Notices

Class of April 2010 - Part 3

Old 08-17-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm in total agreement about finding natural highs
to feel good and improve lifestyles.....

I begin flying private planes again in early recovery.
I started doing volunteer work with a free medical clinic.
I took classes in subjects that interested me
and of course.....
my AA committment was vital for my well being.

For me....the most rewarding things in recovery are....
my deepening faith in God and
re-connecting with my family.

I hope everyone finds their passion for living.
Glad to see y'all making solid progress....

Last edited by CarolD; 08-17-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

UBC, .....Great idea you introduced about alternative activities for a more "natural" high. Used to hate that overused cliche; "high on life"; esp. when I was drinkin' !!

Been trying to rehab an old calamatous knee injury by cycling the past three months. Now, after gradually building up to around 100 mi. weeks, ...and losing 50lbs of body fat in the process, it's become part of a lifestyle, really. My way to relieve anxiety, and just generally
feel better .

Have to go in Thur. to talk to a Dr. about a damn hernia I got helping someone move furniture several weeks ago. So, it'll probably be no more workouts for a while after that procedure.

Thank goodness for a sober recovery ! Otherwise , couldn't think of a better excuse to get (and stay ) hammered. The "poor me" BS would've been kicking big time.

Chance to practice "acceptance" ...... I guess ?!?

Stay Strong Aprillers !!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

With the upgrade, I forgot to come back and post on that too, TS.
Hope all is well.

You're sounding great UBC
D
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I miss people too UBC.

Well I'm the new kid, I'm just comin' up
A lot of rappers think that I can't tear it up
Well I'm 'a show 'em and ignore 'em
And when they think I ain't lookin' I floor 'em
I mean take 'em out I keep groovin'
A slick bass line keep the beat movin'
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

hi folks!

topspin, sorry to hear about the hernia (and congratulations on your twin granddaughters!)

kim, hope you're getting tons of rest and feeling well.

ubc, carol, how fun hearing about your extreme sporting activities. i'm with ghostly, ha! fear of heights will keep me away from flying, i suspect. but i do need more endorphins. august has been so hot that it's hard to get outside, and i miss riding my bike! in a month things should be better as far as all of that goes.

last night i skipped out on a party to avoid being around people i don't know well who would be drinking (open bar). it was a networking opportunity and i feel a little bad i couldn't handle it, but i also know i need to keep giving myself time and four months isn't that much time yet. (plus i think i exhausted my ability to be the only non-drinker while i was with my family earlier this week.) i hope some day i will feel more comfortable being a non-drinker around people who are drinking, but i definitely don't yet. and i'm still working on building sober friendships, but it's going to take longer than four months. patience, patience, patience!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nice job AG. Nothin wrong with skipping some of the alcohol events.

Hope you're getting some rest Kim.

I'm off for the weekend. Work picnic tomorrow. Maybe get a bike ride in but I doubt it. Gounna chill round the house at this point.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hey Y'all,

^ ... That really looks a little redneck in print !?! lo

Ghostly, fine rhyme, my solja

AG, ....... making more good (rational), well thought out decisions. Ny....ice work

Good news on the medical thing. Talked to my surgeon and he's gonna fix me up on the third of Sept. Laproscopic procedure working in a mesh on the inside of the muscle wall.

The guy seems pretty competent, 13 years experience and all that. Anyway, the recovery period is pretty quick too ! Woo Hoo Sounds like 3 weeks is about it !!!!

Anyway, ...back at work tonight and grateful to be back online and esp. part of this group.

Sobriety is soooooo SWEET !

STAY STRONG Aprillers !
Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Glad to hear bout the relatively quick recovery Top! Good to hear from ya.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

117 days, still hanging in there. Turned 38 Friday. I spent the day with my kids, they got me some really neat gifts and a cake, my oldest even manned the grill and cooked us up some steaks and burgers. My husband's boat was about to pull back out from a port call down where they are patroling but he got to a phone before they left to sing happy birthday to me. That was cool.

It's good to see several of us still here. I hope we hear from some of the others soon too, and that they are doing well.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday MyGraySkies - and congrats on the 117 days

D
Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Happy Bday and congrats MGS!! 7
Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday MGS. Congrats on sober time
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you OzG - hows things?

D
Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Happy (belated) Birthday MGS !!!

UBC, .....Just today bought my first digital camera ! Luckily, it came with an instructional DVD included. Been thinking about things to photograph I take for granted around here, ....rookeries, water birds, dolphins, and just about every reptile common to the States. And, (of course), my mutts

Need to document 20 years of; yet undocumented commissions in this area. Another small detail I seemed to have overlooked in the past,
.....it was always just guk, guk, guk . "I'll get around to that "one day"

One Day" ...is finally here !

Have some fun this week y'all.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nice job reporting the incident to the police UBC. That's what neighborhoods need, people watching out for one another, and reporting criminal / suspicious activity. Seems like you are really recognizing a break through with your path in life.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found a desire for service in sobriety I never knew existed before UBC.
I think everything we can do to make this world the best it can be is a good thing.

D
Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi Guys-

I am here and sober!! I am now at 131 days and going strong

MGS....Huggs to you Birthday Girl!!! Way to go on that beautiful sober time!

