Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 2

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Good morning, All. Congrats to those hitting milestones! Quick check in for me. Had another drinking dream last night. Dreamt I gave up on sobriety and started drinking again. Had so much guilt and anxiety in my dream and then woke up with it! Luckily it faded after a few minutes, unlike when I actually drink.

With that said, I'm so grateful to be sober and to have you all here for support. I will not drink alcohol today.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post
Had another drinking dream last night. Dreamt I gave up on sobriety and started drinking again. Had so much guilt and anxiety in my dream and then woke up with it! Luckily it faded after a few minutes, unlike when I actually drink.
I had a drinking dream too! And when I woke up I was feeling the same panic and anxiety that I feel when I actually drink. It was so weird! It took me forever to go back to sleep
Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Do your best

Drinking dreams suck at the beginning they will fade guys I promise
Old 11-18-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Day 12 and as above I had a dream about having a drink dam I feel so deflated today just can't seem to feel happy about anything today.

Hope everyone has an alright day I'm away to start work soon.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

No drinking dream for me but definitely STRANGE dreams!

Good news! I just scheduled my first counseling session with a really good therapist who specializes in all the crap I've been thru & am dealing with! I'm ready to unload some of this & work through it! I see her for the first time in 2 weeks.

Had a drinking thought an hour ago but told it to take a HIKE!!!

Hope everyone is hanging in there!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
I feel so deflated today just can't seem to feel happy about anything today.
I feel the same. I'm just sad for no particular reason, or maybe for all the reasons in the world, I don't even know...and my AV keeps talking and talking. Yes, it would be nice to make all this sadness go away for a few hours ...but I'm not willing to pay the price of another detox. I wish I could just have a good cry...
Old 11-18-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

A lot of sleeplessness around at the moment....here too. Can't seem to sleep through, wake 2 /3 times a night, and the days start really early. Typing this at 5.45. Again.... Crazy dreams too.

I'm spared the anxiety.....my sympathy to those who aren't. That must make it very tough.

Day 10. next thing is the weekend. Think its going to be a quiet one.

All the best guys.....Patricia, Kiki...hang in there ok. Your going to feel so much better as the days pass.....
Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Having some pains in my lower left abdomen the last few days since I slipped up. It's probably just coincidental I know that's not where the liver or pancreas is , I don't think, but my mind spiralled into all these worst case scenarios.. Got myself to the point where I had to excuse myself from a class cause I was pretty much hyper ventilating with heart palpitations.. Does anyone else do this whole self diagnosis/ em pending doom bit?? Gonna keep tabs on it and if it worsens any get to a doctor . Got myself terrified
Old 11-18-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Canguy, glad you are doing okay. I'm sure you're having trouble sleeping because your body is trying to adjust to sleep without sedation. It will get better! Hang in there
Old 11-18-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hi there, I'm checking in on Day 1. Had a bad day in work yesterday and it gave me an excuse to go an drink. Hours after I felt no better. Forced myself to throw up to try to lessen the hangover but that never worked. Facing up to my family that I fell off the wagon again was horrible. The looks of disgust and disappointment is tough to cope with but it doesn't seem to last for long and is long forgotten when I'm in the throes of cravings. Had to leave work early as I couldn't cope with the anxiety. Oh will I ever manage to last longer than a few days? Life seems so bleak and dark at the moment. I'm scared.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I also get insomnia or at the very least wake up several times in the night too
I wonder why that is. It seems worse now that I'm sober, which of course makes the days/nights even longer! Lol
Well today is day 10! I'm off this afternoon so I will just relax and work on my plan. I really need to start a gratitude journal.
Oh, Dee .... How are the thoughts on alcohol free wine for special occasions?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Hi there, I'm checking in on Day 1. Had a bad day in work yesterday and it gave me an excuse to go an drink. Hours after I felt no better. Forced myself to throw up to try to lessen the hangover but that never worked. Facing up to my family that I fell off the wagon again was horrible. The looks of disgust and disappointment is tough to cope with but it doesn't seem to last for long and is long forgotten when I'm in the throes of cravings. Had to leave work early as I couldn't cope with the anxiety. Oh will I ever manage to last longer than a few days? Life seems so bleak and dark at the moment. I'm scared.

boom box- I'm so sorry. Do you have a plan? Have you attended meetings? It's tough letting down our loved ones because we don't want them to lose faith in us. Dee has some great websites that may help you with a plan going forward. Hang in there! We are here for you.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Hi boombox.
How long had you been on the wagon?

