Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Welcome all.

Just wanted to post quick sharing that I just watched Lipstick and Liquor - about the growing number of women abusing alcohol. Including Julie's story - the mother who went missing while intoxicated. It's on Amazon Video for anyone who has Prime.
I watched that too recently. It's very enlightening.
I also liked Smashed.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Sober since 1st January 2016

Originally Posted by Jane8 View Post
I watched that too recently. It's very enlightening.
I also liked Smashed.
Are these on Netflix. Not a woman (I don't think) but I really liked Drinking by Caroline Knapp so these might be good
Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Just checked out the book on Amazon and read some reviews. Looks really good. I think there is a lot to mindfulness. A thought is just a thought. I feel a lot more calm since practicing this for about a month+.

Checked out Amazon Prime. Didn't catch how much it is a month. I'd have to get the Internet first. I think there's a lot of ways around paying these cable /dish companies such high rates! I just get tired of playing around on computers/phones though. Sure would love to see those flicks! Maybe have my son put on his PS4 or something.

Thanks for the info.

Anyway, onward ho! Life is good!

Olivia
Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

We have Amazon prime (99 a year) anyway so I was searching on Amazon video bc it is part of it. Smashed - I also saw but had to rent from library - I highly recommend heading to your nearest library for books or movies! I've watched and read a lot of recovery related media.

Of course, YouTube has "Rain in my Heart" a British BBC documentary about alcoholism if you want to scare yourself (which may work for some as a good reminder occasionally). It's a 10 part work and you just need Internet or the app I guess.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0InrPZpjg
Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Got a lot of work done today- chores mostly. Whole holiday vacation sapped by horrible drama. Not today.
Getting it together for tomorrow. Back to it.
Took kids to see father inlaw. He's in bad bad shape. Lymphoma- still untreated. Got a port in for the massive fluid buildup. Everything's a stopgap measure it looks like to me, but I'm not saying that in front of my wife or anyone else. I hope I'm just dead wrong about it.
Felt the stress , shaky stuff again, little while ago. Wanted to drink. Felt that AV starting up. I'm eating a meal now. Stop it in it's tracks that way.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Gerd - I also really liked Drinking: A Love Story

Flight used to be on Netflix; I believe it was removed already. I do know the Intervention series is on Netflix still.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Great info. Thanks AppleKat!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi all, hope everyone's ok

Thanks Applekat and others for the documentary discussion above, I will try and track those down.

Anyone had much in the way of physical symptoms in last few days other than sweats/sleep disturbance?

I noticed last few days I had a bit of abdominal discomfort, not much more than that, but felt like some adjustments were underway. Also quite irritable at times. Both seem to have ebbed away, coming towards end of day 7.

Anyway, hope you're all having a good day!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Hello Clear Cut. I had a myriad of symptoms during my withdrawal back in July including irritability, stomach pains, dizziness, etc. Takes a bit to settle down. You are doing great!

This last drinking brought out sweats and anxiety again. Days of crap for a couple of hours of "relaxing". Not a good ROI.

Committing to 24 hours now in the 24 hour thread! Stay strong everyone!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I will not drink tonight.

I may, however, indulge in bad reality television.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I will not drink tonight.

I may, however, indulge in bad reality television.
The Bachelor?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Good paragraph from the book I'm reading ...

"An alcoholic eventually discovers it's easier to quit drinking than to try to control their drinking. Controlling drinking is hard work! Living a sober life is easier, once you realize that alcohol doesn't define you".
Old 01-04-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
The Bachelor?
Yupper. I'm a sucker.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I would like to join this group if possible. I formally joined July 2015 and did good till octoberish. It's been going down hill since then. I thought I hit bottom the day after Xmas when I went to a bar out of town and ended up getting into it with the manager. I was so drunk that I don't remember any of it, but I did wake up with blood all over everything from the bathroom to the bedroom. I look in the mirror and I have a gash on my nose, gash between my eyes and two black eyes. Did that stop me? No, got drink on New Year's Eve. Here I was running around drunk with my face in shambles. Freakin ridiculous... So here I am on day 4 and I'm trying my best to keep stuff on my gashes to minimize the scarring. Tomorrow I have a psych appointment for a routine check in. I hate the fact that I have to go in looking like this. He's going to tell me that the wilbutrin and Zoloft obviously aren't being taken proper with alcohol in the mix :/ idk, one day at a time is all I can do rite now.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Today is day one for me. I drank 4 cans throughout the day yesterday to ease my anxiety but stopped by 3pm, so I've woken up anxiety free today surprisingly.
I'm going to the gym now to swim for an hour. Buy some fruit to make some smoothies and some peppermint tea.
Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Welcome all the new people, great to meet you.

Today is day 3 for me. Yesterday was better than I thought it would be. I was anxious and shakey in the morning, but did manage to leave the house to get food etc. Then after time on here and much umming and ahhing I did get to the gym and do an easy 35 min workout. And I felt really good for it. I always feel great when and after I exercise. And then after gym I managed to go across the road to the beach and enjoy the fresh air for an hour and a half, just sitting and watching the waves. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but for me that was really positive. I often get a kind of agoraphobia, its really hard to leave the house, and my social anxiety can make just walking into the gym really hard.

Anyway Im spending time on here and journaling. And Im trying to observe and reflect on my thoughts some times. I have a lot of very negative self talk, and i'm working at questioning my thoughts when I am able to, as in mindfulness and CBT.

If anyone has the opportunity and can afford it I strongly recommend doing a group class in mindfulness meditation. Its really helpful. Books are great, but being in a class is an extra layer of support and encouragement. Some community centres run them cheaply. And if we think about all the money we spent on our drugs of choice we have a little spare now . hatha style yoga can really help me to.

have a great day everyone. lets all try to be kind and loving to ourselves today.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Day 2 down. I hope I sleep tonight. I can't take any over the counter stuff, or most medications for sleep. They give me a pill hangover the next morning. Had some herbal stuff that seemed to help, but it's subtle, and alcoholic inflammation is not !
Late afternoon got to me, was snappy with the kids. I'm ashamed of that.
Ashamed. Asking forgiveness and moving on.
Welcome newer people !
Hugs to ones I know.
Glad to not feel so alone !
Old 01-04-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Day 4 here. Going back to work after the holidays was really stressful - but I got through without feeling the urge to drink afterwards. On to day 5!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Lisa- great idea on a class. I will look into that. I usually just recycle the booklet of community classes. Gonna look into this. Face to face would be great.

The money I've saved so far from not drinking, I sent to St Jude's ! $200. One of my favorite charities.

Welcome to the new people. I will have to get a pad of paper and write stuff down like names and such!

Life is good.

Olivia
Old 01-04-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Welcome to everyone new

I hope everyone is doing well. This is the time of day I usually start drinking and I can definitely tell the cravings are there so I am posting and drinking a soda instead. I am cutting soda out of my diet but this is leftover from Christmas and once it is gone I won't buy more.

I am also trying to eat healthier and lose weight this year. I weighed myself this morning and after I recovered from the shock I got rid of most of the bad food in the house. I watch the weight loss reality shows and I saw on one where they put out two jars and marbles in one with one marble for each pound you want to lose. Then as you lose the weight you move the marbles from one jar to the other. I bought some marbles and I am going to try that. I think it will help kind of to be able to "see" my weight loss. I am also going to go back to my dietician, who I really like, for some accountability.

I am looking forward to being healthier this year. Have a great Tuesday everyone