Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Day 3.
Well nobody's answering their phones. I'm at work for another hr. Father inlaws on his deathbed, I think. They're struggling to get drs to call them back. He's throwing upset food, not breathing, hallucinating.
I don't know anymore than that.
I have no time off left and a silent threat of being fired. I can't get my 2 kids off to daycare and school and get to work on time. I doomsday scenario'd a possible after school way to a neighbors house for my 7 yr old , verified it as well.
I feel like I'm about to get pushed into a corner again with no way out. My wife hasn't said anything about it yet, but I'm about to crack, not being able to find out what's going on.
Somebody please tell me a different way to look at this.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

5 days sober. Longest I've been sober since last June. Rough day today though, banging headache, chaos at home with kids going back to school, manic at work and my AV giving me a hard time. The thought of having a drink to 'escape' has plagued me all day. Just got in from roller derby training and usually I'd reward myself by soaking in the bath and downing vodka. Very proud of the fact I came straight home, did not stop at the store and am drinking tea instead.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Update:
Situation not like I thought it was, just yet. Heard my wife speak of accepting what was coming. She said she's just running around trying to make her father comfortable as possible. Day 3 DTs. My heads just not right. Whew!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Sober since 1st January 2016

Originally Posted by loopylou69 View Post
5 days sober. Longest I've been sober since last June. Rough day today though, banging headache, chaos at home with kids going back to school, manic at work and my AV giving me a hard time. The thought of having a drink to 'escape' has plagued me all day. Just got in from roller derby training and usually I'd reward myself by soaking in the bath and downing vodka. Very proud of the fact I came straight home, did not stop at the store and am drinking tea instead.
Brilliant well done. Day 5 here too. Forget that AV we're steaming towards one week and then?? Who knows!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the situation is not as bad as you feared JL. I was in a cycle like that - I used up all my sick leave and holidays through drinking and then when I really needed the days they weren't there.

Is unpaid leave an option for you?

Staying sober will help you build up those days again, anyway

well done Gerd and LoopyLou - good to see you back too Shantilove

How's it going Illi?

D
Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Another day just about done here. Well done to everyone else en route to clocking another day.

Pretty quiet day for me, work quiet, weather lousy but feel pretty good. The bits of discomfort and irratability have backed off, and going to the gym last few days has given me a good outlet during the 5-7pm witching hours.

I'm starting to appreciate a certain stillness and calm in my mind, but have to keep reminding myself of my daily drills, affirmative words, reminding myself of the reasons i'm doing this to stay focussed.

Hope others are starting to slowly feel better in themselves, slow process, but I'm starting to feel so much better already. I'm lucky at present to have decent stability in my life to do this, hope others less fortuante can find ways through difficulties in days to come.

Take care all for now.

CC
Old 01-05-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of strength!I made it through my shift with out a drink. Applekat- playing the situation through really helped.
ClearCut-thank you for the reminder that it is my choice to remain sober.
Sober Wolf- I will look into belly breathing.
Im going to relax and have some tea now
Old 01-05-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Just a note to say way to go class!
Good night to day 5.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me. What a relief.

I've only been drinking 5ish beers a night recently so no real DTs but that still does not stop the AV from working overtime. Got about 4 hours sleep which will do nicely.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
obxpaul

Another Day on the long road to Sobriety... Everything went pretty well, feeling better,a little more thought clarity, guts not hurting and not really giving in to that little voice saying "just a shot of booze would be just RIGHT". Might be the Devil, but not the religious type (STILL might be the Devil). Even after a full day's work, have a LOT of time on my hands so I have to get used to the idea of being more productive at home. Perhaps an exercise program might be in order?

It snowed here on the Outer Banks today, and pretty damned cold too. I was thinking that a few weeks ago, I would have used the snow and cold as a reason to sip some booze and get that belly warmth one gets as he poisons himself. Coffee worked pretty well, though. Little differences are really pretty big differences I am finding out.

One thing that is puzzling me - I have not, as yet, had any really serious symptoms of alcohol withdrawal - maybe a little anxiety caused by the fear of slipping up- but generally things are going well. I do have a physically active job so that might be tiring me, but i have slept pretty well these few days. Right now, being sober beats Hell out of any vitamins I am taking. Not being overconfident because I know I am my own worst enemy in this battle. Just seeking any feedback on the idea of just feeling better without debilitating withdrawal symptoms. I am doing this with support from family but am not in a program or under a Doctor's care. That would be the next step if I fail again, I imagine.

