Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

So my self-hypnosis MP3 .... Twice the guy says "alcohol is LIKE poison". Heck, it is POISON. You might as well pour gasoline (ethanol) down your throat. I feel like I've been pushing my luck long enough. Alcohol causes tons of different types of cancers, liver failure, heart attacks, brain problems and more.

Time to lead a healthy life!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Hi Sillyhuman. Day Two nearly done here in Europe! Hope you're staying strong!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Hi everybody. Day 7 here. Feeling very depressed today. Just want to curl up in the corner and cry. I know this will pass and the longer I go without drinking the better I will feel. I just want to feel normal again. Hang in there everybody. Let's keep supporting each other. We can do this.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Timeforchange, stay strong!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Day one for me...again. I'm hoping this time it sticks. Trying to figure out what my plan is, but, for now, I'll seek help with this group and SR. Wish me luck everyone. Hang in there and let's support each other for the rest of this month (and beyond!)...
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Please let next 2 hrs pass fast.
Gettin run down bad at work. 1 more day then off this weekend. Ready to dog out some junkfood or soda ice cream floats or something. My kids have never had coke/ ice cream floats. Gonna buy some ice cream pronto !
Old 01-07-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening everyone
Old 01-07-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Day 4 - bouncing back

This is my 5th attempt at sobriety in the past 6 years, and the first time I that I finally feel ready to make the change. Maybe it's because I'm older, just turned 31, or maybe it's because I've had two years of therapy.

Another thing that helps is Naltrexone. It seems to have removed that insatiable need to get blasted that overcomes me like clockwork immediately after I leave the office for the day.

There's also AA. As much as I dislike meetings and Big Book thumpers, there's still comfort in knowing that I never have to say these 2 sentences: I can drink alcohol in safety, and nobody understands me.

Hope you're all doing well.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome don'tlookbacchus,julyseacoast and shoebox.

I hope you got through work JL, and hope you feel a little better timeforchange - congrats on your week

D
Old 01-07-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timeforchange18 View Post
Hi everybody. Day 7 here. Feeling very depressed today. Just want to curl up in the corner and cry. I know this will pass and the longer I go without drinking the better I will feel. I just want to feel normal again. Hang in there everybody. Let's keep supporting each other. We can do this.
Congrats on day 7. I've not made a day 7 in a long time. I always start drinking in a weekend. I'm not gonna say " I'm gonna" anything anymore. Going through too much crap. I do know, for sure, that depression and all the difficulties get better when we don't drink. Past 2-3 days I've thought " heck I don't want to drink, I want curl up and go away for a while!"
I hear the depression issue loud and clear. This stinks but I'll do my best to stick with this. Soaking in a bath helped.

Oh... Wife just called, father on hospice. I told her she was my hero because she's done more for her father than is possible just about. Whew. That was wrong thing to say. Jeez . Any advice ??
I'm stuck !!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Why would that be a bad thing to say? surely it's a compliment... Or is the situation more complex than that?

Bath is a great idea BTW... Wish,my dog hadn't eaten my bath plug!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think having a father in hospice is a very emotionally charged situation JL. You responded genuinely. Don't beat yourself up and cut your wife a little slack too.

D
Old 01-07-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

I think I better jump in here and join. This thread is a good place to check in.

Had a little bit of a run-in with a family member this afternoon that I have some issues with. Put me in a bad mood. This is the sort of thing we're forced to deal with sober that I have escaped from for so long. It's difficult. Trying to shake it off and stay positive.

Day 2 here.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

JL - I admire your determination to firmly resist drink in these really difficult circumstances. You are doing a great job, a credit to your family, although I know you won't feel convinced of that right now. I don't have any pearls of wisdom on the life situations you describe, but I can say that if you can remain sober, all problems will gradually become clearer, and your ability to cope will expand massively. I managed 7 weeks sober last year, and I remember after several weeks my emotional stability with family and work stresses diminished. Many people in my life noticed and appreciated my more positive mindset, which gave me a big confidence boost.

Timeforchange - don't let go of your trust that things will improve, and likely pretty soon. Try positive music you enjoy, meditation, a good book or whatever it takes in those low minutes/hours. You will get through the other side!

Welcome aboard today's newcomers, we have a really good bunch of people here. I'm convinced that with hard work and belief we can all make a big difference our bodies will thanks us for! I keep thinking ahead to the bright spring sunshine in March / April - I am determined to be able to look back at that point with pride to these tougher early days of sobriety!

Felt pretty good today. Continued my efforts to "block out" my 5-7pm witching hour with exercise and handling my daughter's play/bedtime. Kept moving, busy and engaged in those hours everyday. I've also found eating tasty snacks around then has helped.

Last day of my working week tomorrow. Think I'm going to make a shortlist of fun and specific things to do on Friday/Saturday evenings to keep me firmly on the rails and avoid any drift!

Keep sober and focussed everyone!
CC
Old 01-07-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Day 6 starting for me. I have been not too bad with urges but my sleep has been terrible. I went and had a blood test this morning. I probably should have waited another few weeks but anyway I have done it now. I am so god damn tired. I have the next three days off work - so its basically my danger period for 3 days. Too tired to do anything productive.... Anyway I might try going back to bed to see if I can nap and maybe feel more human if I do. The things I want to do today and over the next 3 days is get my apartment looking nice again. Its a disaster at the moment. And I know if my surroundings look nice I feel better. And I play to go to gym. And not drink.

I can do this. I am not my flaws. I am a good person. I am enough. And I deserve a good life.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa,

You're doing great. Maybe draw up a simple mini-plan just for the three days off. I always found that breaking down a problem makes it winnable.

Maybe do an a.m.-p.m. time slot for each day, with a small task in each, but nothing unachievable or complicated. Give yourself a sense of satisfaction and progression.

Even break the cleaning down into parts. And maybe keep the gym session easy and fun, maybe try some new exercises or a gym class?

Take care and enjoy your days off. Keep it fun but don't demand too much of yourself this early.

CC
Old 01-07-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glb82 View Post
Hi Sillyhuman. Day Two nearly done here in Europe! Hope you're staying strong!
Hi Glb. I had good day two. You sound good! Keep it up. I plan to get on chat this weekend if the forums are not keeping me busy enough. Maybe I'll see you there!
Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timeforchange18 View Post
Hi everybody. Day 7 here. Feeling very depressed today. Just want to curl up in the corner and cry.
Hugs to you Timeforchange. Sometimes tears really are the best medicine. I hope Day 8 is a good one for you.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hi Eyeshake. Good for you for pursuing therapy and Naltrexone. I have read that Naltrexone can increase your chances of sustained sobriety by as much as five times. This part of what you said really hit home:

Originally Posted by eyeshake View Post

There's also AA. As much as I dislike meetings and Big Book thumpers, there's still comfort in knowing that I never have to say these 2 sentences: I can drink alcohol in safety, and nobody understands me.
Now there is a simple truth right there. It's almost enough to make me try another meeting (been to hundreds). Those folks definitely understand the special hell of alcoholism. It is also nice to have the face-to-face reinforcement of recovery and sober friends. Thanks for helping me see it a better light.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Oh... Wife just called, father on hospice. I told her she was my hero because she's done more for her father than is possible just about. Whew. That was wrong thing to say. Jeez . Any advice ??
I'm stuck !!
You said a lovely thing. Your wife is probably in lot of pain. Try to be patient with her, and try not to take it personally. I'm sorry she behaved that way. You deserve better.

Come hang with us in chat this weekend. Maybe we can help each other get through the weekend clean and sober.