Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
You said a lovely thing. Your wife is probably in lot of pain. Try to be patient with her, and try not to take it personally. I'm sorry she behaved that way. You deserve better.

Come hang with us in chat this weekend. Maybe we can help each other get through the weekend clean and sober.
I've got to get chat working. Never been able to. I'm not on an app though, just data through my iPhone 4. Old like me. Actually I'm more rotary dial old. Lol
I think if I buy the app I can use the chat. I think.
Thank y'all for the help and ideas. You all are wonderful. Honesty is rare these days, but no reason to fib on here.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome bluedog

D
Old 01-07-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
obxpaul

Another day without booze... feeling pretty good, had a router go out so my day off was filled with tech fun re-doing the network as the family says, "Done yet?" GRRRR, lol.
Went to see the new Star Wars movie, got to admit - it was impressive and dark. The funny thing was that when the lights came up, noticed that there was nobody under 50!! Looked like an AARP meeting letting out - me and the wife fit right in!!
Hope everyone had a great day of sobriety, let's do it again tomorrow!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

ClearCut thanks for your kind words of support. You made me cry a little, but in a good way. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Day 4 today, I slept so well last night, I used many blankets and they were very heavy, I've read about heavy blankets helping with anxiety so that may be why.
I'm going to go to the gym and walk my dog. It's my day off so it may be a long day but it's ok, any time I even have the slightest craving the thought of that last day 1 is really helping snap me back.
Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by obxtacy313 View Post
Another day without booze... feeling pretty good, had a router go out so my day off was filled with tech fun re-doing the network as the family says, "Done yet?" GRRRR, lol.
Went to see the new Star Wars movie, got to admit - it was impressive and dark. The funny thing was that when the lights came up, noticed that there was nobody under 50!! Looked like an AARP meeting letting out - me and the wife fit right in!!
Hope everyone had a great day of sobriety, let's do it again tomorrow!
I finallllllly get to see Star Wars this Saturday whoo hoo!!!! Another good reason to stay sober. I've gone to movies with even a slight hangover and the big theater screen and sounds just make me so sick. I'll def be making sure I am fully able to enjoy the movie and some popcorn (or purse candy). 😊
Old 01-07-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Google this guided meditation

Hi. A lot of us could use a laugh.

Google this and listen to it ,its only two and a half minutes long:

F*** that: a guided meditation

Its quite stress reducing, and made me cack myself laughing
Old 01-08-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Day 6 starting off.
Hearts a bit heavy, but I'm slogging through the early morning here in the southeast. This evening will be a hard one. I'm taking heart in that I've not made day 6 in a long time. Success . I don't feel better but this is the path to getting better. I know it.
High hopes for us all today !
Old 01-08-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Administrator

6 days is great ...there'll be other trying times ahead, I'm afraid, but it's a start, man

D
Old 01-08-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I appreciate you, Dee.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Alright class, what's everyone's Friday plans to stay sober and avoid the weekend trap?
Old 01-08-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Good question Kat. I'm planning on a quiet weekend at home. I have cleaning I want to get done, meals planned for the weekend, movies to watch, a couple of craft projects to work on and a book I need to read before I need to take it back. Should keep me busy. AV has been easy on me the past few days so I'm on guard incase it gets loud this weekend. Oh and I'll be spending lots of time here on SR.

Enjoy Star Wars! We've seen it twice now. The kids loved it so much they paid for themselves to see it again with some of their Christmas money!

JL I'm sorry things are so hard right now. I'm so glad you are staying sober through it!

Obxtacy router problems are horrible! We have something going weird with ours.... we aren't sure where to start in on it either. We've talked to our techy friends and they are a bit stumped about it too. I think a new router may be key.... we will see how long it takes hubby to come to the same conclusion! And having the teen grump moooommmmm wifi isn't working AGAIN is not much fun! Lol.

Shanti I'm glad you got a good night's sleep. Intersting about the heavy blankets!

Lisa I'll have to Google that in a bit. I can always use a good laugh!

Have a great day all!
Old 01-08-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Lol Lisa that did crack me up. I'll have to send it to my hubby he will love it. What I crazy is that I find that guys voice very relaxing! Until he'd cuss and I'd start laughing. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Day 8. Wow, made it past the week mark and didn't even notice! This is a good sign.

