated. Of course I didn't stop and continued heavily drinking daily until January of this year. Fast forward - I'm being discharged from the hospital (last month) and my liver enzymes are still bad, but they were steadily decreasing each day from the time I was admitted. Which is a very good thing.

I guess my point is that I was not interested and afraid to know what was going on with my body and health; and if you've ever been to detox, you know they obnoxiously wake you at 3 or 4 AM every morning to draw your blood. Now that I know what's wrong (and what isn't), I feel way more empowered. Not trying to convince you to go to the doctor, but it's nice to know what you need to work on and what you don't need to worry about.
Z