Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 2

Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hell honestly? I think the best thing for you is to see your doctor - you may find your meds aren't working properly if you're mixing them with alcohol.

I understand you might want to cut back on your meds, but I also think it's a good thing to run the idea past a medical professional first.

as far as reducing goes - if you're aiming to reduce to zero, I get the idea, but if you're trying to cut back your intake of alcohol and become a 'normal' drinker, I think you're pretty much doomed to failure.

Sorry for being blunt, but I tried that cutting back malarkey for 20 years.

In the end I accepted that alcohol and I had a toxic relationship and I was better off without it.

8 years later I'm still convinced of that
Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Ff,
Hugs to you, I hear you.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

No, no, you've got it wrong. I've been mixing my meds with alcohol for too long. I want to stay on the meds and decrease the alcohol gradually. All you have done is discourage me .
Old 09-17-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Administrator

My apologies if I grasped the wrong end of the stick, Hell.
It's the end of a long day here.

I definitely don't want to discourage you in any way at all.

If you're looking to reduce your alcohol intake to zero, I wish you the best Hell

D
Old 09-17-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I think I need to post in the Mental Health forum. Will take this offline now.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry if I upset you in any way Hells.

Noone gets it right every time, including me.

I hope you'll continue to post here - this is a good thread

D
Old 09-17-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

FF - Thinking of you. I had that exact same feeling last time I relapsed. I was awake all night half-drunk, quarter shame-ridden and quarter insomniac due to envisaging what work would be like the next day. I ended up calling in sick at the final hour and breaking my company's absence code; not the best when I'd only been there 5 minutes. But the whole dreadful scenario reminded me why I am aiming for sobriety and why I need to make it paramount. You will get to thinking the same when a few days have passed, I promise.

Emme - If I were you, I would have a casual word before the event and say 'hmm, I'm not sure whether to go because I'm on pain meds for toothache and won't be able to drink. I might just sit this one out.' They will then convince you to go and can't persuade you to drink/buy you drinks when you have seemingly done them a favour by still agreeing to be there. The IOP thing is tricky though. Could you offer to work different days/go in earlier and finish earlier and say you are taking on a course or night class?

Midton and forabetterlife - Please don't feel you can't post because you are repeating yourselves; newbies like myself never heard you in the first place and I'm sure what you say is really valuable. Repetition is sometimes a positive anyhow; if you tell me something enough times I WILL listen and will be forced to take it on board. Sure many others feel the same. Post away!

It's lunchtime here on my day 4. Had an amazing, uninterrupted sleep and, despite a somewhat stressful and emotionally provoking phone call from a friend last night, I feel so positive and ready to take on what ever life throws at me. I'm looking forward to AA tonight, have a 12-hour care shift tomorrow and then am working all weekend. That'll keep me out of trouble but I'm also future planning in that I know I may feel a 'deserve a treat' after working that hard. I don't want to relapse early next week so I need to sort out plans to see friends on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evening (even if I'm knackered from work, we can sit and watch a DVD with some ice-cream). I am trying to apply the military manta that I use for everything else in life to my sobriety; the 6 Ps (Prior planning prevents p*ss poor performance) :P
Old 09-17-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Hell - I agree with Dee. It's great that you are looking to cut out alcohol altogether eventually but, with your MH problems and meds, I do think you should see your doctor for some advice about tapering off the right way. Pleased you have noticed the MH forum on here
Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Seriously, what does my Dr really know? He is a GP; sore throats and fevers. Sprains and strains. Wouldn't it be great if everyone who needed one could see a Psychiatrist? He knows no more that I do. And I cost a lot less...
Old 09-17-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Hell, it would be great indeed! Mental health care is something that is really given the short end of the stick in the states.

Slept for nothing last night. Not sure why (possibly ice cream too late)? Now, I'm up at the crack of dawn to start a very early day. Partner is home late too. Exhaustion and being alone are a bad combo for me; I'll be sure to check in tonight.

Emme, another option is to forego the celebration. I know that can be hard,but I found last time around, early in my sobriety, it made sense to skip some events where I might be tempted. Might be easier than having to white knuckle it or make up a reason? Or, maybe you could shift the celebration to a lunch event.

