Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Tyler, thanks for sharing that wonderful experience about being at the school when they received the money. I almost cried at your story. It meant so much to me that YOU were able to go.

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Good to see you around again Husky, keep working at it!!

As far as the skating goes, I think they have very specific critera they have to use for judging. This is due to a scandal bribing judges a few years back I believe. There is very little room anymore for personal interpertation, and that is kinda a shame. If they want to judge it like this, they could just as easily use a computer or something. Wish there was a better solution.
DON'T GET ME GOING ON THE NEW SCORING SYSTEM

Can you tell I hate it yet?

As flawed as it was, the old one was much better. Yes, it takes a lot of the bias out of the scoring and guarantees there isn't a tie (which was the problem in pairs at Salt Lake City) but it also takes the heart out of the skating as well. Many skaters in the '80s and '90s would have scored much lower under the new system (including Paul Wylie (US - Silver), Torvell and Dean (GBR-Gold), Wilson and McCall (CAN - Bronze) and Brian Orser (CAN-Silver) to name but four. These skaters had grace and performed nearly flawlessly. They would have scored much lower with the current system though as their strength was in grace instead of simply landing the most triples and spins. T&D did receive 6.0's in 1984, however there is no doubt if they didn't have that grace their scores would have been lower.

Especially with the Instant Replay to make sure a skater has landed a jump without more than a quarter of a revolution missing and my frustration mounts.