Blogs


Notices

Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VII

Old 03-04-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child
 
windysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: La
Posts: 5,664
2 months no cigs 4 me. i still want one.
windysan is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windysan For This Useful Post:
Lenina (03-07-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
Thread Starter
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by ananda View Post
you better keep me posted on this alera...and maybe some vidios????

Ok I know it's rude..but i gotta ask...how old are you?

I'm 51 and have thought about showing horses again, er...which would envolve riding one again (LOL)....

But 51 is a bit old in the body to start trying to deal...plus it's expensive....

Besides, first I wanna learn to ballroom dance and get a job!

ok..i don't want a job, but i need it (grin)
Have you considered trading riding lessons for exercising a horse?

As for ballroom dancing, I love Ice Dancing, which is basically ballroom dancing on ice. Many of the people who compete are not 18 years old, if you know what I mean.

If anyone tells you its not a sport, point them to Torvill and Dean. I used to scoff at the sport myself, until I actually tried it!

Here are three of my favorite dances of theirs....

1984 Olympics Westminster Waltz Compulsory Dance


1994 Olympics Blues Compulsory Dance



The infamous Bolero (perfect scores across the board) - 1984 Olympics in Sarajevo

Last edited by shockozulu; 03-06-2010 at 06:58 AM.
shockozulu is offline  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Member
 
Lenina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,326
Originally Posted by windysan View Post
It contains his "fuel organ" for jet propulsion !!

YouTube - Safety Dance Gamera
Dear windysan,

I had that Safety Dance song in my head for four days. Of course, I had to act out the Gamera along with it. I think I owe you a punch in the nose.

Love,

Lenina
Lenina is offline  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better
 
tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Beautiful Inner Banks of NC
Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 8
I have a work event tomorrow night where alcohol is going to be involved. I am not going to drink. This will be a first for me. While I don't always get plastered when I go out socially, I usually do drink. I had been dealing with this by just not going out, but at some point I need to face the facts of the situation.

Twice in the last few weeks I have gone out with friends and drank both times. The first time I had planned on not drinking, but did. The second time I had planned on only drinking a couple, but drank more than that. I've always said I am a binge drinker and can successful drink socially if I want to, but I'm not so sure that is really the case. I talked to my doctor about it today and she said if the topic came up with friends and I was uncomfortable with it I could tell them, with all truth, that my doctor had told me not to drink for health reasons. I think I'll run with that. In truth, over the last 20+ years I've drank my share and several other people's share of booze, and I think I've just reached my limit. So wish me luck secular peeps. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow night. Take care.
tyler is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 26,407
Blog Entries: 1
I'll be thinking of you tyler....yeah when i sat down and did some work on my drinking past this time....i discovered there were alot more signs of my alchoholism than i've been able to see or honestly admit to in the past....

My mind has an unbelievable ability to say it isn't so....
Ananda is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ananda For This Useful Post:
tyler (03-09-2010)
Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
Thread Starter
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Thinking of you tomorrow Tyler. That will be a lot of thinking as I am down with another ear infection (and the wonderful upset stomach that goes with it).
shockozulu is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shockozulu For This Useful Post:
tyler (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Member
 
cambridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 159
Hi Tyler - hope your work do goes well. I'd prolly make an appearance and then leave early myself if I thought it was going to be a problem.

For me it has been pretty important to have a non alcoholic drink in my hand at functions. Sure, I'm guzzling the diet coke, but that really can't hurt me so much.
cambridge is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cambridge For This Useful Post:
tyler (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better
 
tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Beautiful Inner Banks of NC
Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 8
Thanks for the support everyone!!

I wish I could arive late and leave early, but it is also our annual corporate meeting. They close all the stores in the country early afternoon so every associate in the country can attend. Obviously there are numerous meetings in different locations, but they are linked by satalite connection. Most of the time will be meetings, but there is a dinner and party in the evening. I think I'll be ok. One because it's a company event, and two because they issue everyone drink tickets, which I'm going to give away. I'm sure I'll find no shortage of people willing to take them off my hands!! Thanks again, take care.
tyler is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Member
 
allport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: north yorkshire, england
Posts: 1,891
Alera since you are such a big Torville and Dean fan I wonder if you have had a chance to catch their UK show Dancing on Ice?