Take care everyone!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

FF- you are probably feeling very down and tired today but this will pass. Make today your day 1 and do it! We are all here for you to listen and support…we need each other let's face it. Sometimes just typing the words instead of keeping them in our heads helps to sort it all out or at least provide some clarity.

Kelly- it's amazing how the simple things in life provide pleasure when sober isn't it? During my 6 months of sobriety last year, looking up at the stars or the foliage or being present for a question from my children all gave me so much pleasure that it was eerie. I can only imagine what I've missed over the years but all we have is the present.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Matilda - Totally get this. I used to drink myself into oblivion and sleep all night. Now I am reducing and I am waking multiple times through the night and waking early All I can recommend is to let your body rest; even if your mind is awake, kia kaha
Old 09-17-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

So happy to be on this site - I have read it for weeks but finally joined and posted. I have quit in the past - once, for almost 2 years. I also tried last year - for about 10 days then went back to my bottle of wine-a-day diet (more on weekends). I am now 20 days alcohol-free. I think the big difference this time, for me, is that I am doing this only for me. I really want this for ME. Before when I quit, it was for the kids, a friend, etc. This time I don't feel pressured to do it. I hope that makes any sense.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

CapeGirl- makes complete sense- I've done it for others before too but it only really takes root when it is for us. Congrats on 20 days- you must be feeling really good ?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CapeGirl View Post
So happy to be on this site - I have read it for weeks but finally joined and posted. I have quit in the past - once, for almost 2 years. I also tried last year - for about 10 days then went back to my bottle of wine-a-day diet (more on weekends). I am now 20 days alcohol-free. I think the big difference this time, for me, is that I am doing this only for me. I really want this for ME. Before when I quit, it was for the kids, a friend, etc. This time I don't feel pressured to do it. I hope that makes any sense.
Great Job, CapeGirl! You sound like me... A long period of sobriety, followed by drinking, followed by a short stint of abstinence, then giving up until recently. The only way I've ever heard of long-term sobriety is doing for yourself. Doing it for others is admirable, but not the right reason. Desire and determination come from within, rather than external pressure. Keep it up!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Hi Midton
Just posting, any thoughts, helps me. You might think its codswallop, but I find inspiration in almost all posts. And if it helps you stay sober, post on!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you're hurting. Hey its great that you WANT to quit your job. Do what you have to do. Like Dee said, get involved in whatever program/plan will help your recovery. I just looked on Meetups and there are lots of recovery groups with different approaches than AA. I joined 3. Anyway, right now you need help with detox. Get to the Dr or ER and get some meds. Work can wait. 16 drinks in an evening is quite a lot, if ya make em like I do. Hang in there.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Another sober night and hangover free morning. It's Day 5 for me now, but I'm not "counting" so much the days. I'm still doing this 24 hours at a time. I have lots of homework to keep me occupied. A speech due next week, which of course makes me anxious, but I know that drinking won't help.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hi Emme
Hmmm. It sounds to me like you're planning to drink. Its so hard for me not to project what that means for me onto you....so I'm sorry. Just be careful and mindful. If you are an alcoholic, this condition will get worse. Relapse for me is deadly at this point. It wasn't always that way. Anyway, I hope things work out for you.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Really not trying to rub it in but I find it interesting that sobriety affects our sleep so differently. I am the opposite - I sleep terribly with just about any alcohol in me at all- whether it's two drinks or two bottles of wine. Sober, I sleep like a baby. I hope that it evens out for you Guys eventually that are having issues sleeping.

Years ago, by then bf who I loved dearly ( but now resent tremendously for a million other reasons) brought my drinking issues to my attention for the first time. I guess this was about 2006. I tried desperately to quit for him but could barely get through a few days. It wasn't until it was FOR ME, that my heart was in it and was able to achieve some good sober stretches.back then I didn't even know what sober looked like or felt like. Drinking was just a part of me and I couldn't imagine life without it. I'm not where I want to be, but I have definitely made a lot of progress and learned a lot .