Notices

Class of April 2010 - Part 3

Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was so scared of going to the Dr UBC...I drank all day everyday for years, smoked 40 cigs, ate like crap....I was sure I was doomed....but I wasn't...not yet anyway LOL

Go get yourself checked out - I think you'll be relieved.

D
Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 5 months Kim !!!

These past month sure felt quicker than April. That base situation can be a little tough, when it comes to getting to garage sales etc. searching out great deals on cribs/ carseats/ strollers/ ....and on and on the list goes. With your creativity, maybe you'll be able to find a few things early on, ....just to avoid any (more) undue stress as the months go by.
I'm sooo glad you have F2F with a counselor there.
Get some delicious carbs in your place; ......and CHOW DOWN !!!! Time to really focus on seriously plumpin' up !!!

UBC, ......I was convinced I had every desease/ malady/ condition possible before I went to an internal medical Dr. ( ....and that was almost a year ago ! ) Can't wait to go back to compare BP stats from back then till now though. Before my operation 10 days ago, the nurse seemed to think it was in good shape. I'm with everyone else on this, ..if you see the unknown as a stress inducer, the sooner the better. Like that paradoxical Buttermilk Bisquit Ad on Prarie Home Companion; "they give you the strength to do what needs to be done "

"I hate the negativity of this type thinking and knowing it would all disappear if I just got it over with and got my check up."

You know what needs to be done; ......and that's the absolutely great news !!!!!!

I finally stopped procrastinating on getting started on a long overdue BIG exterior paint job on the shop facing me for this Fall, now that the temp has dropped out of the high 90's. Only got in a couple hours of prep work before fatigue ( and hunger) set in. Lately, I've developed this thing for deep frying fish, ....so that's what I ended up doing before work tonight. Frying some catfish, lo Took some flounder out the freezer to fry Tues or Wed.
I can't believe how much food I chow down these days. My fridge has begun to look like a small deli !!!!!

Stay Strong .........you guys

Grateful, .......and a little tired (in a good way )

Old 09-14-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Thanks to each of you for the positive words of encouragement

I feel better and actually said why not and bought some baby gear....hehe. I think that was also part of my problem.....Almost have way into this pregnancy and I hadn't bought one thing for baby or me. So ordered myself some clothes and a few baby items.

Had my session today and it went well. The support I get from my counselor is amazing. He doesn't do smoke and mirrors with me or give me the answers but rather we discuss and we analyze and break it down. In other words he helps me understand and works with me to create tools that I will use since there isn't always going to a be a website/counselor/friend, etc. in every bit of my life and I am gaining the tools to be successful.

Good stuff and he was just gushing over my 5 months and the fact I stepped up and resigned and am making me first. These are huge things guys in reality but sometimes I downplay this and prob. everything positive in my life. It is ok to look oneself in the mirror and say good job. We all deserve that and we need to love ourselves. Very important work but as always....I am working it everyday.

UBC.....I want to send you good vibes on your appt.....I really think you will come out will flying colors here. I had a physical when I was drinking and man the liver count and kidney's were off the charts. I stopped drinking and everything healthwise is normal. All my functions came back great.....the crazy all over body itchiness is mostly gone (related to liver) and the numbness I would get in my legs and feet is gone.

No matter how nervous we are to go to the doctor.....remember that it is critical to be seen early on.....please don't wait and getting good news gives us that peace of mind.

I feel I need to know where things are at good or bad in life. I spent a long time hiding (oh boy did I) and now I am like.....give it to me and lets work with it.

Huggs all of my SR friends for taking this journey with me. Coming here and sharing HELPS me more then you will ever know.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

LOL...UBC you are awesome man with those one liners...love it. Halloween is actually my favorite time of the year....shocking right!! I usually get dressed up even if I don't go to a party but do it just to give out candy.