Kat, definitely taking it easy this weekend and not putting myself in any risk of temptation. Plan to take down Christmas decorations. My daughter is making us dinner tonight. (She is still home for holiday break from University.) Then tea in front of the TV. Maybe a movie tomorrow, since that is an easy night out without temptation. Then church on Sunday, my favorite.

Anyone else with weekend plans to avoid temptation?
Old 01-08-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

I am tinkering with the idea of a meeting. I figure if it is doing more harm than good, I can always walk out. Besides, at this point , I will probably have the longest sober time in the room!

I have to work Sat and Sunday evenings. I am planning on meeting some folks in chat this weekend. Chat is a nice way to kill some time. It was very funny last night.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Day 13
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone posting it's hard for me to respond, but I'm thinking of all of you and rooting for you when you struggle. Your posts give me strength.
I had some major realizations...
Yesterday I took my son to the museum. While I was there I realized that I wasn't faking and just going through the motions till I could get home and drink. I was in the moment and it felt good! Also realized that there is so much out there and I had been keeping myself trapped in a bubble by my drinking.
And the big one... I have not been happy for a long time.
I have been numbing myself to the fact that there are major things in my life that need to change for me to truly be happy. It was easier for me to get drunk then even think about these things. I have been scared and hiding. I'm not going to any longer. These things need to be faced. I feel the stronger I get in my sobriety, the easier it will be to make these changes. Right now baby steps...
As for the week end... We are having work done on our basement next week and we need to clear out a bunch of areas. I will have a chance to get rid of more stuff and organize which should keep me busy. Can totally relate to everyone that said they drank while doing big chores. I always did too and nothing really ever got done.lol
Stay strong everyone
Old 01-08-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

illi - I can relate to the fact that things need to change in order to be happy. And drinking to just forget about it. Lots of good words in your post. Funny how it sometimes becomes easier to drink and not fix. I need some changes too.

Benice - I'm on day 8 too (although I like to day 16 but I had two wines on NYE). The time is passing so quickly and I'm not even noticing either. That's a great sign! Sure beats white knuckling what day I'm on. Never been much of a day counter. I like that I accidentally started on Jan 1. Makes counting certainly easier! Love that I'm not noticing the days flying by. Sure beats sleeping through part days and still thinking how fast weeks are going! I've enjoyed every minute of every day so far. Love being awake at 9 and 10:00 at night sober! It really is easier to stay sober than work at all that dam drinking.

I always have lots to do. So much that the more I drank, the more overwhelming it became to get things done. So much easier sober to tackle what needs to get done.

I can't say enough about mind-body relaxation/meditation this time around. Instead of stressing over things I have to do I'm more concentrated on getting a few minutes of solitude each day (even if it's when I wake up in the middle of the night). It's making all the difference in the world. I paid $15 for a download but I see there is plenty on Utube free.
I was checking out one on mindfulness/hypnosis/stop alcohol on Utube last night. Only listened to a few minutes. Will listen later. There was a picture of a candle on this one. Sounded good so far.

So I've been sleeping like a log and eating like a hog! I thought the scale was gonna be way up. Stepped on today and it wasn't! Shocked! Face redness starting to tone down. I'm light skinned so the darn flush is terrible. I'm 5'5", medium boned and 173 lbs. I've got a good 15 lbs of booze on me. When I quit in 2009, I dropped to 160. I could actually feel
my leg and hip bones. Loved it! Well, that's my goal. Eating too much chocolate but will tackle this kind of stuff later.

On my phone, in the car (husband driving). Not good at responding to each person but I sure love reading all the posts. I get so much out of them. Thanks everyone for "sharing"!

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Olivia
Old 01-08-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Joining The Class

Hi all,

can I join the class of January - a little bit late I know! I haven't been on this site for about 5 years. Since then, I have had some good periods of sobriety varying in length from 7 months to 18 months. Trouble is I can;t make them stick. So here I am again. I seem to be able to get through the early stages of not drinking but haven't worked out yet what keeps me coming back to it.....
Old 01-08-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Gang
Old 01-08-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Pick me Class of January 2016. I'm very motivated and ready for this change. Looking forward to doing it together.