Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 2

Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terry12 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site. I joined a while ago but unfortunately relapsed only weeks later. I've got sober again and I'm 12 weeks sober now.
I'm thinking of all of you who are trying to get sober. I know how hard it is. I also know the hell of actively drinking and not being able to stop!
I needed to see a doctor as I was withdrawing so heavily I had a seizure.
Terry 12

Welcome Terry. I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough detox and hope you're feeling better! Welcome to our class. It's a great group here!

Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 16 and I'm so glad it's the weekend! I'm trying to think of something that my sisters and I can do this afternoon since I've had a busy week. Maybe go to a movie or something.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

So good morning everybody and welcome to SOBER SATURDAY! Can we all do it? Yes, WE can! Today is the start of day 13 for me. I think this is the longest I've gone without wine since my son was born 10 years ago!

Healthy-you sound in a great place!
Goldensands-it is hard to keep everything straight, but we know you have our backs and we are glad our posts help you too!
Hey Supertired-Canguys future reports are an inspiration! Keep em coming Canguy!
Pams, StrangeAngel, and Patricia- I am so glad you made another day and sound in a much better place! Keep busy and keep that AV in check.
JSBod-I hope you feel better soon!
Kiki- Where are you girl???!!!

So today a school friend of my sons mother wants to get together and "do something" because he hubby and son are out of town. She REALLY likes her wine and I don't feel comfortable telling her I'm an alcoholic because we are just "friends thru kids." I've suggested a movie or early Xmas shopping, but I'm sure she will try to turn it into a drinking adventure somehow. I've already told her I'm busy for dinner so I've got that covered. How would you guys handle this? I'm not even sure how much I like her without having a buzz! Lol
Old 11-21-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Morning Curlygirl!
I'm so proud of you! How are the cravings up there at 16?
Have a great day with you sisters!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Saturdaynight....hmmmm The 4pm beer oclock AV call came and went without incident. Now heading into the evening after a long afternoon's pleasurable messing about, listening to the radio, swigging on the bottle of soda and lime. Early Sat evening a sort of nothing time.....end of the day but not the start of the evening. Things quiet....SR has largely gone to sleep....the moments of isolation begin to kick in. Saturday night feels like disappearing around the dark side of moon sometimes....just have to sail on through it. Keep busy, cook later.....tv awful, maybe get a movie or something....
Wow! Saturday night already for you? Where are you? It's only Saturday morning where I live! At least you got thru the day already!!! Great job!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gifford View Post
I am so very proud of myself. I had to attend a formal work dinner last night. I have been to them and they have all ended in a depressingly predictable way. Free booze all night will do that to an alcoholic. I was worried all week, but I stayed strong and sober despite my colleagues who were all trying to get me to drink with them. I knew I should avoid certain people, and to an extent I managed that, but inevitably I bumped into them. They couldn't understand why I wasn't absolutely hammered. One of them was trying to make fun of me for being under the control of my partner. As he was saying this I caught sight of his wife glaring at him and feeling let down by his obvious drunken state. I will predict that I had a better end to my evening than him. So, day 15 is here and I am feeling good and strong. Today I will clean and cook to keep me busy. I know idleness is my enemy. Stay strong everybody G
That's amazing Gifford!!! You are doing fantastic! Keep going....!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthygoals View Post
Up since 530 on a Saturday morning? So this is what happens when you don't drink on the weekend? Awesome! Really enjoying my coffee. Busy day ahead as I get everything under control in preparation for Monday afternoon's hand surgery and no hangover to stop me. Thanks to all of you with all that you share as you are an inspiration and I am sure that it has contributed to my staying sober. Xoxoxo! This is day 6 and I've got this!
Yay! Great job HG! I'm on day 6 too! I will NEVER get up at 5:30 am though. Hahahaha. I like need my beauty sleep! ;-)
Old 11-21-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Morning Curlygirl!
I'm so proud of you! How are the cravings up there at 16?
Have a great day with you sisters!
Good morning Keepnitreal! The only time I have intense cravings is when I get a few dollars in my pocket or when Friday hits. That's when it's time to get a nice luxurious coffee with all the fixings!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

So today a school friend of my sons mother wants to get together and "do something" because he hubby and son are out of town. She REALLY likes her wine and I don't feel comfortable telling her I'm an alcoholic because we are just "friends thru kids." I've suggested a movie or early Xmas shopping, but I'm sure she will try to turn it into a drinking adventure somehow. I've already told her I'm busy for dinner so I've got that covered. How would you guys handle this? I'm not even sure how much I like her without having a buzz! Lol
LOL @ not sure you like her without a buzz. I would really like to know how you handled this situation, I am positive I have ones like this to cover soon...I cant hide out forever...
Old 11-21-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Keepinitreal, here I am! Haha! I slept in! I was dreaming that I was snow skiing & it was awesome so I just kept sleeping! Haha

Welcome Terry12 & Jsbodhi...feel better!!!

