Notices

Class of May 2015 Part 6

Old 07-12-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

YES!! Arrested Development is amazing. I also am really into Blue Bloods right now.

I'm doing okay. Still waiting for the roller coaster to level out. I'm waiting for the day I don't have a craving. Somewhere along the way last week I gave myself permission to drink. I got uncomfortably close to drinking last night but last minute I exercised my right to NOT drink. Anyways, still waiting to schedule my surgery. In the meantime, I'm resting up. Recently discovered a herniated disc in my back so I'm chilled up on the couch with a heating pad watching Jurassic park lll.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Copper, glad you made the decision to not pick up that drink. It definitely wouldn't have helped the situation. Hang in there and don't be afraid to come in here asking for support when those situations arise. That's what this site is here for. You're in my thoughts and prayers today.

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
Hi Class-

Getting to Season 7 on Dexter. After I wrap that up (if it ever ends lol) going to check out Rectify perhaps? I haven't heard of it either.
Rectify is a very very different show from Dexter. It's very slow-paced and a whole lot about just the atmosphere. While it has a mystery of sorts as the plot device moving things along, it's much more about the journey than it is about the destination.

I watched Dexter when it first started airing but finally gave up on it about halfway through season four or five, whichever season was after the one with the guy from Harry and the Hendersons. I figured out that I absolutely couldn't stand anyone else on that show except for Dexter himself and I was actively hoping he'd kill them all, especially Batista and that other cop he was married to. And Dexter's sister wasn't much better. I quit Dexter cold turkey and never looked back. Wish I'd put that much thought into quitting drinking all those years ago.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

I never knew there was a button in the tool bar to do the YT thing!! Cool. Yeah, once you post a YT video it becomes second nature.

I highly recommend pushing through on Breaking Bad. I couldn't stand it at first but now I've watched all 5 seasons more than once. In the beginning, that's when they had to dispose of those two bodies and Jesse put one in the upstairs bathtub and poured that acid in there. Remember? Don't want to give something away.

House of Cards is excellent. Love Kevin Spacy. I don't like tons of foul language so I'll skip shows that are like that. Some can't be avoided but if they have to rely on that to fill their script with words, I feel sad for them. Same thing with comedians. If they can't get a laugh without swearing constantly, they can't be that good in the first place.

I signed up for a free 30 day Hulu Plus membership. I'll see what they have that Netflix doesn't have and decide if it's worth keeping it.

I think it's nap time. ((Yawn))
Old 07-12-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Ahhhh! Thank you Casey! I had no idea. I'll have to start looking for more youtube things to post now!

Copper, I've been finding that my back is not as bad. I know I've heard alcohol causes inflammation, and I wonder if that has something to do with it. maybe it's just because I'm sleeping sober and not passed out in a bad position for a few hours haha

Maybe I'll try Breaking Bad again tomorrow if the internet is good enough at the hotel. I know I was starting to like it, I just wasn't focused enough and didn't want to waste such a good show! I still have the last 6 or so episodes of Sons of Anarchy to watch as well...
Old 07-12-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Hi, all, busy day today.
Casey, I’ll be watching for your day 70. That is such a wonderful number! Hope your arm and shoulder get better soon.
I’m so bad at keeping up with any series. I liked Silence of the Lambs but never would’ve been able to see it twice, or its sequels, let alone Hannibal. Maybe Rectify, maybe… I love historical and science fiction, so Outlander (Starz) has been my fave.
Site, I so get that. Sometimes I have to get away from the computer. Just to not fire up my sciatica if for no other reason!
Nmd and Allie, sorry you slipped. Best thing is to get right back into the saddle, no looking back. Move forward at 100% confidence!
Saggitarius, also great about 7 months smoke free! I’m in a better place than I was a year ago, too. Last time I had neck issues, I went to a good massage therapist, who actually found a knot in the throat area that alleviated the neck pain! I was amazed! I’ve had TMJ problems, too, so it was probably related to that in some way.
Cissy, I like being home, too. I have to make sure I get out and not become too holed up. In the next year, I want to definitely get out more and do the things I have only thought about from time to time.
Dharma, I’ll have to look into White Collar and Mad Men. Never got into series in general, but it'll be nice to look into those.
Copper, hang in there, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as well.
Wishing all a good Sunday evening and great start to the week!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Thanks kale. That's what I'm doing. Starting over again! :-)
Old 07-12-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hello Class of May 2015. Today is 43 days sober for me (sobriety date 5/31/15) and I'd like to join your group. I've tried this before - first in October 2009, then in May 2012 (went 63 days before relapsing), tried again in December 2014 (that didn't last long ) and now with renewed strength and determination I am back.

