Notices

Class of April 2010 - Part 3

Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Kim,
You and your husband are headed in two, yet equally healthy , directions !

I've lost over 50 lbs since early April with overhauling the way i eat and some exersize.
Nixing all the empty carbs is my only explanation really. I eat at least three times what i used to, just without all the junky poison. I've heard that if we would keep our insides as clean as our outsides, there wouldn't be a whole lot of health problems, overweight, diabetes, etc. Want to clean my car ?, I' wouldn't want to use a pizza, nope, water works the best, .........that's the idea behind eating watery veggies about 4-1 whether you eat them with meat or a higher carb whole food like brown rice or wheat pasta, potatoes, etc. The best thing of all is that I get to eat a ton of food !! No counting this, weighing that. Nadda
The hardest thing for me was going through my place and giving away, ...and staying away from the gazillion nutritiously empty carbs found in (so-called)foods with sucrose ( sugar) in them. You start thinking about giving up things as common as ketchup and the list is endless. Read the labels. Mentally, I think it's tough as hell without good info, since who grandma/ Aunt/Mom/ Dad/ Nana didn't give sugary treats out, ....celebrations with deserts,candies, as "rewards" Changing the way i looked at processed sugar was similiar to the mental transformation I have toward alcohol. If y'all read "sugar blues";.... you and your husband'll get the full picture, enough info to warrant being free for life. Not to mention , breaking the cycle for your kids. And it (sugar blues) is funny , to boot. ;-)))

I eat a ton of natural sugar now. It' comes from fruit (fructose) .....without eating fruit, I'd just get whatever sugary thing I could.

Enough about all that though, ....I'm convinced there's 1000's of pages of confusing misinformation distributed ( by folks with a horse in the race), and that's why billions and billions are spent yearly by people trying to address their weight problems. If they really worked, wouldn't we stop spending yet billions and billions ad infinitum next year and the next ?

I say the "caveman diet" is a good place to start !

Well, that's all the diet and healthy food rant I have for this thread. Mental and physical fitness seem like a natural progression in recovery; .....but , that's just me.

Hope your husband can pass those requirements ! Seems like a short notice ?!?

Take care Kim ....... you and your growing family !!!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

It sounds like your husband is doing a lot of good things health wise. I agree with a lot that was written above. We all pretty much agree cut sugar and carbs.

I don't find it that hard to cut carbs. When I am following my diet I eat meats, protein and veggies. No soda. No dairy. No breads/pastas. I don't worry bout the carbs I get from the foods I do eat.

Top mentioned the caveman diet. Google that and you will find a lot of info on some good diets. There is a lot of evidence that processed foods are bad for us. I'm reading some books on that actually...the paleolithic diet. I could go on a lot about that.

Top - Even if there is something out there that works I think there will still be billions spent. People want shortcuts. Hell...if I could eat Whoppers, Pizza and drink soda everyday, and be skinny AND healthy I'd do it.

Good luck with you and your husband Kim!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Administrator

diet talk :

LOL
D
Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
diet talk :

LOL
D

D,
Always bringing us back to some semblance of sanity ! LOL

LMAO !!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Diet talk!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness, i feel so guilty right now!

I am sorry that I have not posted for so long. Like Kim said, I am in the chat room fairly regularly but I forget that not all of you go in there :ghug3 btw Kim, I love you too

I am actually trying to cut back on how much I go on to chat because it seems to have taken over my life a little, but I really need to come on to forums more to pay it forward. This place helped me so much in the early days and I would like to think I can do the same for others.

Things are going fine for me. A few bumps in the road to recovery but hey, that's life right? One day at a time has led me to 5 months sober this Saturday.

Oh, and warmer weather is just around the corner (thank goodness) so that's an up thing as well. Getting to the gym at least 3 days a week and trying to improve my diet is my next challenge (sorry Dee... there is that "D" word again... hehe). Funny story, I had a setback this week because I fell over my elliptical trainer....hahahaha oh dear!! How ironic is that? Message there somewhere perhaps? lol

Anyway, a great... no I would say my BEST SR friend reminded me how important it is to treasure friendships, no matter how they are formed. You all mean so much to me.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK I give in...I'm buying an exercise bike next week...

in all seriousness I do think good health needs to be a part of the recovery process too LOL

D
Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

lol, sorry but caveman reminds me of this emoticon

All this diet talk is making me hungry... lol

I am going on a sugar free diet but waiting til school holidays start because having done this diet before i know the withdrawals are horrible
It is definitely worth it though as my sugar addiction is definitely out of control at the moment.