You guys' dialogue is just invaluable to me, it lets me realize that I am not alone in this struggle. You all, and all the SR forum members have my thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, it is the end of day 2. I have had many day 1's and many stretches of 7-9 days but I have never been sick like this before. I don't know if it is the flu or withdrawals. I went to work this morning but had to take 3 breaks when getting ready because I have no energy and then they sent me home. I have been in bed since I got home. I am eating oranges and drinking orange juice. Oranges sound good for some reason. I hope everyone is doing well and I am hoping this passes tomorrow.

Happy Wednesday everyone
Old 01-06-2016, 01:11 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hi all, working the plan. It's really changing my perspective.
Don't escape, don't drink. We are doing just fine.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Well done everyone in the January 2016 class.

I have been in some January classes before and, one time, I cracked it. So now I am 2 years sober and my life has changed dramatically for the better. I just wanted to let you all know that this is possible and SR has been the start of something so much better for so many of us.

Congratulations, one and all.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. We are a brave bunch of souls I think.

Optimist4ever have you tried fishoil and glucosamine echronditon and turmeric and flaxseed/linseed for your arthritis? I take it for mine and my carpel tunnel and it really helps a lot. I know for me personally alcohol really makes my arthritis and carpel tunnel much worse. Don't give yourself a hard time for drinking, just remind yourself how brave you are for facing up to stuff and working at changing things... and start again.

Illi1111 working in a bar is a hard one. Glad to hear your were able to get through the first shift back ok.

JL2014 I also have a massive habit of catastrophizing. Its such a hard habit to break but I am trying. Being sober definitely helps a lot I think.

Emme I feel like my hangovers have gotten progressively worse quite quickly. Hope you feel better soon.

I went to the gym again today after work (my first shift back after shamefully taking days off to recover - so I was stressed, but the day played out ok). I have to say the gym is a miracle for me. I do a very small amount of cardio and then about 20 min of light weights - but heavy for me. Doing weights for me is almost like a mindful meditation, I am really concentrating on the movements, and I do very measured deep breathing some of the time (you are forced to breath deeply when lifting weights).... I read someone that strength training reduced cortisol a lot - thereby reducing anxiety. It really helps me. And it is cool getting toned arms and abs as well. Less crazy and I look better . I feel like Im getting a bit better at catching myself thinking the self sabotaging thoughts too. I may need to spend the rest of my life working on that one.

Have a great day/night everyone.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Long day done and dusted. These last two relapses sure have knocked me harder than any other, insomnia and feeling off balance and just not good, but 2 days done now. Ready for bed. I'm exhausted so I'm hopping I'll sleep well tonight. Good night everyone!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Yesterday was the worst. Really terrible things at work, and I couldnt sleep at night. I felt desperate. But, to my amazement, I didnt crave a drink.

Starting day 6 now.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Starting day 5.
This gonna hurt this time. Gonna take a while to get over it feels like. I had better learn.
Hoping good day for all here.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I'd love snow. We hardly ever get any. We had loads in 2010 round about now and everyone is posting pics on FB as reminders. It'd be nice if we got some this year. My boys have never seen proper snow - they are 6 and 8 so were only babies when it last happened. It caused chaos but it would be lovely to be snowed in again!

Another good day for me today. Last night was a nightmare and I ended up eating chocolate which I'm not supposed to be doing either.

I have had many long periods of sobriety. I am down to drinking a few days maybe 4 times a year (why I can't stop this I don't know!) but one of the things is I still appreciate sobriety. Occasionally I will be walking down the street and it hits me how grateful I am that I can hold my head high (I'm not paranoid that people are looking at me knowing what I'd done the day/week before) and that my head is clear. I can see my old self in strangers in the supermarket or walking down the street sometimes and I wish I could tell them it can get better.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this JL

D
Old 01-06-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Hello January! Here's to another sober day, class. I will not drink today, I will not drink today...I finished up our ice cream last night so no more of that in the house either! 😮

I mentioned the other day that I enjoyed the book Drinking: A Love Story. I wanted to share another title - Parched by Heather King.

Wishing you all the best and am thankful for this group. I wish I could address each of you this morning but it's hard on my phone and I'm sitting in the car with a sleeping baby in the backseat. 😊