Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hi all. I am so grateful to you all for being here. This thread is my lifeline right now.

Day 2 is a tired day. I met my daughter for breakfast, told her I am giving up cannabis. She was not surprised.

I wrote a letter to my manager. I told him that my experience as an employee has poisoned me as a customer. I detailed the $6,0000 a year we have spent there over the last five years, and told him that they will never profit from my household again. Work should be interesting tonight.

I am still pretty snippy, but clean and sober.

Plan: Take the dogs for a long walk. Eat a big salad for lunch. Take a nap before work.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

I am in- Day 1 for me after a 42 day stint and 2 week binge and then a 15 day sober stint followed by a 6 day functioning (for me anyway) winefest -
But I am not fooling anyone, let alone myself. And I realize two important things- one i can't do this alone. I need a place like this and I need professional guidance - I am in too deep now as this has progressed for years. I know this because I have tried it and it doesn't ever work long term.
I also know that I need a plan- a real plan. I am scared out of my mind and want to be sober but I don't want to be stop drinking because it is what I know and how what I like -- it is a love/hate affair that I have to break up with...
So day 1- going to focus on reading on here. Drinking my water, taking a walk and I have a mini plan to call an addiction counselor and get counsel on my bigger plan this week. Just going to focus on this little stuff today and not drinking.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Ok I'm getting out of bed! Got to get back to my routine!

I made a list of things to do today. Very simple. But I gotta get a few things done
Old 01-10-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

<pulls up a chair>
Old 01-10-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Welcome, Thompalumpacus!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Hey all, day 2 for me and I won't drink today.

Strong but thankfully short lived cravings today when I was out and about and could have picked up alcohol . I tried to play the tape through and it worked. I also that not allowing myself to get hungry or thirsty really works for me. I'm not too worried about my diet at the moment, sobriety is the only focus for now!

Sometimes the small things really mean so much. I was able to drive my nephew earlier at about 5.30pm, previously I couldn't offer because I would have been sipping at vodka in a water bottle through the afternoon and would already be way over the limit. That makes me feel good about myself and that's rare because I feel like I have no dignity left.

Hope everyone is having a good day, I'm still trying to catch up - it's a busy thread! ☺
Old 01-10-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Day Five almost done here in Spain.

A question: What to do with all this free time I have now I'm not being a barfly or watching TV (and forgetting the end of each film and programme) while getting ratted? I'm astounded! I feel like there's a million possibilities... The number of hours I spent a week toxifying or detoxifying now scares me.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

And Cara! I'm the same with diet. I used to worry about food and be careful what I ate to allow the drinking... Now I don't care. Kind of liberating knowing just by nit drinking I'm shaving about 800kcals off a day automatically!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Glb82 I got excited thinking about all the extra time and potential...
Old 01-10-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cara39 View Post
I was able to drive my nephew earlier at about 5.30pm, previously I couldn't offer because I would have been sipping at vodka in a water bottle through the afternoon and would already be way over the limit.
Congrats on day 2 Cara. Like you I'd usually be sipping at vodka hidden in a water bottle, and have a bottle of wine on the go too. So yay to us!!

I've managed to get through the weekend without drinking but have had some pretty strong cravings. I know the drill now. As soon as my AV suggests drinking and I feel myself contemplating a drink, I remind myself of the feelings of shame and regret that always follow.

I spend a lot of time on SR too, without the support of everyone on here I'd probable be halfway through a bottle of vodka by now!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loopylou69 View Post
Congrats on day 2 Cara. Like you I'd usually be sipping at vodka hidden in a water bottle, and have a bottle of wine on the go too. So yay to us!!

I've managed to get through the weekend without drinking but have had some pretty strong cravings. I know the drill now. As soon as my AV suggests drinking and I feel myself contemplating a drink, I remind myself of the feelings of shame and regret that always follow.

