Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 2

Old 11-17-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learntofly View Post
I have an app for my phone called SoberTool that keeps a running total of how much money you have saved being sober. It also tracks how many days you've been sober, and it has a pretty cool feature where you can click on how you're feeling and it has a little things you can read that will try to help you through whatever it is. It's been an awesome tool for me!
Thanks Learntofly-I just added it to my phone!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Also, I can't wait to see a few pounds disappear from the lack of empty calories. One would assume they would, right??!!!
I've lost 6 pounds since I stopped drinking in August. I also noticed I stopped snacking on junk food that goes well with my favourite drink. And I'm not lethargic so I walk and exercise more. Give it a few weeks and you'll see how you lose those pounds too!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I've lost 6 pounds since I stopped drinking in August. I also noticed I stopped snacking on junk food that goes well with my favourite drink. And I'm not lethargic so I walk and exercise more. Give it a few weeks and you'll see how you lose those pounds too!
I can't wait! I'm only on day 9, but it must add up! I started a eating/exercise program a few months ago, but it hasn't gone as planned because I wasn't able to give up the wine and it's hard to exercise diligently with a hangover so I skipped a few days a week. Now I'm working out almost every day and I'm seeing progress there too!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

The apps do sound cool.

I have been at school all day and will be at work all night so day four is good as done. I know how quickly Dr. Jekyll takes over so I won't let my guard down... or view things too rosily. I've gone 2-3 months without only to snap on a whim and lose the next 5-9 months to booze.

Ditto on anxiety. Alcohol fixes it initially but amplifies it the next day. Forgot my pill at home as I scurried out the door.

Keep the tips coming on abstaining during holiday parties. Get togethers are usually my downfall. I like the idea of husband "mixing" a drink. He knows how badly I want this. It's beyond him... and me for that matter... why I don't just stop.

Thanks for the awesome posts November.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Strangeangel- Try not to think about the holidays. They have me worried as well, but everybody reminds me to just worry about each day as it comes otherwise we get overwhelmed and give up. I have an annual party coming up on the 5th with a bunch of friends and they like their alcohol. I've already decided to bring a bottle as a gift, but to bring myself sparkling water to keep my wine glass full. I was also thinking of maybe asking my hubby to "mix " me a drink and have him skip the alcohol. One of the ladies in my group said her hubby did that for her and nobody ever noticed she wasn't drinking alcohol so they didn't try to push the booze. Seltzer with lime, skip the flavored vodka? That's how I'm going to handle my first party. I pray it gets easier as time moves on. Also, I can't wait to see a few pounds disappear from the lack of empty calories. One would assume they would, right??!!!
I know!!! OMG! I have gained so much weight from drinking!!! I can't wait to see it fall off! Drinking also slows down your metabolism. :-(
Old 11-17-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Patricia, your comments are so positive and give me so much hope! Thank you so much!!! I needed it today! Rough day...but sober.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

My mom called me today to talk about our family Thanksgiving. She told me that I didn't have to bring anything except wine, and I asked if I could bring a bottle of sparkling cider instead. I admitted to her that I don't drink anymore because I have a huge problem with it. I still don't think she realizes the magnitude of the problem, because she responded by talking about how many calories wine has, but at least that's one more person sort of in the loop.

I think I'll just pour my sparkling cider into a wine glass so people don't ask me too many questions. My family drinks like crazy when we get together, so they'll definitely notice if I'm not. My brother's fiance has a problem with drinking. She had given it up for a span of time, and at our family Christmas, my aunts kept offering her wine and she kept declining. At one point, one of my aunts said, "Why aren't you drinking? Are you an alcoholic or something?" And she said, "Yes, actually I am." That shut up my aunt pretty quickly.

It's good that we're all trying to make our sobriety plans for Thanksgiving. I think if we go into it knowing what to expect and how we'll respond, we'll all be fine.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

HELPFUL TIP: try to avoid all white flour, processed foods and sugar early in sobriety. I have read a lot about it can cause you to "crash" and then have a huge craving for alcohol...which is all sugar.

I only ate whole grains, protein, fresh fruits, soy nuts and and veggies and drank water with lemon all day and had zero cravings today! I still had lots of anxiety...but it's progress and I will take it!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Having my sleepytime tea and getting ready for bed, sober. Goodnight class.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Hi, All. Glad to hear everyone is thinking about Thanksgiving. Learntofly, great job being truthful with your mom Even if she doesn't quite understand, it will take the pressure off you the day of Thanksgiving.

I have an uncle on my mom's side who enjoys his wine, but manages to stop at two or three glasses. I know he'll be looking to pour me a glass as well. He was visiting a few months ago and kept telling me to try the wine that he had brought over because it was really good. I had to decline a few times. He is gossipy and to him the term "alcoholic" means dead-beat drunk. Any potential judgement from him will not deter my sobriety, but I know what some of you mean when you have friends or family that have a negative connotation of alcoholic. I guess on the bright side maybe I have the opportunity to change his vision of "alcoholic" Something to think about.

One week here. Grateful for that! Stay safe and sober, All.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

I. Think we all made it through "sober Tuesday" didn't we???!!!!
I'm drinking some peppermint tea and then off to bed.
Learn to fly-I think your wine glass with sparkling cider is a great idea. Heavy drinkers tend to push alcohol so they don't feel as though they have a problem. Everybody just check in over the holidays!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hello. New to this website but definitely not new to saying I want to stop drinking. I would like to join this class and make today my last "day one." Thank you and I look forward to getting to know you all better.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Welcome Billy! I think you're going to like it here!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Another sober day done

Back from Yoga class. I don't know why but I've been feeling emotional during the classes lately. Like I want to cry and it's not because of any physical discomfort, it's purely emotional. Weird. Does it happen to anybody else?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyP View Post
Hello. New to this website but definitely not new to saying I want to stop drinking. I would like to join this class and make today my last "day one." Thank you and I look forward to getting to know you all better.
Welcome Billy! :-)
Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Another sober day done Back from Yoga class. I don't know why but I've been feeling emotional during the classes lately. Like I want to cry and it's not because of any physical discomfort, it's purely emotional. Weird. Does it happen to anybody else?
Maybe you are finally starting to feel all those feelings you have been numbing with alcohol? That's a good thing!!! :-)
Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hello all! Day 12 and I am super tired again! It's the new job, so it's for a good reason. I'll be going to bed in a moment. I hope everyone has a wonderful night!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Just checking in
I went to a concert tonight and stayed sober.
I had a great time too! And I'll remember it!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going JSB

D
Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
great going JSB

D
Thanks dee, I was really proud of myself
I'm starting to get used to doing things sober, its really nice xx