I've waited a bit before joining because I didn't want to repeat my past patterns.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to the Class of May 2015, ThursdayNight! We've got a great group here and I'm so happy you've decided to join us! Hope you'll become a regular part of our discussions here. I promise we don't always talk about television shows like we did this afternoon--sometimes we actually talk about recovery! And what day it is in Australia. We talk about that A LOT.

Congrats on 43 days! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Ending day 66 here. Slower night at work but that was to be expected on a Sunday night. Did OK money-wise. Not great, not awful. It was smooth.

Just finished writing in my journal and catching up on here. Going to watch tonight's True Detective before bed. Hope everyone had a nice and sober Sunday and I'll talk to you tomorrow. Let's hope by "tomorrow" I don't mean like last night when I stayed up until four in the morning.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you TN

D
Old 07-13-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
nmd

Just catching up.

Going to try cutting back to one cup of coffee a day in the morning and see if that helps with my anxiety levels. I have to imagine removing alcohol but continuing to drink 10+ cups of coffee a day is not the best for anxiety symptoms.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome thursdaynight!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Welcome, TN! Congrats on 43 days!
Old 07-13-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your welcomes!
Old 07-13-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Nmd I think that is a good idea. Coffee was definitely making anxiety worse for me.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 67. Don't mean to sound like a broken record but the plan for today is noon AA meeting, catch up on some of my Sunday night TV shows this afternoon, work tonight. Wash, rinse, repeat. Sometimes a routine isn't a bad thing. Life is OK right now.

Have a big juicy steak sitting in the fridge right now. Going to cook that for lunch. Can't wait. I must need iron or something because my body and mind are both really craving that steak right now. First red meat I've had in quite a while.

Wishing everyone a happy sober Monday!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Omg a steak sounds so good! I think you just helped me decide what I want for dinner. :-)
Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Ugh. I LOVE red meat. It's going to be a problem one of these days. But for today I see the room service menu has a delicious sounding cheeseburger. Yum!

Welcome TN! Nice job on 43 days. I'm glad you decided to join us! May is a great class to be a part of.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Welcome, ThursdayNight. Interesting name. Congrats on your continued success and we're all glad you joined us.

Hi, everyone. Going to be another hot day here (but I can't complain cause there are Texans among us and I'll get laughed off the thread.) Don't think we have any rain in the forecast. My lone potted tomato plant is doing well. Someday I may even get to eat a tomato!

Not a lot to say right now. Had a job offer last night but after thinking about it, I called to cancel our meeting which I set up for today at 2pm. It would have required me to work just about every day (or literally every day) and go for one hour in the afternoon and/or one hour at 11pm to hoyer lift a woman with MS out of her wheelchair and change her diaper. Incontinent of both. I decided it was definitely not something I would want to do so I said no thank you.

I actually dreamed about her all night and I wouldn't call it a pleasant dream set at all. Lots of poop. Everywhere. I'm sure it's not like that but I felt like I dreamed about her all night. I'm just sick to death of healthcare and I want to work with animals.

There's a chance I'll pick up another dog sitting gig soon. Hoping for that. Sober Monday. Who's in?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I'm definitely in.

Healthcare is tough, my husband used to be a CNA. That's just something I couldn't handle. Cissy, is dog sitting what you do? How about dog walking? Maybe you can get into grooming? Are there any places like that around you to get your foot i in the door?

Casey - steak is yummy. I have cut back on red meat though, since I'm getting older. But nothing beats a nice steak or burger once in a while - I don't know how vegans do it.

Got nothing exciting here today. Just off to work in a little while. My neck/head feels better today - guess the Icy Hot stuff is helping.

Hope you all have a great beginning of the week!
Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Re-Member

No noon AA meeting for me. I fell asleep again after posting in here this morning and just woke up at 12:10 pm. Oh well, guess I needed the sleep. I'll go to a meeting tomorrow.

Cissy's comment about the weather in Texas made me go look at the forecast. 90 degrees here right now. High of 98 later this afternoon. It's July 13 and I don't think we've broken 100 yet this summer. Still plenty of time though. Not making fun of you though, Cissy, I promise. I will say that at least where I live now there is usually not much humidity. That's the only thing I don't miss about Austin. I have long curly hair and the humidity makes it almost unmanageable. If I move back there, I will be getting a hair cut.