I am thinking of Nightmare Before Christmas....lolol.....sick right. I just watched that the other day

Also, your dad must be of the same school as mine since I always heard one liners growing up such as the following -

Don't make mountains out of molehills
Why Dad? Because I said so.
Go take a long walk off a short pier
Your so sharp your head comes to a point
Monkey, turds and chestnuts....(still have no clue what that was)
I don't want that for dinner Dad! Tough titties...thats it.
Your along for the ride.
Shutta thy moutha
Ummmm children should be seen but not heard (hated that one)

Ok I'm totally goofing around now....Did I ever share that I am highly random???...lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I haven't been on here in a good while. Still clean and sober. I've had a lot on my mind, some things that happened brought back the bad memories of my drinking for several days and really have made me miserable all over again. I have no idea how to forgive myself, and I'm pretty sure that's my biggest problem from my addictions right now. Life goes on, it's been a crazy month so far but we're getting through it. Lost one of our dog's, he was such a big goofy sweetheart. I'm finishing a couple more tests then getting a partial hysterectomy. The hubs will be home in a couple of weeks. 25 lbs gone since end of July and still working hard to lose 40 to 50 more. Slowly but surely I'm getting back into 'living' again.

I am sorry I haven't been around much at all. I've got many many many posts to catch up on in our Aprillers thread here. AG I owe you a PM! It's refreshing to see so many still posting and know that as some of us drift in and out, this thread and wonderful group of friends will still be around. For that I thank you all!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

MGS,

(((Really )) sorry to hear about y'all losing one of your dogs.
Knowing firsthand; .......what you must be going through with that.

I'll be saying a prayer for a swift and healthy recovery from your upcoming procedure.

"Still clean and sober. I've had a lot on my mind, some things that happened brought back the bad memories of my drinking for several days and really have made me miserable all over again. I have no idea how to forgive myself, and I'm pretty sure that's my biggest problem from my addictions right now. "

Knowing this isn't really helpful ; but, ..Is there any possibility of getting access to a counselor up there ?

So thankful you're clean and sober going through these rough and challenging days and weeks. I really believe you're becoming stronger through it all.

(((hugs)))

TS
Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Administrator

so sorry for your loss MGS

D
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Sorry about your loss and all you're going through MGS. Good to hear from you.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey UBC. Wow...you did go crazy with the posts huh? You asked for an opinion on that cleansing thing. I don't get it. I don't understand how that can cleanse you. Not saying it doesn't, but what does maple syrup have to do with anything other than pancakes?

Also...I know you're concerned about bad news from the Doc tempting you to drink. Eventually you are going right? So you'll get good or bad news eventually. Get it done. This waiting ain't helping you either.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

UBC , even at 3 days, I'd think the syrup would be critical, ....

You can use the rest in some great sucrose-free eats later on.
It'll easily be worth 30 ferns.

I gotta be honest though, that sounds like more a starving sailor's ration the last ten days crossing the Atlantic in the 16th century. No , they may have saved a few stale bites of crusty bread !

Oh, I keep my freezer where my neighbors do, ....right out on the front porch !!

But, it's a small one though, bout' the size of a VW Bug.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Don't be sorry for all the posts UBC! Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way about my last ref the cleanse. Maybe I should have read about it first. Never heard of that.

Keep it on the porch top! Awesome.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by unbrokenchain View Post
hey guys...
What's your fav color, food, drink, sport, hobby, country to travel, movie, band, comic, book,
quote, hero, actor, actress, place to relax in your town????
OK UBC, I'll give this a try;

a 3-color mix of Uroborus glass , blue-green-amber,
fried oysters, cherry, plum& frozen banana smoothie,
tennis,
glass carving,
Spain ( I have to qualify , that's the only place I've been besides Mexico ) #2 fav :Mexico , lo
Grapes of Wrath or Singin' in the Rain,
any band with John Lennon,
comic ? ....Chris Rock or Carlin,
Walden ( what's the odds, huh ? ) ,
"It's not to late to get an honest job" - Edward Abbey, or
" Living is about making mistakes. Dying is about wishing you had made more " - The Embassy,
Hero ? ..Corliss Lamonte ? ,
actor ? Steve Martin (in The Pink Panther ) or Deniro,
Audrey Hepburn,
oceanfront.

Note to self about sobriety, ....and such :-)

"Rule of Life Number 2 : Remember , it can all go to hell at any minute."
--Jimmy Buffet

...just kiddin
Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

MGS, I am thinking of you and I am so sorry for your loss. This is a rough time for you but we are here to lean on.

