Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 2

Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Day 24 for me. My boss came to observe me at work today for my performance review. I think it went well, but I was so nervous! Afterward, my mind was all over the place and I had the fleeting thought "I can't wait until I can get home and have some wine!"

These past 24 days, I've been hyper aware of my thoughts surrounding alcohol. This was the first time I just forgot for a second that I'm sober now. It was a strange feeling.

I wonder how long it will take me to not immediately think of drinking every time I get anxious or upset. =(

Have a great day everybody!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today.

My AV is starting to whisper! Ugh!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Day 18 here and feeling OK. Sorry I'm not as active as other class members, I really do have quite a lot on my plate. But I truly appreciate the chance to be able to come here and at least check in on a daily basis.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today. I will not drink today.

Kiki, you can absolutely do this! Hang in there!
Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by he19me View Post
I did not slip last night.
I want to share my approach and it worked very well. Hope it can be of some help to others.
It was a bigger group than I had expected. All knew that I drink and probably drink the most. All afternoon I was scared, nervous what will everyone say or think about me.
All afternoon I worked on my excuses, promised not to cave in and stick to my drink of choice “Club Soda with Lime”. But when the waitress approached I changed my mind and in a low voice ordered, ”A Third of Coke and rest Sprite with some Lemon Juice”.
During the 4 and a half hours of drinking, I for the first time realized how drunk everyone can get, heard many untold stories and unseen personalities came out. Well they were always there, just that, for the first time I have memories of them. I now know the 2 sides of them, at work and off work. I am not judging them, but it was a blast. When about to pay the bill, one of them, who had the least drinks asked, dude will you be able to get back home safely and show up in the morning after having 4 Long Island Ice Teas? I with a smile explained, these were just Ice Teas, no alcohol, as I have to hit the gym in the morning, before getting to work. I bet he doesn’t remember.
My fear of what everyone will think if I say, I do not drink anymore was just my fear. No one cared, they were busy enjoying their drinks, cracking jokes, telling stories from work and personal lives. And I was having fun and laughing like others, and I guess I remember them all.
This morning, I have no hangovers and am fresh, but I see my colleagues dragging along as the day is passing.
I cannot remember in recent past if anything made feel so proud of myself.
Trust me it was very easy, I just had to do it to believe it. If I can do it I bet you all can do it.
I love your approach he19me! Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Morning all.....

Healthy....just get straight back on ya bike. You can do it. I've got an eye on the lurking weekend monster too.

Meshelly, 38 days out of 40 is no small achievement. Don't walk away to new year....that's what I do when I fail. The longer you leave it the harder physically it is to come back. you're doing great to get right back on.

Soberjim...everyday the cravings hit in for me at the same time. 3pm onwards. I try to plan for it now, have some simple thing ready to do as soon as I get home, everything in the frij for the meal I'm gonna cook. A bit of planning can help.

Kiki...how about "I don't NEED to drink today"?

Start of another day......have to take a site meeting this morning, answer questions from builders putting in bids. Not the kind of thing that a hangover makes any easier......

Day 9 then.......
Old 11-17-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening, wishing everyone a positive evening

In the uk where I am its seriously windy tonight

Have a great day tomorrow
Old 11-17-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

He19me, way to make it through the event! and thank you for sharing how it went. I have also noticed the same thing: no one really cares if I'm drinking or not. Some ask why and I just say I'm not drinking and that is that. Nice work
Old 11-17-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Thanks Canguy, you're right....I don't NEED to drink. This crippling, extremely painful anxiety feels like it's gonna kill me but I MUST just walk thru the PAIN to the other side!
Old 11-17-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

This crippling, extremely painful anxiety feels like it's gonna kill me but I MUST just walk thru the PAIN to the other side!
Kiki I also suffer from crippling anxiety. I stopped drinking 4 days ago after a small relapse. Today I am starting to feel like my anxiety is a little better.

I still have waves of panic during the day but I managed to control them with breathing exercises. This morning I woke up much calmer, without the racing heart and shaky hands.

Don't give up hope Kiki. Keep fighting! Every day will get a little bit better. BUT we have to stay away from alcohol. Alcohol causes anxiety!

Stay strong!
Old 11-17-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

I won't drink either
Old 11-17-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
Kiki I also suffer from crippling anxiety. I stopped drinking 4 days ago after a small relapse. Today I am starting to feel like my anxiety is a little better. I still have waves of panic during the day but I managed to control them with breathing exercises. This morning I woke up much calmer, without the racing heart and shaky hands. Don't give up hope Kiki. Keep fighting! Every day will get a little bit better. BUT we have to stay away from alcohol. Alcohol causes anxiety! Stay strong!
OK thank you Patricia. That gives me hope!

