Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 2

Old 09-17-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Secret- this is me as well. I'm actually on day7 now and I can feel it coming. I feel and look so much better so now I think I can have a few drinks and still maintain the benefits of being sober. But, like you , all it takes is one night and the next day I'm off and running - "getting it out of my system"for days/weeks , til I'm sick of it again.
A great quote -
If your tired of starting over, stop giving up.
That quote is bada$$ and so true. Kinda stings a little when I have to say it to myself.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
Night 9 here, this is my hardest night so far this time around. My sudden cravings are compounded by something stupid I did a short while ago. That and everything on my mind feels like King Kong right now. But drinking is not an option, life on life's terms. Figure Id post.

Congrats everyone on staying sober today
Hang in there Rio. You're right - drinking is not an option. Can you head off to bed and call an end to the day? Tomorrow will be Day 10 for you - double digits! Wishing you strength, courage and a good sleep.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellymh24 View Post
Just wanted to say hey, everyone! Tomorrow is Friday! Yay!!! I told myself as a reward for being a good girl for another week I would let myself have a guilt free donut tomorrow morning. I'm pretty excited.
One donut is far healthier than the 20/30 shots of vodka I would be consuming tonight and tomorrow.
I hope everyone is doing ok tonight. Give yourself a big hug for being awesome and strong! We made it another day.
Omg I am having such nice food in replacement of my 2 bottles of wine! Last night I had a huge bowl of carbonara WITH garlic bread! Something I would never usually do because I'd be saving my calories for my wine!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SleepyDots View Post
And the thing is, I feel SO good, my house is clean, my anxiety lessens every day, I have so much patience with my kids, I look better, etc. etc. But yet, from about 3-6pm all I can think about is wanting a glass of wine. No amount of reasoning/playing
I remember you sleepy dots-- not sure which class, I've been in quite a few -/

Those hours are so hard for me as well. I want a glass of wine so bad and hate feeling like I'm wishing time away to just get to another day and past another craving.

For me, i feel like there's and emptiness without alcohol in the evenings. Despite how crappy it makes and me and how miserable I am most of the time when I am drinking, I guess I still crave that escape. It's illogical. But I also know, from when I had s couple of months, that it really, really does get easier. I remember having a quiet self Assurance, and it felt great. I want it back !!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I remember you sleepy dots-- not sure which class, I've been in quite a few -/

Those hours are so hard for me as well. I want a glass of wine so bad and hate feeling like I'm wishing time away to just get to another day and past another craving.

For me, i feel like there's and emptiness without alcohol in the evenings. Despite how crappy it makes and me and how miserable I am most of the time when I am drinking, I guess I still crave that escape. It's illogical. But I also know, from when I had s couple of months, that it really, really does get easier. I remember having a quiet self Assurance, and it felt great. I want it back !!
I understand. (((Forabetterlife)))
Old 09-17-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Rio, you can get through this! Tomorrow you will wake up so glad you did. That's the best part.

Secret--- that's a good idea, sometimes we have to play mind games with ourselves. Whatever works!

Tonight I went out and bought myself a new shirt to wear to work tomorrow. For no darn reason except that I deserve it! I used to love shopping h for clothes but between drinking and my weight gain, I haven't done so much. It feels good to think-- maybe I will look pretty tomorrow rather than hungover and exhausted. Things are getting better, slowly but surely.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

It's definitely illogical but I totally feel the same. The emptiness. I was trying to describe it to my ex this morning. It's like my wine was my friend, and even though it was a really toxic friend, it was always there for me. Whether I was happy, sad, celebrating, commiserating, bored, lonely..

What I have to remember is, while it was pretending to be my friend, it was plotting my demise the whole time. It was fake. It never made me feel better in the long run. It's like those snotty girls on Gossip Girl inviting you to a party and making you feel all welcomed and happy, all the while laughing at you behind your back.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

All sounds very familiar. I'm willing to bet most in this class feels the same way. Probably everybody to be honest.

Trust me though. Those feelings go away. You may already somewhat believe me. But they really do. And not months and months later.

It all depends, I think at least, on how fast you come to peace with a sober life. The more benefits you realize, the healthier you feel, the happier you become. It's important to recognize the positives. Take a couple minutes every night to inventory the positives that come from the day being sober. It really helps train the brain to identify those positives during the day. We become so absorbed in negative feelings. It's really nice to say "man, I'm so glad I'm not drinking right now." The more you do it, the quicker you see all the benefits. They not only increase in volume, but in size as well. Before long, you're super thankful for the decision you made, the commitment, and yeah...the suffering.

I'm so thankful, I come to tears sometimes. I can't believe I waiting so long. The madness is finally over. I am free!

And it's funny when we say we wish away the time so we can count +1 day sober. Just the other day we were chatting in April about all the time we wished away when we were drunks. We would be at a teacher conference and wish it away so we could drink. Wish away work so we can drink. Wished loved ones would go to bed so we could drink. Soooo much time was wished away just so we could drink as much as we wanted to. All so that we could wish away the ensuing hangover.

The good news is, the minutes, hours, days, and maybe weeks that your wishing away now will be the end of it ALL! At least the time being wished away now is for GOOD REASON and will have LIFE LONG benefits.