We are all fighters!!! Today is day 6 for me & here's what I've got for all the friends who have checked in on this sober Saturday:

Gifford 15 days
Canguy 14 days
HealthyGoals 6 days
Me (KiKi) 6 days
Patricia 8 days
StrangeAngel 7 days
Pans 6 days
GoldenSands 6 days
CurlyGirl 16 days
KeepNitreal 13 days

TOTAL DAYS OF SOBRIETY among this list: 97!!! (And counting because not everyone is included in this list...only people who checked in so far today...Saturday)

Who am I forgetting??? Are the numbers correct? Please add your name to the list or change your # if you need to.

I thought it would be fun to count how many days we have collectively. I know we are never gonna "graduate" (except to a much better life ;-)) but I think the longer we are all sober the more amazing our lives will become. We are ALL very strong people. Millions struggle with addiction and sadly many die slow painful deaths. :-( The fact that we are all here trying so hard to stay sober and change our lives is amazing! Something very few accomplish. Stay strong my fellow sobriety family!!!

P.S. I think being accountable to each other here on SR is really important and is helping me!!! :-)
Old 11-21-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Maybe schedule something after that you would have to be sober for? I mean, that she would think you needed to.. You know? "Nope, can't drink I'm going to.... After this" Let us know how it goes!! Oh

I also planned a super fun day with my best friend tomorrow so I'm very motivated to stay sober today!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

:-) :-) :-) Please add your name & # of days sober if your not listed (if you want to!) :-) :-) :-) :-)

See my post before this. :-)
Old 11-21-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

I'm still here kiki. 7 days.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Keepinitreal, here I am! Haha! I slept in! I was dreaming that I was snow skiing & it was awesome so I just kept sleeping! Haha

Welcome Terry12 & Jsbodhi...feel better!!!

We are all fighters!!! Today is day 6 for me & here's what I've got for all the friends who have checked in on this sober Saturday:

Gifford 15 days
Canguy 14 days
HealthyGoals 6 days
Me (KiKi) 6 days
Patricia 8 days
StrangeAngel 7 days
Pans 6 days
GoldenSands 6 days
CurlyGirl 16 days
KeepNitreal 13 days

TOTAL DAYS OF SOBRIETY among this list: 97!!! (And counting because not everyone is included in this list...only people who checked in so far today...Saturday)

Who am I forgetting??? Are the numbers correct? Please add your name to the list or change your # if you need to.

I thought it would be fun to count how many days we have collectively. I know we are never gonna "graduate" (except to a much better life ;-)) but I think the longer we are all sober the more amazing our lives will become. We are ALL very strong people. Millions struggle with addiction and sadly many die slow painful deaths. :-( The fact that we are all here trying so hard to stay sober and change our lives is amazing! Something very few accomplish. Stay strong my fellow sobriety family!!!

P.S. I think being accountable to each other here on SR is really important and is helping me!!! :-)
Old 11-21-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

House clean, snow shoveled, birthday party for our 7 year old in an hour, Chili in the crockpot. All without a hangover. Short Sweet and Sober.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Glad you are here KIKI. Great list of all of us! We are all rocking sobriety!
What are you guys doing about new friends that don't drink? (Not all of mine do, but most get togethers seem to revolve around booze... And my parties etc...contributed to that)
I went to a couple of meetings, and I heard that you make new friends through AA, but I didn't see anybody there that I think I would mesh with. Maybe I should go to a meeting at another venue? Ideas?
Old 11-21-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Day 2.

Greetings guys, unfortunately this has become a familiar theme for me. I've been on and off SR for the past 20 months. My longest period sober was 9 months and I've had intermittent periods of 2 and 3 as well.

I don't look at this journey as an all or nothing game. I've grown so much as a person and I am night and day different than the person I was as the start. The sources of the past few relapses have been a lack of effort. I become content and then get comfortable. The second I take a couple plays off, I get smacked in the mouth and get caught sleeping at the wheel.

This has become a game vs. my AV; except there are no rules for my AV. It will evoke pain, depression, celebration, happiness, nostalgia, self admiration, and self deprecation. Whatever it takes to get me to use, because once I do, my attempts to moderate becomes a futile effort; literally like urinating into a 30mph wind.

So I'll leave you with this video I just stumbled upon. It's obviously not about addiction, but it's logic is sound and specific to me. To paraphrase: if tomorrow isn't promised, who are going to care about? Yourself or the few you care for in your life? We get one shot; one chance to leave a legacy. We make our mark in life through effort and effort is between you and you. No one else has any impact on your effort. It's also free. It doesn't matter who you were 5 minutes or 30 days ago. All that matters is the next 5 minutes. What you're going to do now: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=07fhOVQ9wEA
Old 11-21-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
House clean, snow shoveled, birthday party for our 7 year old in an hour, Chili in the crockpot. All without a hangover. Short Sweet and Sober.
Woo hoo!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Welcome, Noolan We have a lot of support here, and I'm glad you're with us.

Keepinitreal, an excuse you can use to not drink is that you are trying to keep your calories under control as you head into the holiday season - seems that women are always worrying about that

Glad everyone is well! If anyone gets cravings today you know where to find us...stay strong! I will not drink alcohol today.

I'm on Day 11, Kiki
Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

We are STRONGER TOGETHER!!! :-)

Saturday 11/21/15

Gifford 15 days
Canguy 14 days
HealthyGoals 6 days
Me (KiKi) 6 days
Patricia 8 days
StrangeAngel 7 days
Pams 6 days