Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VII

Old 02-24-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Oh. I never heard of Gamera. What's the deal with the colon-looking thing on his ankle? Does it contain poison or something?

Inquiring minds need to know....

Love,

Lenina

It contains his "fuel organ" for jet propulsion !!

YouTube - Safety Dance Gamera
Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Tyler, thanks for sharing that wonderful experience about being at the school when they received the money. I almost cried at your story. It meant so much to me that YOU were able to go.

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Good to see you around again Husky, keep working at it!!

As far as the skating goes, I think they have very specific critera they have to use for judging. This is due to a scandal bribing judges a few years back I believe. There is very little room anymore for personal interpertation, and that is kinda a shame. If they want to judge it like this, they could just as easily use a computer or something. Wish there was a better solution.
DON'T GET ME GOING ON THE NEW SCORING SYSTEM

Can you tell I hate it yet?

As flawed as it was, the old one was much better. Yes, it takes a lot of the bias out of the scoring and guarantees there isn't a tie (which was the problem in pairs at Salt Lake City) but it also takes the heart out of the skating as well. Many skaters in the '80s and '90s would have scored much lower under the new system (including Paul Wylie (US - Silver), Torvell and Dean (GBR-Gold), Wilson and McCall (CAN - Bronze) and Brian Orser (CAN-Silver) to name but four. These skaters had grace and performed nearly flawlessly. They would have scored much lower with the current system though as their strength was in grace instead of simply landing the most triples and spins. T&D did receive 6.0's in 1984, however there is no doubt if they didn't have that grace their scores would have been lower.

Especially with the Instant Replay to make sure a skater has landed a jump without more than a quarter of a revolution missing and my frustration mounts.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I remember my first time of seeing the olympic pair skating....yes i am dating myself!

They used a 10 point system. There was an awsome couple from russia who scored a perfect 10 early on in the competition, I'm thinking they had one bobble in excecution and were absolutely awsome in their grace and style...they were the "expected" winners....and all was right in the world....

Then another couple skated....and they were flawless and exceeded the grace and beauty of the pair that received the 10......but there was no where to go.....

This must have been in the 60s?????

I know the system was somehow adjusted after that...but i think it may have been changed again since them....perhaps Alera can research that

love our mistress of skating history! thanks for the Gary Beacom links....

step step glide .... step step glide (grin)
Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Lots on my mind today.

Still sober/clean and looking at the grand scheme of things.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

well..this is the first time i've been really p*ssed since i got sober.....some people are just real "jerks" (use your imagination and substitute freely)

I've decided I'll just blow off steam here and then move on ... I'll be dmned if some idiot is gonna ruin my day.

I just cant f-ing believe it

(sorry for the bad language alera...hope the removal of letters makes this ok...sometimes you know those words are a necessary component of expressing the depths of rage....

Dont worry about it...i bounce....this won't matter in 10 minites....
Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

lol.....

good morning seculars

off for a wonderful day of cleaning and cooking for a potluck

and tomarrow is chili feed.....

hope you all have a super fantastic weekend!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

la la la la la
Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

still here
Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Still here. Just a lot going on in my house lately. Lots of stress. Hope things calm down here soon.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

....here....

....work = tired.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Present...and feeling somewhat better after the flu/cold thingy that had me ill.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Will, sorry you were down with the cold thingie. It was really rough for me when I got it earlier this year. Keep taking care of yourself for the next few days until your body has cleaned up the waste from taking care of the cold.

Bam, you rest up too.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you were ill zen, it's been going around here the last few weeks.

I'm still here, jumping from the secular 12 step forum to the secular connections one. I've quit AA, looking into other recovery alternatives.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAuuuuuugh!

Actually, I feel pretty fine. Have a good Monday!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, cam.

In celebration of 11 months today, I've decided to give up chocolate and other candy...and no more food from work for at least three months.

There's this local chocolate place that makes these super awesome peanut butter meltaway eggs. It's a whole pound of sugary goodness...and they were in the grocery store today. I passed them up. A whole bunch of them. Gah, those things are good! I would sell my ovaries for a lifetime supply. Why couldn't they have been out before my quit date?

I really don't think I can give up chocolate for the rest of my life, but right now my junk fooding is out of control.

I'll probably buy one of those eggs, put it in a foodsaver bag and eat it later this year for my birthday.

I am torn. I love food, but I don't love how much of it I eat.

Time to get this thing under control.

About those eggs....the stand for it is right in the midst of the fruit and veggie section! Darg! That's not right.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

hi bamboozle

I have never heard of peanut butter meltaway eggs, or even know what a meltaway egg it, but it sounds fantastic.

good luck with the cutting out of junk food for three months and let us know how it goes
Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

haven't had a cigarette in over three weeks. I was right at the store where I used to get them cheap with a pocketful of cash, and I didn't buy a pack! Yeah Alera!!!!

I had been down to 3 to 4 cigs a day but stuck there for a while. Being a stress smoker, today it would have been so easy to smoke but I didn't and feel really good about it.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Just read today that someone officially bought land to build two ice rinks less than half a mile from where I live. They expect it to take less than two years to build and open, which is a pretty standard time frame.

We haven't had an ice rink in over twenty years. That's why I had to commute on the train the last year I was training before my injury.

I am already beginning to study the required moves and programs for the tests so that I can work on them and get back to where I was pre-injury (I had been told if I was still walking twenty years down the road I should consider it a clean bill of health.). Time to start reading the new United States Figures Skating Rulebook and make plans to join our soon-to-be local figure skating club. With the new Adult levels (that go up to Nationals and beyond) t is a perfect time for me to start up again.

The owner of the land has donated/sold it to a non-profit (he had bought it to build rinks to begin with and leased it to a for-profit company for a dollar originally. They backed out and he learned his lesson).

After having the bridges burned on this land once regarding the rinks he was VERY cautious before selling it, which goes to prove how legit the deal is. Also, since the two rinks will be non-profit, prices are going to be kept down.

This will be the first time my "home ice" is regulation.

Sure glad I never sold my custom boots and Olympic level blades. No way I could ever afford them now.

Can you tell I'm excited??????
Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

you better keep me posted on this alera...and maybe some vidios????

Ok I know it's rude..but i gotta ask...how old are you?

I'm 51 and have thought about showing horses again, er...which would envolve riding one again (LOL)....

But 51 is a bit old in the body to start trying to deal...plus it's expensive....

Besides, first I wanna learn to ballroom dance and get a job!

ok..i don't want a job, but i need it (grin)
Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
you better keep me posted on this alera...and maybe some vidios????

Ok I know it's rude..but i gotta ask...how old are you?

I'm 51 and have thought about showing horses again, er...which would envolve riding one again (LOL)....

But 51 is a bit old in the body to start trying to deal...plus it's expensive....

Besides, first I wanna learn to ballroom dance and get a job!

ok..i don't want a job, but i need it (grin)
When I wake up, I'll send you a PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
haven't had a cigarette in over three weeks. I was right at the store where I used to get them cheap with a pocketful of cash, and I didn't buy a pack! Yeah Alera!!!!

I had been down to 3 to 4 cigs a day but stuck there for a while. Being a stress smoker, today it would have been so easy to smoke but I didn't and feel really good about it.
well done! Today is two weeks off the cigs for me and feelin pretty proud of myself too.