This is a good place to be to get a start on being sober. Plenty of advice and support from people who have done it. I'm not far in but I can offer you this: (1)post here when you want to drink...(2) read up on urge surfing....it works. The urge comes......and it does go. If you can learn to ride it out.

Tomorrow's gonna be a better day, okay?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Day 12 and as above I had a dream about having a drink dam I feel so deflated today just can't seem to feel happy about anything today.

Dreams,,,,too many waking hours....yikes! How about we all start gratitude journals so that we can try to focus on the positive things that we all have! Maybe write 5 things each day that we are grateful for? Anybody ready to take that challenge????
Old 11-18-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Checking in in on day 19. Really struggled today with cravings. Couldn't get the thought of wine out of my head pretty much all day, but luckily managed to get home without buying a bottle. Going to have an early night I think.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Dreams,,,,too many waking hours....yikes! How about we all start gratitude journals so that we can try to focus on the positive things that we all have! Maybe write 5 things each day that we are grateful for? Anybody ready to take that challenge????
I am up for it!!! Do you guys want to do it here on this thread in SR?

:-( I'm sorry to hear about people struggling, having sleep problems, anxiety, panic, needing to cry, cravings, depression and hopelessness. I can truly feel your pain and think during a 24 hours I feel of all of those things at certain periods of the day. Not fun but I keep walking...

People say that if we stay sober and have a plan for recovery it will get better so I am gonna believe them.

WE can do this...together!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
I wonder why that is. It seems worse now that I'm sober, which of course makes the days/nights even longer! Lol
Well today is day 10! I'm off this afternoon so I will just relax and work on my plan. I really need to start a gratitude journal.
Oh, Dee .... How are the thoughts on alcohol free wine for special occasions?
I was never a wine drinker by choice but here are my oft cut and pasted thoughts on NA beer

My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I'd maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?
same thing applies with the wine I think keepnitreal?
why wine?

are you trying to fit in?
trying to live vicariously?
is it a concession to maybe try and shut your AV up?

working out your motivation will probably help you make a decision I think

Originally Posted by Supertired View Post
Having some pains in my lower left abdomen the last few days since I slipped up. It's probably just coincidental I know that's not where the liver or pancreas is , I don't think, but my mind spiralled into all these worst case scenarios.. Got myself to the point where I had to excuse myself from a class cause I was pretty much hyper ventilating with heart palpitations.. Does anyone else do this whole self diagnosis/ em pending doom bit?? Gonna keep tabs on it and if it worsens any get to a doctor . Got myself terrified
Hypochondria is very common supertired. I know I had it - I couldn't quite believe that all those years with booze and drugs didn't leave me with *something*.

Go see your Dr...if there is something wrong you'll have dealt with it early...but the great likehood is there's nothing much wrong at all, and you might be able to get some peace of mind

I always liked that John Denver song 'Some days are diamonds and some days are stone' - but I never really appreciated the wisdom til I got sober

Some days aren't great - but it is great they're just bad days now, not bad weeks or months.

I hope tomorrow is better for you and anyone else here trudging a little, Erratic

D
Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember these great tips for cravings guys

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

and this great link for making a recovery plan

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf
D
Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

((((Dee)))) bombing it out (in reference to being the "bomb.com") as usual my friend! Love your wisdom, input, words, insight!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Is it too late for me to join? I'm only on day 3 and it's nov 18 :/