Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 5

Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

TigerLili, I was drinking 4-6 cups of coffee a day, on average, sometimes more, sometimes topped off with ice tea in the afternoon. I was aware of the afternoon crashes, which triggered the after work cravings for wine, and of course, cigarettes. The 3 seemed so entwined in my addicted brain that I decided to sever the cord and get through the WD’s now, while I am not working. Previous attempts to quit smoking were horrific failures due to my crankiness; even I couldn’t stand my own company. This round is smooth sailing (in comparison), I’m happy to report.

Once I am well grounded in my sobriety, I may have coffee again, I just won’t make it a daily habit. My morning wake-up drink now is detox tea and breathe easy tea; I’m trying to clean out my poor lungs!

Sunflower – So, you derailed a few days on your diet, stop and get back on the low carb, no gluten diet. I too cheat occasionally, but for the most part, stick with it. Get some gluten free snacks for when you just feeling like eating between meals, Veggie straw/chips and Late July chips are good, or apples with vanilla almond butter if you feel like something sweet, yum!

Banti, I love your rewards program, I need to set one for myself. You sound great, keep it up!

Shantilove, Lulu and KDB, congratulations on 30 days!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Bandicoot- I am a firm believer in balancing things like Leptin and Insulin which is why low carb works so well for me, keeping insulin low is a huge part of cravings and weight loss. That's why I am so mad at myself, because I was doing it and it was working and now these cravings are here because of all the carbs I have eaten in the last four days (toxic hunger).

I'd love to see the link you are talking about, thanks so much for your support.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Good afternoon, y'all. Thanks for the kind words and support last night, it was a huge help.

Oddly enough, after the spell of angst, she texted me out of the blue. We had a friendly exchange of texts and she said she'd get to writing a reply to the letter I sent her last week. Over the last few days, I've realized that what is causing my angst is my refusal to let go of the hurts we inflicted on each other the last six months of our relationship.

So that becomes part of my goal for recovery: letting go of the hurts she did to me, and working to better myself so that I don't hurt anyone else like I hurt her.

Congrats to Lulu, KDB, Shanti and Sunflower on your milestones. I sure do feel like an idiot now for having slipped last week ... everyone is lapping me!

I hope everyone has a great day/evening today/tonight. Peace and love, people.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Good afternoon, y'all. Thanks for the kind words and support last night, it was a huge help.

Over the last few days, I've realized that what is causing my angst is my refusal to let go of the hurts we inflicted on each other the last six months of our relationship.

So that becomes part of my goal for recovery: letting go of the hurts she did to me, and working to better myself so that I don't hurt anyone else like I hurt her.
Hey Thump, that is good news, I am glad you got to speak with her through texts and that she will responding to your email.

Forgiveness can be so liberating- I have an ex who hurt me like no other (lying, cheating, stealing) and I of course hurt him as well. We ended up exchanging a few words on FB a few months back and I told him I had forgiven him and hoped he could do that same. It really took a lot of weight off of me. I hope one day you can feel that way when it comes to all the pain you have endured from your last relationship. We all deserve to forgive and be forgiven. Life goes on, afterall and resentment (even towards ourselves) can make it so hard to move forward.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Odelle- I love detox teas, especially the Peach Detox by Yogi, have you tried that one? You sound great- congrats again on ditching the coffee and cigs- I quit smoking almost 6 years ago so I know how hard it is! Sounds like you've got this
Old 02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - I hope you are all doing well (I'm still catching up on the last several thread pages). Been MIA with family in town to ski; they were all quite supportive of my decision to put down the bottle. Today is day 21 for me. Brain fog is pretty awful and I started to develop heart palpations when I lay down again, ugh. Working with the doctor on that one. Hope you all have a terrific Wednesday.
Z
Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Hope you are all feeling well. Just checking in to see what everyone is up too. Have a great day everyone
Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Morning beautiful classmates !!
Day 25! Exhausted!! Been staying around after my evening meetings chatting and making friends with people from my local AA GROUP!!
Hope you're all doing well and staying on track!!
Will catch up with everyone's posts later today!! Feel like I've missed pages!!!

Sending love and hugs!! Stay strong xxxx
Old 02-03-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Work finally posted our schedules. Besides being slave labor and feeling like I'm in the Army again, they have the nerve to completely disregard what they promised when the hired me. All I asked for was 40 regular daytime hours with weekends off to spend at home. A weekend consisting of 2 consecutive days... I told them Sat & Sun, Fri & Sat or Sun & Mon. Did I get that? Nope. I have Wednesdays & Sundays off WTF.

Today is my only day off until next Wednesday. Apparently everyone works on SuperBowl Sunday . I woke early with the bf to go to his parents house at 4:30am to help his father get his mother ready for surgery this morning. Let me clarify, my bf went to work and I went to help because I'm just sweet like that and I do like his parents. After I got them off I headed down to my own house to check on things. I ended up sleeping for a few hours and then dragged my 17 year old to the HS to sign him out of school. He stopped going early in the school year, refuses to go, refuses to do his homework. We've been to truancy court once and they were going to fine me if it continued and it has. The VP called on Monday and said they would start fining me if he didn't start coming. He hasn't and he won't so I signed him out, with a heavy heart. He's making a big mistake but he won't listen. Still sad over it right now.