My husband is driving me nuts. He triggers me BIG TIME! I was just talking to him on the phone and he was arguing with me about something. I literally screamed into the phone at the top of my lungs & hung up on him. I didn't know I could scream that loud! I think the cars on the other side of the street heard me. I feel like he doesn't support me at all. I will not drink today.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Wow, habits are so interesting. I haven't been craving a drink at all, but after leaving the office I had to make a quick stop to the store and i thought.... "I don't have my son and I don't have to drive anywhere so why not pick up a bottle of wine!" It took me a minute to remind myself that I am sober and that I don't need any! Funny how the thought came out of the blue anyway.
I did the math today and realized how much $$$ I'm saving being sober. I'll estimate 4-5 bottles of wine a week ( let's go with 5) at $15 each on average. I'm saving myself $300 per month being sober, along with no hangovers, more clarity and happiness, and a loving family etc... Wow. Sobriety is a blessing.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Kerpenitreal you are so correct. Add to it the money saved at restaurants not buying alcohol.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

I have an app for my phone called SoberTool that keeps a running total of how much money you have saved being sober. It also tracks how many days you've been sober, and it has a pretty cool feature where you can click on how you're feeling and it has a little things you can read that will try to help you through whatever it is. It's been an awesome tool for me!
Old 11-17-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Wow, habits are so interesting. I haven't been craving a drink at all, but after leaving the office I had to make a quick stop to the store and i thought.... "I don't have my son and I don't have to drive anywhere so why not pick up a bottle of wine!" It took me a minute to remind myself that I am sober and that I don't need any! Funny how the thought came out of the blue anyway. I did the math today and realized how much $$$ I'm saving being sober. I'll estimate 4-5 bottles of wine a week ( let's go with 5) at $15 each on average. I'm saving myself $300 per month being sober, along with no hangovers, more clarity and happiness, and a loving family etc... Wow. Sobriety is a blessing.
That's a lot of $ you are saving!!! I figured I spent around $400-$600 per month on bar bills, fast food because I was too drunk to cook etc etc etc. pathetic!!!
Old 11-17-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learntofly View Post
I have an app for my phone called SoberTool that keeps a running total of how much money you have saved being sober. It also tracks how many days you've been sober, and it has a pretty cool feature where you can click on how you're feeling and it has a little things you can read that will try to help you through whatever it is. It's been an awesome tool for me!
I have an App called Recovery Elevator that keeps track of how long you've been sober, how much $ you have saved AND how many calories you've saved (not drank). It's FREE!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

those apps sound awesome. Especially the calorie one! That would be a big motivator for me, bc I'm always body shaming after drinking binges. I'm trying to take everything one day at a time but had some serious guilt today and am stressed about how to make it through the holiday season and come out the other side.. That's where things usually fall apart. Any advice?

Also, sobriety is helping me (even tho it's only day 2) to be a better mom to my two rescue pups. My little girl has so much baggage due to a terrible beginning to her life that I can't be drunk all the time. She needs me to be sober to help her fix her issues. How do I post a pic? It's saying file size too big. Would love to share pic of pups with you all, as puppies, imo, always make everything better
Old 11-17-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

I'm going to check out those apps. That sounds cool!
he19ME- That's true....I didn't even add in the wine when we went out to dinner! (2 glasses minimum-another $20) Wow, I think I'll put the money in a special account each week and take a special trip!
Kiki- I still refuse to cook every night , even sober, so we still go to dinner or get fast food a few nights a week! ��
Old 11-17-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strangeangel View Post
those apps sound awesome. Especially the calorie one! That would be a big motivator for me, bc I'm always body shaming after drinking binges. I'm trying to take everything one day at a time but had some serious guilt today and am stressed about how to make it through the holiday season and come out the other side.. That's where things usually fall apart. Any advice?

Also, sobriety is helping me (even tho it's only day 2) to be a better mom to my two rescue pups. My little girl has so much baggage due to a terrible beginning to her life that I can't be drunk all the time. She needs me to be sober to help her fix her issues. How do I post a pic? It's saying file size too big. Would love to share pic of pups with you all, as puppies, imo, always make everything better
Strangeangel-
Try not to think about the holidays. They have me worried as well, but everybody reminds me to just worry about each day as it comes otherwise we get overwhelmed and give up. I have an annual party coming up on the 5th with a bunch of friends and they like their alcohol. I've already decided to bring a bottle as a gift, but to bring myself sparkling water to keep my wine glass full. I was also thinking of maybe asking my hubby to "mix " me a drink and have him skip the alcohol. One of the ladies in my group said her hubby did that for her and nobody ever noticed she wasn't drinking alcohol so they didn't try to push the booze. Seltzer with lime, skip the flavored vodka? That's how I'm going to handle my first party. I pray it gets easier as time moves on.

Also, I can't wait to see a few pounds disappear from the lack of empty calories. One would assume they would, right??!!!