I spend a lot of time on SR too, without the support of everyone on here I'd probable be halfway through a bottle of vodka by now!
I'd have the wine too Loopylou! I'd have the wine openly and then top up through the night with my stash. It's a lovely thought to realise that I don't have to go through all that planning and deception anymore, all that finding hiding places and getting rid of empties is exhausting.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glb82 View Post
And Cara! I'm the same with diet. I used to worry about food and be careful what I ate to allow the drinking... Now I don't care. Kind of liberating knowing just by nit drinking I'm shaving about 800kcals off a day automatically!
Exactly! It's unlikely that my snacks are anywhere near what I was taking in calories when drinking
Old 01-10-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
StrugglingJim,

What's your plan to avoid drinking during the game?
well my buddy canceled on me so I'm home alone, I have no desire to drink, suffering too much. My problems start when I feel better and forget the hell I went through to get there. Right now I'm doing my best to not take any Xanax today, I don't take much, but it helps a bit but I want to be away from that ASAP.
Just keep repeating to myself, it will get better, it will get better.
At least I'm able to watch the game today, yesterday I couldn't even focus enough to watch the game.
Thanks for your concern! my short term plan in general is to see a therapist tomorrow night and hit my first AA meeting this week.
I don't know if I would survive going though this again, so that's a pretty strong motivation not to go back, but that's how I feel today anyway
Old 01-10-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hi to all those who have joined January 2016 class in the last day or two - Jim, Cara, Gib, Thump, Curlync, griffy and anyone I've missed off the list! A big welcome!! Been catching up on the thread and I think we all gain so much from the range of experiences and positive desire for change which comes through loud and proud.

Jim - was reading your last few posts with interest bud - really pleased you found your way here. Hope the appointments tomorrow give you a good platform, combined with posting here as often as needed. You sound like you are 100% ready and committed in your heart to make this plan work out.

On a personal level, I've had a hectic couple of family days mainly at home, keeping very busy with DIY tasks. On paper, I thought my plans would be a good way to simplify my weekend, but I've also felt strangely irritable again and a little angry inside - for no good reason! It's been pretty dull and depressing weather here too, so not sure if that's been a factor. I made a point of getting out for a couple of 5k runs, both yesterday and today. The exercise got my appetite stoked up, but didn't entirely resolve my grouchy mood! Have slogged out both days and fortunately feel ok now.

I got to thinking that my slightly unstable mindset this weekend may be a cunning plan hatched by the AV to dishearten me - soften me up for some cravings to follow! But so far nothing too taxing thrown my way. Hopefully my added emphasis on mindfulness and an action "toolbox" of things to do will continue to keep me safe. Here's hoping.

Have a good day everyone - stay sober.

CC
Old 01-10-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm up and out of bed. This is a big development for me. I cleaned my room and am getting ready to get dressed and go to the coffee shop to read before work. Unfortunately I feel tired already. But I'll just make it through the day. At least I didn't have to feel bad about myself for havng yet another unproductive day.
But I will have to remember to get something more to eat, if I'm correct, I'll start getting cravings. Day 3
Old 01-10-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Plenny, I kind of feel the same... The sugar I used to ingest would keep me going. Last night I was ready for bed by 11.30pm and usually my Saturday nights stretch to the club and never end with me home before four a.m. We need to get our sleep alright! I'm also taking some melatonin to ensure I continue sleeping. Early wakening insomnia isn't my bag.

Extremely emotional today. I've forgot how I would have an emotion - any emotion - and crack a beer. Angry, sad, happy, just finished work? Cramps, headache, any kind of pain? Finished a hike? Or taught a class? Have a beer! I'd say I needed.it or deserved it. Then wouldn't stop...
Luckily my OH is being super nice. Even if I'm crying left, right and centre for no good reason. Very luckily
Old 01-10-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Hi Plenny

Great to see you're making some steps in the right direction - enjoy the coffee. Work your plan as you go and maybe try some of those breathing techniques soberwolf linked to - can be valuable.

Remember, the cravings are only a thought - nod as they pass, remembering they are powerless and you are in charge of them.

All the best for your day.

CC
Old 01-10-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Getting prepared for the outside world now. Following the plan
Old 01-10-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Day 6 here Plenny and I can so relate to the tiredness. Feel like I'm still dragging myself around. Could it be a blood sugar issue or just that our bodies are using so much energy to detox?
Old 01-10-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

On a brighter note. Day 6! Wow! I can hardly believe it! Feeling much more positive. Beautiful warm sunny day in Aus. Will stay close to SR today and will not drink.