I met with my AA friend for lunch, he's having some challenges of his own. Not with drinking but a prescription he's coming off so he's feeling as badly as most of did when we stopped drinking. I'm 20 days abstinenet but was in wd's for a good (read bad) week and a half. I feel world's better, can't imagine going through it again. He was there for me 3 weeks ago, I'm there for him as much as I can be. Like my bf, his wife doesn't understand addiction. We might go to a meeting tonight... We both need it. But, I'm so tired from working, waiting for my bf to get home from the hospital and need to be here for him too. And then there's dinner. I may have enough cookies and ice cream left for more ice cream sandwiches lol.

Congrats to Lulu, KDB, Shanti and Sunflower on 30 days. Awesome!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hi Sunflower, I love Yogi teas. I haven’t tried the peach detox, my last trip to Sprouts had most of the Yogi teas picked through due to a sale, so I’m stuck with the regular detox for now. My favorite is Healthy Skin, it smells and tastes delicious!

Zeebs, I’m sorry to hear you are having heart palpitations at this stage, the brain fog is pretty common. I hope you are able to work that out with your doctor, my first thought is too much coffee? Congratulations on 3 weeks!

Hi Pedro, I’m still moving along at a steady pace, not too much friction in my life at the moment. How are you doing?

It sounds like you’ve found a good AA group, Nic. That’s great, the more support the better!

I’m sorry about the work situation Gypsy, maybe once everything settles down they will be able to work with you on a schedule more suited to you. On another note, teenagers can be very trying at times. It’s too bad you signed him out already, is it possible for him to finish in an Independent Study program? Those are usually through the district, allowing students to work independently from home, checking in once a week.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 30 days: Lulu, KDB, Shanti Sunflower delilah Bandicoot and anyone I've missed

sorry for my absence - migraines - still battling through :

D
Old 02-03-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Hey Thump, that is good news, I am glad you got to speak with her through texts and that she will responding to your email.

Forgiveness can be so liberating- I have an ex who hurt me like no other (lying, cheating, stealing) and I of course hurt him as well. We ended up exchanging a few words on FB a few months back and I told him I had forgiven him and hoped he could do that same. It really took a lot of weight off of me. I hope one day you can feel that way when it comes to all the pain you have endured from your last relationship. We all deserve to forgive and be forgiven. Life goes on, afterall and resentment (even towards ourselves) can make it so hard to move forward.
Well, I've forgiven most of them, and to be fair to her, the hurts she inflicted pale in comparison to those I did her -- I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in my last post. Anyway, in my letter I owned my misdeeds unsparingly and I asked her forgiveness.

What I have to do is stop mulling them over, and stop allowing my AV to butt in with "justifications" for my being hurtful. Personal growth is a painful thing sometimes, and I'll have to find it in me to forgive myself as well.

It's a good day, having that thought in mind.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Hi Sunflower, I love Yogi teas. I haven’t tried the peach detox, my last trip to Sprouts had most of the Yogi teas picked through due to a sale, so I’m stuck with the regular detox for now. My favorite is Healthy Skin, it smells and tastes delicious!

Zeebs, I’m sorry to hear you are having heart palpitations at this stage, the brain fog is pretty common. I hope you are able to work that out with your doctor, my first thought is too much coffee? Congratulations on 3 weeks!

Hi Pedro, I’m still moving along at a steady pace, not too much friction in my life at the moment. How are you doing?

It sounds like you’ve found a good AA group, Nic. That’s great, the more support the better!

I’m sorry about the work situation Gypsy, maybe once everything settles down they will be able to work with you on a schedule more suited to you. On another note, teenagers can be very trying at times. It’s too bad you signed him out already, is it possible for him to finish in an Independent Study program? Those are usually through the district, allowing students to work independently from home, checking in once a week.
Hi Odelle
I am going surprisingly well so far. I am on day 35 and feeling quite positive and managing to keep my AV well at bay. I just keep extremely busy so as not to have too much time to sit and ponder. Glad you are going well
Old 02-03-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on 30 days: Lulu, KDB, Shanti Sunflower delilah Bandicoot and anyone I've missed

D
Hope you feel better soon. sending healing vibes
Old 02-03-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post

No indépendant study program at this school no. He claims he's going to go back in September and start 11th grade again... at age 18. He has missed so much school it's impossible for him to bring his grades up to passing even if he didn't miss a day and got 100's on everything. I had to sign him out. No other choice. The school fines would be $250 per absence and half that for lates. I do not have any money much less that much money for fines.

On the subject of detox teas... Traditional Medicines has a roasted dandelion root tea that's good. It doesn't taste great but it's not bad with some raw honey in it.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
not a greeter

D
I have just the thing for your migraines Dee....

How's that? All better?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Thanks Odelle! I thought the palpitations were over after I was discharged from detox at the hospital... But, they came back. Doctor and counselor think anxiety and stress are causing them (I haven't had caffeine for over five years). As an addict, they're obviously careful prescribing me things
Old 02-03-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hey Thump...Glad you're communicating and working on yourself to move past the hurt. Forgiveness is liberating as is knowing you've done the best you could do to better the outcome whatever that turns out to be.

35 days Pedro WooHoo .
Old 02-03-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

D
Hang in there, brotha.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks guys - even Gyps

D