It is a basic teach famous people to do something format but since ice dancing is so difficult and at times dangerous it is a lot of fun, and some of the stars have turned out to be amazingly talented (the ones who are rubbish are funny too).

Best bit for an ice dance fan though is that Torville and Dean do a routine each week, I was going to say considering their age they are awesome but when I think about it they are still world class never mind their ages.
allport is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to allport For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Member
 
allport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: north yorkshire, england
Posts: 1,891
Also have a great time Tyler and good on you for taking that first big step. x
allport is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to allport For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 26,407
Blog Entries: 1
wow alley..i'll have to try and catch that....

i see alot of parallels between ice dancing and real life
Ananda is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better
 
tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Beautiful Inner Banks of NC
Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 8
Well the night went well. I gave away my drink tickets as soon as I got them and then sipped water the rest of the night. A few people asked me about it and I just said I wasn't drinking and left it at that.

I was a fun night though. They issued annual awards for our region and I must say, my store kicked some a$$!! We had Sales person of the year, Sales Manager of the year, Store manager of the year, 2 out of the 4 "directors club" (an over all performance award), as well as Branch of the year, which earned us a weekend in a fly 7 bedroom oceanfront beach house with the senior management cooking us anything we want for dinner on Friday night!! Everyone was partying pretty hard, but I stuck to my guns and it all went well. I think the weekend at the beach house could be challenging though. Got another month and a half to figure that one out!! Anyway, thanks for all the support. Take care.
tyler is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tyler For This Useful Post:
otterbearcat (03-20-2010), shockozulu (03-10-2010)
Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
Thread Starter
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by allport View Post
Alera since you are such a big Torville and Dean fan I wonder if you have had a chance to catch their UK show Dancing on Ice?

It is a basic teach famous people to do something format but since ice dancing is so difficult and at times dangerous it is a lot of fun, and some of the stars have turned out to be amazingly talented (the ones who are rubbish are funny too).

Best bit for an ice dance fan though is that Torville and Dean do a routine each week, I was going to say considering their age they are awesome but when I think about it they are still world class never mind their ages.
I so wish that I could see that show. ITV won't let me see it online here in the US, but I'll try to find another place to see it tomorrow. I do have several video tapes of T&D though, including a rare 1990 seminar they gave in Sun Valley on everything from choreography to compulsory dances. My other faves are the BBC's Path to Perfection which was made to promote them before the 1984 Olympics. Finally I have a very interesting video of theirs with the 1991 Russian All Stars show.

When I skated, I was always best when it came to figures. To this day, I can stand on the ground with my skates on and feel my edges. I've actually done a double toe loop in the parking lot with my blade guards on!

When they open the new rink up here (in about two years) my plans are to go into Ice Dancing. I've already pulled out Carlo Fassi's book as it has a great section on the many turns needed in figures (and ice dancing).
shockozulu is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to shockozulu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
Thread Starter
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Well the night went well. I gave away my drink tickets as soon as I got them and then sipped water the rest of the night. A few people asked me about it and I just said I wasn't drinking and left it at that.

I was a fun night though. They issued annual awards for our region and I must say, my store kicked some a$$!! We had Sales person of the year, Sales Manager of the year, Store manager of the year, 2 out of the 4 "directors club" (an over all performance award), as well as Branch of the year, which earned us a weekend in a fly 7 bedroom oceanfront beach house with the senior management cooking us anything we want for dinner on Friday night!! Everyone was partying pretty hard, but I stuck to my guns and it all went well. I think the weekend at the beach house could be challenging though. Got another month and a half to figure that one out!! Anyway, thanks for all the support. Take care.
So glad to hear how well you did. Congrats on your store winning so many awards. From what I've read in the past, you have earned them!

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
wow alley..i'll have to try and catch that....

i see alot of parallels between ice dancing and real life
You just may have something there. I remember ice dancers that told me when they had serious problems, they'd hit the rink. Something about the dancing would help them get in the right frame of mind and think things out and work out their problems, whether it was issues at work or a marital fight.