TS - Glad everything is moving on with the knee surgery so sending you good thoughts for a speedy recovery. Just a reminder.....whatever meds the docs give you please keep in mind if you feel at all any change with anxiety or anything post about it and definitely tell your docs. I say this with love since when I rolled my ankle and was put on the anti-inflammatories and pain meds after about a week....I was quite depressed/anxious and had a panic attack. Being laid up bummed me out but I had neg. reaction to the meds and I was weak in my recovery so I reached for my old vice. I wish I had posted prior to the relapse but after I got back on the wagon and chatted to my counselor....he was shocked that they gave a recovering alcholic...pain meds especially with my history of alcohol induced anxiety. I only say this as a caution....now I know and am on top of any changes I may feel if I am on meds or anything.

UBC.....you are the Apriller cheerleader my friend!! I am damn proud of how you handled that incident! We must be connected somehow...lol. I was reading through and realized you were teaching (yes that def. is a service profession) in Japan so I know you totally relate to me teaching my preschool kiddos in Germany (well military spouse teaching our military dependents) but you understand life abroad...hehe. I also totally relate to making change and doing good in this world. I found that breath of fresh air in April too. The weight of that dark world created by alcohol was removed when I got sober and finally see clear again. Lots of things I want to do now but still taking it a bit slow.....I know there is much more to come as we have a lifetime of sobriety ahead of us. Huggs!

AG - I think you did great on that event! I have too that being around those that drink does not bother me BUT there have been recent "drink" events lately that I also have skipped out on. Going aways for folks in hubby's squadron that were held in bars and even though I have 4 months and recovery is strong and pregnant too boot.....I still found that i wasn't comfortable going. I know too well how nasty of beast alcoholism is and the life I lived was insanity but even being pregnant.....I know that my mind may still be tempted. Scary but true and my past experience speaks volumes of how damn destructive it is so staying on guard and saying no when I don't "feel" something is right is part of how of my recovery as I see it is yours. Huggs for putting sobriety first my friend!!

Ghost and Oz......Love you guys. We are usually bumping into each other in chat so I know you guys are doing awesome. Ghost keeps me going with my movie selection....yes still love Joy Ride. Oz....well you are a solid part of my SR experience and a dear friend.

Rev....I know you are floating around and if I am not mistaken....you are currently traveling....Vegas isn't it? I know you will update us when you get back so I am staying positive as you have been at the center of our Aprillers support.

Of course Dee and Carol are always out and about and I am grateful everyday for SR and their leadership and support here. I have learned quite a bit in my quest for sobriety and I really do commend both of you for setting the tone and leading by example. You both encourage and support and offer those "get real" posts about what have worked and what hasn't in your experiences. I know it sounds gushy and what not but lets get real here. I needed help in January and you were there. When I relapsed and came back....you were there and you continuously share the positive word of sobriety and the importance of recovery. For what its worth....you both have been tremendous in saving my life. Yup...I said it. You didn't come to my house and dump the booze.....but you helped me see that a new is possible and showed me there are way to many positive, sober ways to handle life's ups and downs and sober pity parties are ok too. Huggs.

I know there others here and I believe they are doing great....they will check in with us. I also know that from the beginning of our group....that we may have lost a few. Not sure but it does happen and I know that all of us will be right there to support and encourage.

I am doing ok but I really wanted to post for all of you since I haven't shared as much lately or commented on your individual posts.....smack me for being late to the party...LOLOL. I know we are strong but all of us must continue to focus on the positives and the good and know that our success does help others.

I remember slipping and coming back and seeing a few folks I started with posting about their continued success in sobriety. No they didn't make me stop drinking (only we can do that) but I said....man look at that. They were right there with me....going through the same feelings/physical/what have you....and look at them now. I can do this....I can get back up and stop and learn from what others have done that I may also implement to make my recovery stronger.

Yeah....this go with sobriety has been quite strong. Strong because I got the missing piece friends.....RECOVERY. I really didn't understand it the first time. It sounded like some religious thing. I thought I had it.....oh but no. Recovery for me (I believe it is different for every person) is about lifestyle change.....ridding myself of a crutch.....understand what triggers are....what alcoholism really is.....and knowing that while willpower and strength is needed to put down the bottle.....I need some program of support in place as I go on this journey.

Ok...enough blabbing...LOL. I just felt I haven't been as yappy lately but I have had some more struggles in my life but none of which have been solved with the bottle. Nothing in my life is worth drinking for.

Sometimes I will say that I feel cold and selfish. I am not believe me....but I have to put me and my recovery first. I sometimes skip on threads here because I have to focus on me. Sometimes I have found some threads depressing....and I don't think I have much to offer other then a....hugg and best wishes. That is ok too.

Now I am done for now...LOL.

Huggs and stay the course friends. Know that I am sober and following our group so even if I don't respond in detail to your posts know that I read them and I am blessed to have you and SR.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Kim...you did the work though :
I'm really thrilled to see you doing so well

D
Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kmber2010 View Post
Yeah....this go with sobriety has been quite strong. Strong because I got the missing piece friends.....RECOVERY. I really didn't understand it the first time. It sounded like some religious thing. I thought I had it.....oh but no. Recovery for me (I believe it is different for every person) is about lifestyle change.....ridding myself of a crutch.....understand what triggers are....what alcoholism really is.....and knowing that while willpower and strength is needed to put down the bottle.....I need some program of support in place as I go on this journey.

^^ You sound great.

BIG "thank you" for all your support and inspiration here, Kim !!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Glad you're doin so well Kim!