5 months for me now folks... who wulda thought? lol Feels good to be posting in forums again.

Have a good weekend
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hey guys! Yes, sounds like we all have health on the mind! I've lost 25 lbs since we quit, but things have been stagnant for a month so that's a bit frustrating. I've been kinda obsessive in the past about weight, diet, and exercise, and this time I'm really dedicated to trying to be sane and not overdo something I can't keep up (or transfer obsessions), so I'm okay with it being slow -- just as long as it doesn't come BACK! Mostly this means being more mindful of what & when I eat. I enjoy exercise and get a fair amount of it, but all my activities are solo (biking, hiking, gym) . . . I wish I were more coordinated so I could enjoy sports!

I used Atkins in the past and I agree, it does show results quickly. It's not right for me right now, but for those of you on it, enjoy it!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congratulations on 5 months Oz! Good to see ya on the forms.

Yes UBC there is a lot of info on the Caveman or Paleolithic diet. When you read about it it is hard to argue with the logic of it. Have fun on the hike.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey AG. Nice job with the weight loss. Now that you mention it I do all my exercise alone too. Hmmmm...going to a movie by alone later today too....wow...that's really depressing! Maybe I will try to do something sports related with other people.

The issue I have with the Atkins is the lack of fruits and other nutritious food. Not how we were meant to live imho.

Nice Noid commercial UBC!

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'm off till Tuesday at this point.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey all...

It's sooooooooo nice in Wisconsin right now. Got down to 59 degrees. Nice and cool I love it. Smells so nice. Nice breeze too, you can actually go outside without being eaten by mosquitoes.

Feel somewhat productive. Had the day off. Got yard work done. Ran some errands. Went to that movie by myself. The Last Exorcism. Very interesting movie. Liked it. Prob not really anyone else's type of movie on this thread other than Kim.

Was thinking today that this woulda been a great drinking day for me. Day off. Got some stuff done. Off tomorrow. Prob woulda started by 5pm if not sooner. Drink so much it was hard to be awake by 7pm, then when that hit go till 10pm, then keep drinking and asleep by 1-2am. Wake up drunk. Not remembering a lot of the previous night.

Thank God those days are behind me. Thank you for all your support too.

I love the Fall. When it cools off. Halloween's coming...my favorite Holiday.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Feel somewhat productive. Had the day off. Got yard work done. Ran some errands. Went to that movie by myself. The Last Exorcism. Very interesting movie. Liked it. Prob not really anyone else's type of movie on this thread other than Kim.
Hey, I'd see that one! I'm particular about my horror movies . . . but anything with creepy children and/or exorcism usually makes the cut.

I'm excited about fall approaching, too. Looking forward to some cooler weather.

I've been having drinking nightmares again. A lot of them this week. In the dreams I decide I can maybe have one drink, but then in the middle of the drink, I freak out, get upset, and stop midway. In the dream last night I actually felt a bit drunk--in a gross, sleepy, passing out kind of way--so maybe that's a good trick my mind can play on me to remind me what I'm NOT missing. I'm not sure why the dreams are happening now, except perhaps that I've been socializing a little more. I still haven't been in a "drinking only" environment, like a bar (and I'm in no hurry to go), but I did last week go to a restaurant that doubles at a bar, a place where in the past I did get drunk. UGH. It was hard, but I ate dinner there w/everyone and had my diet coke, and drove myself and got out of there as soon as I needed to . . . socializing sober has been easier than I thought it would, in many regards, but I have always had a lot of problems worrying excessively about what people think of me after the fact, and that continues. I think when I was drinking I found it easy to dismiss anything embarrassing or obnoxious by telling myself, "oh well, I was drunk and so was almost everyone else . . ." Or, it would be easier to forget these things, the night being a blur. Now, I still experience shame and regret over things that logically, reasonably I know people don't care about/notice, or even if they did, are very minor things. (I think I inherited this from my mother, who also worries endlessly about social graces.) I need to talk to my counselor more about all this soon, but it's good to get it out on the page here, too. Sorry for the endlessness and disorganization of this post!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

AG...I didn't know we had another horror fan! Well The Last Exorcism has both of what fits your criteria. I would like to know what you think of it. It is interesting. Would also like to know what other ones you like.