Well, off to rest again here, my infection traveled back to the original ear now, so I've got both ears infected.
shockozulu is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shockozulu For This Useful Post:
Lenina (03-15-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better
 
tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Beautiful Inner Banks of NC
Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 8
Originally Posted by Alera View Post
I so wish that I could see that show. ITV won't let me see it online here in the US, but I'll try to find another place to see it tomorrow. I do have several video tapes of T&D though, including a rare 1990 seminar they gave in Sun Valley on everything from choreography to compulsory dances. My other faves are the BBC's Path to Perfection which was made to promote them before the 1984 Olympics. Finally I have a very interesting video of theirs with the 1991 Russian All Stars show.

When I skated, I was always best when it came to figures. To this day, I can stand on the ground with my skates on and feel my edges. I've actually done a double toe loop in the parking lot with my blade guards on!

When they open the new rink up here (in about two years) my plans are to go into Ice Dancing. I've already pulled out Carlo Fassi's book as it has a great section on the many turns needed in figures (and ice dancing).
You can view clips and current episodes at Dancing on Ice 2010 ? ITV if you want to. It is also available on DVD. Thanks for the kind words as well. Take care.
tyler is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
Thread Starter
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by tyler View Post
You can view clips and current episodes at Dancing on Ice 2010 ? ITV if you want to. It is also available on DVD. Thanks for the kind words as well. Take care.
Strange, that website won't let me view it here, says I'm not in the correct location. I'll have to find it somewhere else or rent the DVD's. I'm determined to see this series if I have to kill myself with my toepicks.
shockozulu is offline  
Old 03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 26,407
Blog Entries: 1
ALERA!!!!!

Do NOT kill yourself with toothpicks!!!!

Who knows what kind of mod they would asign us!!!!


Ananda is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ananda For This Useful Post:
shockozulu (03-14-2010)
Old 03-14-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
Thread Starter
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
No Toothpicks for me, just toepicks. The little sharp guys on the front of the blade here in this picture...that are so strong they can grab into the ice to pull off the force and rotation for a trip toe loop...yeah, those toe ticks.

I choose my weapons with care *grin*


shockozulu is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to shockozulu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Never settle.
 
gneiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Under immense pressure
Posts: 1,505
I just had flashbacks to watching The Cutting Edge. "Toepick!"

Been lurking for a while. It's actually been good for me to take a break. Basically because I was here every day it kept drugs at the front of my mind. I found my old coke dealer's phone number a couple days ago and I didn't think anything of it; I'm over it, I have no interest. But I know this guy who has basically been begging me for it for weeks and he called and I basically got tired of it and gave it to him. What a mistake that was, he's been coked out for a couple days now. Another friend basically told me I signed his death certificate by doing that; I know he's right, at least a little bit, otherwise it wouldn't bother me. But there's a big part of my brain that kinda shrugs it off. He has two or three meth connections, he's convinced about 3 or 4 doctors to prescribe Lortab for him (his DOC), his cousins have so many drugs available to share it's just silly. Having one more phone number isn't exactly a crisis, and he makes his own choices to use or not just like the rest of us. I cared so much more about what he was doing while I was using, now I don't really care anymore. I guess I've finally given up on him.
gneiss is offline  
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better
 
tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Beautiful Inner Banks of NC
Posts: 1,702
Blog Entries: 8
Feeling a bit low this evening. I've been reading some old email coraspondence between my and my wife (now ex). It was from over 6 years ago. We were seperated but not divorced yet. I'd probably be better off if I didn't read this stuff, but sometimes I'm just compelled.

When I read the words I wrote, I can't even believe it was me who wrote them. I was such an a$$. The only, and I truly mean only, thing she ever asked of me, was for me to quit smoking pot. That's it. I just wouldn't do it. WTF!!! I threw away a 15 year relationship so I could keep smoking pot. Why! Why! Why! I know....because I'm an addict. That's just not good enough. When I finally walked away, it wasn't that hard, certainly not hard enough to give up what I gave up. I just don't understand. Sigh....
tyler is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tyler For This Useful Post:
Bamboozle (03-16-2010)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 AM.