Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 2

Old 11-16-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

I think that is a great step Learn! I haven't even told my friends yet and I'm not sure what words I will use when I do, but I also think time will give me those answers!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gifford

there are some good tips here:
Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I just had a long conversation with my mother about my substance abuse issues. She knew mine were bad but I didn't think she fully realized the extent of it. This disease killed her father and now she's worried it's gonna kill her son. Talk about some extra motivation for me to get sober... One of the zeniths of the conversation though was when she acknowledged that she's known I've had this issue since I was a teenager. I'm 27 now... Well over a decade of my life dealing with this! That was eye opening to look at it from that perspective.

Anyways, it's really helping to read all of your stories guys. I don't respond often, but know that your posts are helping me! Keep on keeping on folks!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Evening....

After work, Day 8....just keep going, keep going, go do something useful, cook later, chill out relax. Alcohol not wanted or needed....

We all get another day up okay?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Morning Class,

Things aren't too bad here in Tufty towers, last night wasn't great though, my AV had taken himself to perch on my right shoulder and whispered sweet nothings into my ear for most of the evening, he was clearly changing tactics as shouting and screaming hasn't worked for him for the last fortnight.

He's a cunning bas***d for sure. I've called him Damien, he's got red hair, acne, blue eyes and the kind of halitosis that can floor a rhinoceros from 500 yards. How he gets invited to so many social occasions is beyond me.

Here's to a sober Tuesday. Day 16 for me.

Warm wishes to all my class mates and SR in general.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Good morning. Feels good without my usual morning hangover and have more energy than I have in awhile. It's Day 7 for me and am finally feeling serious about stopping drinking. Even lost 4 lbs this week which is a great motivator to continue. Glad I found this group for support and several other helpful blogs.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 7 IP
Old 11-17-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Morning it's day 11 and I got past yesterday with some sticky toffee pudding and cream that soon shut up the craving 🙏🏻

The alcohol clinic session went ok she gave me some advice and will see her again in 2weeks. Anyway I'm at psychotherapy today so that should keep me going today as long as my mood keeps stable

Hope everyone has an ok Tuesday xx keep it up xx
Old 11-17-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 11 Erratic
Old 11-17-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things went well Erratic

Welcome ImaraPeace

D
Old 11-17-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Just a quick good morning before I leave for work. Day 2. Again. For some reason im not feeling great about it, feeling more defeated than anything but this too shall pass....Congrats to those marking milestones!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Jumping back in here, on day 9.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Praying for another day sober. God bless all of you. We can do this!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I'm still here. I messed up Saturday. I was thinking maybe I shouldn’t even check in till after the holidays because I really don't know if I'll make it. But I decided to just take it one day at a time. so here I am again on day 3.

I will not drink today. It sucks to have to reset my days again. But then I've only drank 2 times in the last 40 days so that's something. It does seem to be getting easier to say no most of the time.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hang in there Meshelly. Progress not perfection! We can do this...one day at a time.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Good morning, All. Meshelly, hang in there! Don't beat yourself up! It does suck to have to start back at one but be confident in your ability to rack up the sober days again. Regarding telling friends/family about quitting drinking, when I quit last April (made it three and a half months), I told my mom right away. I knew I needed accountability and she knows about my problem (my dad is an alcoholic) so she was thrilled with the news. I spent that first weekend with my parents to be in a safe space. I've also told a few very close friends. I was most nervous about one of my best friends and college roommates. We've always been drinking buddies. He was getting married in June and I knew I needed to tell him before the wedding so he wouldn't be caught off guard for the festivities. He was totally fine with it. Now he always makes sure to have sparkling water for me when I visit. And yes, he still gets trashed. I've found relief in telling those people. Those who truly care about you and know you very well probably suspect a problem anyway. They want what's best for you. And it does make things so much easier when I spend time with them to know that I won't have to worry about whether or not I drink bc I've already laid my cards on the table.

I will not drink alcohol today. Take care, everyone. Be kind to yourself.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meshelly View Post

I will not drink today. It sucks to have to reset my days again. But then I've only drank 2 times in the last 40 days so that's something. It does seem to be getting easier to say no most of the time.
I hear ya, trust me! I'm just going to focus on today and deal with the weekend monster awaiting me later this week. I've given the holidays some thought and will have a more solid plan closer to then. Like you, I have more sober days racked up overall, 29 out 36, it's progress.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Great job everybody! Day 9 here.
Let's ALL make this sober Tuesday! No alcohol for any of us! Can we do it?????!!!!! I think we can! Let's rock this Tuesday!
Have a wonderful and blessed day!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me. I was doing well and yet late afternoon my AV got the better of me.
I woke this morning with that feeling of letting myself down and frustrated again.

It is easy to say today is a new day, but it is. I am determined to move ahead one day at a time.

I have that time just after work where I am the most susceptible to cravings. I need to be on SR reading.

I hope everyone has a good Tuesday. One day at a time.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by he19me View Post
I am going to stay strong today. I have to go out with my colleagues after work who are visiting from different cities. Either I say no, which won't be nice as I have known about their visit for sometime. Or I order club soda. I have to have my excuses ready. I will not slip today.
I did not slip last night.
I want to share my approach and it worked very well. Hope it can be of some help to others.
It was a bigger group than I had expected. All knew that I drink and probably drink the most. All afternoon I was scared, nervous what will everyone say or think about me.
All afternoon I worked on my excuses, promised not to cave in and stick to my drink of choice “Club Soda with Lime”. But when the waitress approached I changed my mind and in a low voice ordered, ”A Third of Coke and rest Sprite with some Lemon Juice”.
During the 4 and a half hours of drinking, I for the first time realized how drunk everyone can get, heard many untold stories and unseen personalities came out. Well they were always there, just that, for the first time I have memories of them. I now know the 2 sides of them, at work and off work. I am not judging them, but it was a blast. When about to pay the bill, one of them, who had the least drinks asked, dude will you be able to get back home safely and show up in the morning after having 4 Long Island Ice Teas? I with a smile explained, these were just Ice Teas, no alcohol, as I have to hit the gym in the morning, before getting to work. I bet he doesn’t remember.
My fear of what everyone will think if I say, I do not drink anymore was just my fear. No one cared, they were busy enjoying their drinks, cracking jokes, telling stories from work and personal lives. And I was having fun and laughing like others, and I guess I remember them all.
This morning, I have no hangovers and am fresh, but I see my colleagues dragging along as the day is passing.
I cannot remember in recent past if anything made feel so proud of myself.
Trust me it was very easy, I just had to do it to believe it. If I can do it I bet you all can do it.