You are amazing strong woman and I know this from all of your shared experiences and I know that you will get through all of this.

Thankfully your hubby will be home soon and I have you in my prayers as you go through your testing and surgery.

Many huggs my friend.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

The weekend was great. We hit the gym (my first time in months), did the one year anniversary and it was beautiful. Today I have 5 months!

We drove up to Massachusetts on Sunday. Very easy and relaxing ride.

Monday was a huge slap in the face -- back to reality (The Bronx), but by Tuesday evening I was ok with that. I am doing ok today. I am comfortable with my relationship with my parents at the moment. It's more than I could ask for.

I need to read more literature and pray some more. People will fail you, but the program and your higher power won't is what they tell me. I have all the support I need right now, and I am fine with that. Just For Today talked about us always wanting more, and not appreciating what is already there. I am glad to have this thread. I never felt comfortable on these boards. But this one feels good right now. I am grateful to have a sponsor and two loving understanding parents. I am so happy to finally have a solid friend in NA. It took me 5 months to get that.
It is getting better.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome back cleansing. Congrats on 5 months! Sounds like things are going pretty well for you. Glad you are getting along with your parents.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

What's your fav color, food, drink, sport, hobby, country to travel, movie, band, comic, book,
quote, hero, actor, actress, place to relax in your town????

Ok UBC -

Green, pizza, Diet Pepsi, Hockey, playing in the back yard, USA, Sooooooo many movies, I'll go with Top Gun, Cracker / Violent Femmes, Batman, Bad Men by John Connollly, Let us recollect that peace or war will not always be left to our option, that however moderate or unambitious we may be, we cannot count upon that moderation or hope to extinguish the ambition of others - Alexander Hamilton, Batman, Bruce Willis, Jesica Alba, My back yard.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Cleansing

Congratulations on the BIG 5 !!!!

Today , I was just thinking about the very thing you mentioned :
......."about us always wanting more, and not appreciating what is already there."

With just 5 months of sobriety, I'm starting to realize just how much I have to be grateful for. It's the easiest thing in the world to get a little overwhelmed on this project I've started, but today, it occurred to me to just pace myself, work within my abilities, and enjoy it.

The Bronx would probably be a really cool place to visit (since I've only been to the City one time in my life and only for an afternoon ) Folks come here by the 100's of thousands from the NE and Midwest mostly; ......for the beaches and all. I've been here so long , it's easy to get "blind" to what they see through fresh eyes probably. Talk about " not appreciating what's already there " hmmmm!?!

Good to hear you've found someone in NA.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

UBC those pics are amazing. Yeah, def no back yards there though. Still beautiful. I'm 35 also so I was in 8th grade bout the same time. Funny huh? That is my fav song by them...most people pic Blister.

Actually, when I was in high School I had that cassette tape. My first car was a red 1979 Mustang. I put a tape deck in and for whatever reason it didn't work right and would not play tapes. The only one it would play was that Femmes tape though so that's all I listened to. Totally have everyone of the songs on that album memorized.

You're right top...we need to appreciate what's around us sometimes...or maybe always...def a lot. Try to relax and enjoy all the progress you are making. I think it's great you are doing it yourself.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Loving all the posts guys!!

Cleansing - Congrats on 5 months and a huge belated WELCOME!!! I am sometimes forgetful these days - bit of hormone action going on....lol. What I just noticed is that we are twins!!! We have the same avatar, lived up in same area (I lived up in Rockland before moving to CT), and most importantly we share the same sober/clean date!!!

All is good here my friends. My mid 30s pals here are keeping me entertained since I think UBC, Ghost and I all went to school about the same time....haha.

Here is to another beautiful day my friends!!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Oh and I forgot to mention that I love NY.....miss the city, love the Bronx Zoo and one of dearest friends just moved out of the Pelham section.....haha. It is quite an adjustment to German country life when I have had the best of everything back home.....a little NYC action, Jersey Shore, Lake George, VT and PA for skiing and the beauty of Boston and New England.

I really want to go for some seafood back home now....yummy! Perhaps a trip to the Cape is in order when we get home...hmmmm.