Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 2

Old 09-19-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Thank you SD. I think the list is a great idea! I'm going to start one tonight and keep one on my fridge and one in my phone so I can see it no matter where I am.

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Labgirl, I'll say to you what others said to me: it isn't too late: there is always hope when there is another day.

Just catching up with posts and so good to see how well people are doing. Secret, you are amazing Great job! Rio, how are you doing?

Today I've been out enjoying the weather all day. Long dog walk and then gardening. Met friends at a beer garden, which might sound like a nightmare, but I am not a beer drinker anyway, and the food is amazing, and I indulged myself

Fricka, I could totally relate to what you were saying about how obsessing on someone can make you feel like your problems are less, well, problematic. In my case, I usually picked people with problems, including addictions, which would make mine seem "smaller." Oh the things we do to delude ourselves.

Hope everyone has a great night--Day 12 tomorrow!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
S-a-t-u-r-d-a-y NIGHT! Remember that song?

The Bay City Rollers. My mum's cousin was in a band with, I think, the lead singers brother. They were semi-big but never quite made it. Quite sad as my mum's cousin ended up getting stabbed at a bus stop and making the right decision to emigrate to Tasmania. Can't remember the details but I'd put my house on alcohol being involved.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Can't sleep and feeling a bit glum. I have had such a productive week at work and instead of celebrating that, I find myself thinking of what I could have accomplished if I hadn't drank these last 15 years. I recognize this as my AV's "stinky thinking," but sometimes knowing that intellectually doesn't make it easier to manage emotionally. (Sometimes harder I think; I find myself beating up on myself for being so hard on myself, if that makes sense).

Anyway, sorry to be a Debbie downer. Just want to get this out. In the past, I would have dulled the feelings with alcohol.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  
Administrator

The flip side is I've done more in the last 8 years than I did in the 20 before that, matilda

focus on today - you can change today, but yesterdays in the past, y'know?
Old 09-19-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Another day down, cut the grass today and watched college football. I mention that because I get so invested in the games it affects my mood, and then I start thinking about drinking.

At least I'm becoming aware of some changes I need to make. Hope everyone's hanging strong, thx for asking Matilda.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Boredom, boredom, boredom.

I'm on the second day of a five day national holiday. Yesterday was great, and expensive. Today however my wife had arranged to do fruit picking with my. When I came back from the gym one of my kids was going to his friends at 1 then the another was going swimming at 3. My eldest has been away all day. Basically without letting me know my plans were cancelled. So I spent what was a beautiful autumn day watching YouTube. Tomorrow my wife and youngest are away all day.

I know I'm an adult and can do things myself but I hate not making the most of days off. I hate it even more when my family don't involve me in their plans. I feel just pointlessly mulling around is dangerous in that boredom leads to potential cravings. In the past holidays would mean drinking, whether I wanted to or not. Not drinking meant not making the most of the holiday, an almost capital crime to me.

A couple of weeks before I quit drinking I quit sugar. Today I've had massive sugar cravings. In fact I'm famished despite eating a lot and well. I've been on an eating binge today and I can't get enough. My mouth just has to keep going. I also binging on water.

Crappy day. I have to do something proactive tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah - make plans tomorrow Midton - there's no reason for you (or me) to sit at home being bored

D
Old 09-20-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Hi class made it to day 7. Been going to AA meetings everyday and its helping a lot, even with those though my AV was chattering away yesterday, still can't expect it to be quiet just now after its been getting to party so much recently, it's quiet again today though
Peace X
Old 09-20-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Morning gang! Just chilling out here with the rest of the family still sleeping. I go to bed early, usually when the sun goes down so I'm up early too. Reading the news and drinking coffee. I hope Harper doesn't get reelected next month! He's too right wing for me, he's ruining our environment and he's involved us in wars where we used to be the peace keepers. Time for a change.

I got lots done yesterday. I have a ton of home projects that I want to get done. I've started writing lists of 5 things I want to do each week.... things I put off while drinking. Some are small like organize a cupboard, others are bigger like installing a new toilet or light. Time to reinvest in my home. I'd like to repaint the house. It's a townhouse so it's a really big job, 4 levels of the same color, and the ceilings are stucco ugh. But these projects should keep me busy on the weekends for the next few months.

My best friend invited me out drinking last night.... I declined. Glad I did today but I can't say that I wasn't tempted last night.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  
Rar

@ Midton: A couple of weeks before I quit drinking I quit sugar. Today I've had massive sugar cravings. In fact I'm famished despite eating a lot and well. I've been on an eating binge today and I can't get enough. My mouth just has to keep going. I also binging on water

I've seen posts on here where others say that sugar really helps the cravings. Because I'm a diabetic, I can only eat very little sugar. However, sugar is a carbohydrate. When we eat carbohydrates, we crave more carbohydrates soon after. Have you ever eaten a huge carb heavy meal only to go in search of something else to eat a little while later? If one begins to restrict their carbohydrates, the desire or urge for other carbs (including sugar) will pass and probably be gone in a couple of days. Have you every heard of someone having a HUGE craving for protein or gone in search of something containing lots of protein ? Try examining the other meals you're eating to see the carb load. Might help?

I also have been water or seltzer water binging. I can actually hear all that liquid sloshing around.

I hope you find something fun today and perk up.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Peace- one week! Awesome !

Midton, boredom is tough for me too. As far as eating, I just keep telling myself that not drinking has to be my number one priority. If I overeat or skip exercise, oh well- if I drink, then tomorrow is day one (maybe) and I hate myself and my life. Big difference. Hang in there, tomorrow is a new day !

Jealous of the cooler weather many of you are beginning to feel. I won't feel it here maybe November and even then , it's just not the same. I'm a cold weather girl living in a tropical climate - ugh! I spent years being depressed and bitter Over it. My dad told me shortly before he died that I need to realize it's the people that matter, not geography or the weather. Of course he is so right.

Woke up today, day 10, grateful for another sober morning an praying for the strength to get through those inevitable tough moments today. We will all get through them. NO Sunday drinking.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats peacehappyness

D
Old 09-20-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Twenty one days. Three weeks. As my father reminded me this weekend, and awfully supportive he was (surprising indeed) it is not a thing to be too excited about yet. Perhaps, cautiously optimistic. I've been here before. Twice. At least.

Something feels different because my sobriety is not defining my life right now. And my urges are minimal and rare and weak.

But the problem is I'm not happy. With my life or where I am. It doesn't make me want to drink, but it does diminish the victory. One step at a time, that is how I'm trying to do things. The liquor was a fog cloaking everything, creating false valleys and mountains. Problems and solutions that didn't exist. And now the fog is gone and I see a dull messy landscape that needs a lot of hard work and attention.

Well,

I will get to it.

Best wishes to you all.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 21 days Kinzoku.

You're making great progress but 21 days is just 3 weeks y'know?

very few of us were happy at that point - I know I wasn't - I was still working on not drinking.

Give yourself a chance to heal and to grow and to think about what would make you and your life happy.

You'll get there

D
Old 09-20-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Just checking in. Last year I joined the October class of 2014. Made it nine months my longest stretch. Relapsed in June and now I'm here. Last drink was a week ago.

Life's a lot more manageable sober I can tell you that. I won't be fooled again.

I wish you all the best!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Arbor

D
Old 09-20-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Arbor. Welcome. I'm also back after a relapse. It's great to be back isn't it?
Old 09-20-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

It's wonderful to be back Rar. Wonderful!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Night all

D