I never really has the drinking dreams. When I went on my 30 day challenge to eat better I had dreams about twice a week about eating prohibited foods. I'd have a dreadful feeling and be relieved when I knew it was a dream. So I could relate to the drinking dreams and was surprised I didn't have any.

Oddly enough I had a drinking dream last night. In the dream there was someone else in the dream I knew would tell me to drink and I knew I would listen. So in the dream I knew I would be giving up so much by drinking. Glad it was just a dream.

Congrats on the continued sobriety AG.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Oz , Congrats on the 5 months. !!!

AG , that's pretty cool about the 25 lbs, .....can relate to the after-the-fact self criticism process. Can't figure out if it's my ego thinking folks remember the unimportant details (in my mind) , ,,......or I'm just a bit of a social klutz ! Lo ....that feels kinds good to write down !?!

Ghostly, I'm lovin' this fall weather approaching too , my favorite season. Guess Spring is coming for OZ , my second favorite season !?!

Got through that surgery ok Fri am. Damn , it feels great to be sober with all the downside opportunities to mix pain killers w/ weed, then schedule the drinking etc. I've only taken a couple of the oxicodone ( 1 fri, and 1 sat ) ....at this rate I'll only take 3 or 4 out the 30. Wonder who takes 30 ?!? They say 1-2 per 6 hours as needed. I guess it wouldn't take too many days , really.

Well, dang, 5 months for me went by Sat, ...since it's actually Sun already. Y'all know how wordy I can post, but lucky for us all, my first post tonight got lost in cyberspace, so this is the abbreviated version LO

Take care guys.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Great to see you guys doing so well

Hi,

Just read some of the posts here and you guys are an inspiration, healthy, happy, so positive.

@UBC - You cracked me up saying binge drinking in your crib should be a crime....lol loved it.

Great stuff.

Annette
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

TS.....When I rolled my ankle and had the total ligament tear I was on oxy for weeks at the dr. advice. I took about 2 a day and at 2 weeks that is almost 30. Yeahhhh I had anxiety and depression (being housebound didn't help).

I don't take any pain meds whatsoever do to the risk of it bringing on anxiety again. Kinda has me worried about baby delivery.....but I am still almost 5 months away so not stressing yet. Cross that bridge as they say. Of course if I have a c-section well then im effed since I prob will need some pain meds. Don't know if tylenol with work on cut upon stomach....LOL.

Ewww I realized I am so detailed in my posts.

BTW.....Ghost we didn't get that movie in yet here so when it comes out I will surely watch it. I liked a Haunting in Connecticut and was surprised it was that good.

Huggs gang and another sober weekend down.

Happy Labor Day
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

That's one weird dream.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I worry way too much what people think too. As far as moving - a lot of times I would tell you to be careful about running away from your problems because they may follow you. In the case of moving you have some really good points. Maybe a fresh start would be best. Let us know what you decide, I'm curious.

I hurt my neck. I'm really bbbbbblllllllaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh right now. Kinda bummin.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

UBC,
I think you've thought the "moving " idea through enough to seriously consider it, even if you didn't feel that way about neighborhood rumors of past misconduct reflectlive of some dubious character flaws. (where did that string a' words come from !?! Lo )

Ghostly, ........ WTF happened to your neck ? Hope it wasn't from a bike crash; ...or even bike related ! Damn, I miss riding in a BIG way already, trying my best to be inactive recovering from this hernia op..

The other night I was getting cabin fever ; so I headed down here to work (Wi-Fi access here) and posted a long post ( who knows where THAT ended up ? ) ....so it was 3am by then, and I just wrote something ; .....to get back home .

Speaking of the wierd dreams, OMG, I had the nightmare of my life this morning. It must have been a sort of bizarre medical related thing. Thank goodness I can't remember most of it !!!!!

Went to Ga. this am to get an eye exam and some eyeglasses. Another little positive step in recovery, .....since I haven't had an eye exam in 12 years, and lost my last pair of glasses 7 years ago casting for bait out in the river. Yea, ...just one more alcohol related mishap left unresolved. Until TODAY anyway !

20/20 sight will take the anxiety out of trips on the Interstate , for sure,

Kim, I ended up only taking two of those oxicodone. Thanks for the warning. Now , there's 28 left to hoard.

Be glad when the swelling is gone, but it's down from the first 3 days considerably. I was feeling like I'd been shanked 3 times a few days ago !!

Reaching 5 months sobriety feels great though !

Stay Strong Y'all
TS

Last edited by topspin; 09-07-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: sp