Man...sometimes I sound preachy. I so don't want to come off that way. It's just that I've been through it and won. The feeling is awesome. I honestly want everybody to feel it.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Well I went for a walk, and even jogged some. I've heard doctors say exercise is the best anti-depressant out there. I think there's some truth to it. Funny how it's hard to make yourself go.

I find myself both drawn to and repulsed by drinking at the same time. I've been down that road so many times, I'm fully aware of where it leads. But early sobriety has its ups and downs, no doubt. I'll just be glad in the morning to not have a hangover.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Keeping you in my thoughts Rio.

forabetterlife, I like that quote too and will remember it next time I think about taking a drink

Thanks everyone for you comments & advice regarding taking my coworker out for drinks. Nobody had made any plans as of this morning so I decided to do the planning myself and we are having a luncheon tomorrow at work instead. The down side is I am pretty sure they will be bringing alcohol in to work but I think I will be able to get through it.

I was busy all day today at work and then visited with my mom, brother & sister-in-law. Then went shopping for the luncheon tomorrow. I didn't get home until 9:30pm and contemplated on whether or not to even eat dinner. I did eat because I haven't been sleeping very well and I didn't want to get too hungry and end up eating at 2:00am. I am finally relaxing and will go to bed soon.

Have a great Friday everyone
Old 09-18-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Day 12 here, longest period of sobriety in a year, I'm driving 4 hours tonight to spend the last weekend with my sister before she emigrates from UK to Australia.

We used to really enjoy drinking together, excessively but she is supporting my plan and managing to moderate her drinking quite well.

I've told her under no circumstances am I going to drink, she agrees.

My plan;

I'm taking spicy tomato juice, cranberry juice, herbal teas, hot chocolate, tomato cup a soups, all things I have been enjoying in the evenings the last 12 days.

I'm planning on driving somewhere every night around 9/10 pm even if just to a lake, church, whatever to give me a focal point of the evening.

If they're drinking and I don't like it, I'll either go out or go to bed.

Bonus;

When our 5 kids (all under 7) wake up at 6am I am going to be bright eyed, bushy tailed, all singing, all dancing, super Mum/super Aunt.

I will remember these last 4 days together instead of them being a drunken, messy blur.

Feeling positive, have a good weekend all xxx
Old 09-18-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds good FF - remember we're here too

D
Old 09-18-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Wonderful post, incontrol, thank you. You do not sound preachy at all, but rather inspiring and positive, just the things I need to hear. I know the few times I got to 30, 45 and 60 days, I had glimpses of what you are describing, but I also allowed myself to believe that I could have all that good stuff AND drink.

And you are soooo right about wishing time away so we could drink. Or, for me, I can't tell you how many times I'd wake up hungover, dreading the day and wishing it over because I had a full day at work and all I wanted to do was drink and or sleep. I would rather wish a few hours away at night now because it feels uncomfortable than wish days and days away. Plus, I NEVER wake up dreading the day when I'm sober.

Thank you again, I will re read your post as a reminder to myself of what is to come and why I need to stick with it
Old 09-18-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Day 4. So glad to be going forward and not backward. I have another busy day in the office and thankfully I love my job. Then also thankfully, it's the weekend which will give me a chance to get my personal life on track and get my exercise/yoga routine started again. The binge I had on Monday did set me back schedule wise. Nothing to do but move forward now. Have a great Friday, all!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Rar

Good Morning All -

Yeah, Fuzzy! yesterday was pretty rough for me too, but as the others have said, isn't it nice to wake up without alcohol brain?

InControl, I found your post very helpful. Thank you so much. I wish we could have a personal folder where we can put posts that especially impact us.

My out of town girlfriend is visiting today and tomorrow. Whenever she would visit in the past, both of us would drink LOTS! I told her I wasn't drinking anymore and she said, "That's okay - I'll bring my own beer." So, tonight will be a bit of a struggle with both Hubby and Girlfriend drinking. Wish me luck! I'm hoping I can set an example for her, since her drinking pattern is similar to what mine was. Presently, I'm feeling strong.

Have a great Friday everyone.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Keeping you in my thoughts Rio.

forabetterlife, I like that quote too and will remember it next time I think about taking a drink

Thanks everyone for you comments & advice regarding taking my coworker out for drinks. Nobody had made any plans as of this morning so I decided to do the planning myself and we are having a luncheon tomorrow at work instead. The down side is I am pretty sure they will be bringing alcohol in to work but I think I will be able to through it.

Have a great Friday everyone
I'm so glad you did this. I think not drinking in the office will be easier than trying not to drink while sitting in a bar. It would be for me, anyways. Still challenging, don't get me wrong, but easier.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Ooooo I haven't heard of Orphan Black...I'll check it out. I'm watching Dextor now. I'm on season 4 and it's getting kind of stupid. I'm bummed-started out so good too....

I should have gone to my Buddhist recovery meeting but I got lazy. I'm in my sweats, hair in very strange, beehive type knots to make it curly tomorrow. Just couldn't fathom going out into the world
Parts of dexter get stupid, other parts develop though. GOOD ones. I about dropped it in the middle as well.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Day 5 .
This is when I usually crash and burn. I'm rattling like a fire alarm today
Old 09-18-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Parts of dexter get stupid, other parts develop though. GOOD ones. I about dropped it in the middle as well.
Hubby and I watched Dexter. We liked it and even rented the last couple of seasons. It certainly is a bizarre series.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Rar

Did anyone watch "Breaking Bad"?