Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part VII

Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Just checking in. Still sober. 324 days.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Bam,

I'm so glad you're back! You've been missed!

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Administrator

! hi Bam

D
Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Bam, I was about to post a thread asking if anyone had heard from you. I'm glad to see you here. And good job on staying sober.

My weekend plans fell through. Was going to visit a (clean and sober) friend I haven't seen in a while. Gahrrr... at least I get some time in at work, right? Yay, I'm so excited to work instead of having fun with my friend. It's the second time in a row our plans have not worked out. Maybe next weekend. Maybe I should go jogging tomorrow. I've been riding the couch a lot lately.

Somehow I got out of doing those things-- jogging, biking, walking, reading, homework, whatever-- that kept me sober. Better get back to them!

Ice dancing? I'm not saying it's not athletic, but why is it in the Olympics? It's like trampoline jumping in the summer Olympics. Why?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

yeah it's wierd how we get about the olympics...i mean sht..if you are 10th place in the world...isn't that awsome??? I mean doesn't that mean that you were in that moment the 10th best out of the best of the best of the whole world???? WOW how can that be thought of as failure ???

I use to show horses....I had a blast...win loose or disqualified....I loved showing, my horses enjoyed showing at least when i showed them...It was awsome.

My favorite skater of all time was, i believe from canada, but maybe from the US. Don't remember his name, but he was in the olympics. He never had a planned program short or long...he just winged it....free freestyle all the way. He would go out and just zip through the required elements with no regard to the music...took a minite tops, then he skated and flowed creatively to the music....it was briliant....perfection....the best of the best....

Course he never got a medal, but.....that man touched me with his skating as no one else ever has....his courage and wilingness to live by his principles regarding what skating should be....even at the cost of a gold metal he probably could have won if he had abandoned what for him were principles....

If I can bring what he had to my own life....I would be contented....He inspires me to this day
Old 02-20-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I ((heart)) hot curling babes.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Never settle.

The men's curling team aren't bad looking, for sure. So I guess I also ((heart)) hot curling babes.

I'm trying to psych myself up for work tomorrow. Starting to think I need a new job. Hey, I have an idea! Maybe I should graduate! Then I could have a real job.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I graduated. I don't have a real job. But I went to school for art, not the sciences.

I love science...but I suck at math.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

means nothing bam...I'm an accountant with 20 years expereince, and i just failed the math section on an employment test

math is not my forte
Old 02-21-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I'm an accountant with 20 years expereince, and i just failed the math section on an employment test
I'm an accountant with 34 years experience with a part-time tax accounting practice right now. Passed my CPA exam in CA & got reciprocity in OR when we moved in 2001. So now I pretty much only work during tax season (NOW) but that works for me. Luckily my husband is retired military and gets a military pension!

How on earth did you fail the math section of an employment test? I know!! They didn't allow calculators! I can't do anything anymore without a calculator!

Good luck to you in the future!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

ooops.....

i forgot..it was filing that i flunked.....order of the alphabet and date order....somehow i think that is even worse

Sorry Bam...your on your own :P
Old 02-21-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Never settle.

LOL I suck at math, too. I do paleontology, the only math I need is to add up the number of fossilized critters I see. Besides, I may not get a real job, but at least I'd have time for one if I weren't in school. LOL

Great day. Watched the USA-Canada hockey game and it was one of the best games I've seen in years (been watching since I was 11. Love me some hockey). And the USA won!! On to the Sweden-Finland in a couple hours. Suomi!!!! (That's Finland, to you. My great grandmother was a Finnish native and managed to teach me about 3 words of Finnish... that's a rough language to learn).

I took my first stab at making lasagna. I'm no cook (I'm learning though), but it came out really well. I even put the leftovers in the fridge, which is unusual because my cooking is usually not worth keeping. So now I have a 9x13 pan of lasagna with one piece taken out of it. I think I'll be eating lasagna for a while.

I had an exam Friday so I got to relax a little this weekend. I was exhausted, slept a lot. I'm glad my weekend plans fell through, I needed a day off.

Feeling good, back on track.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Urg. Had about 10 days, then slid into oblivion. Trying to make another go of this, and to convince myself this is something I can do on my own. I think it will help to really believe that, if I am to be successful.

On the positive side, my housemate gave me a few sewing lessons, which is good. I very much want to learn how, especially to make costumes. I'm going to make a Beast Boy costume based on the Teen Titans cartoon character once I feel I can...most likely from a four-way stretch PVC. Or possibly in latex, though this has to be glued as opposed to sewn, and is very tricky to work with. All I know is I wanna be Beast Boy for Halloween, and jump around and be all hyper and bratty, so I better start now :P

I'm also making an appointment to look at going back to get a masters in social work. I'd go part time, while working full time, as this way, the college I work at would pay tuition...no other way to really afford going back. It might take longer, but eventually, I'll be able to switch gears.

I watched the men’s figure skating in the Olympics, that was about it, I wanted to see Johnny Weir, who I thought was probably the most graceful skater I saw. I’m not sure how they score these things…I thought the guy from the US who won the gold was jerky in his motions, heavy-handed, and like a puppet. If I was a judge, I’d prolly look at the big picture, how well they work with the music, costume, gracefulness, even how cute they are, mix it up a bit. It was exciting to watch, though…I like the skating as it sometimes has a bit of humor, like dance/ballet, and the one thing about the Olympics that gets tiring is how serious they are. I’m too irreverent to take too much seriousness, even if they did train for 10,000 hours and blow their last chance and disappoint their country , yada, yada, yada. That, and I would gag the announcers so you can watch the events in peace without their inane comments.

Gneiss, glad to hear school is going so well. How long do you have left, and what are your post graduation plans? Maybe it’s too early to ask, but curious.

Bam, wow, almost a year. Oh, and can I join your not-so-good at math club? I was thrilled to see the social work program I’m looking at does not require the GRE…what a huge relief. I’m even worse at standardized tests than math. Essays, analysis, writing, literature fine…but multiple choice, true/false, no way!

Well here I am, new avatar, new direction.

H. Pup
Old 02-23-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
I watched the men’s figure skating in the Olympics, that was about it, I wanted to see Johnny Weir, who I thought was probably the most graceful skater I saw. I’m not sure how they score these things…I thought the guy from the US who won the gold was jerky in his motions, heavy-handed, and like a puppet. If I was a judge, I’d prolly look at the big picture, how well they work with the music, costume, gracefulness, even how cute they are, mix it up a bit. It was exciting to watch, though…I like the skating as it sometimes has a bit of humor, like dance/ballet, and the one thing about the Olympics that gets tiring is how serious they are. I’m too irreverent to take too much seriousness, even if they did train for 10,000 hours and blow their last chance and disappoint their country , yada, yada, yada. That, and I would gag the announcers so you can watch the events in peace without their inane comments.
Good to see you around again Husky, keep working at it!!

As far as the skating goes, I think they have very specific critera they have to use for judging. This is due to a scandal bribing judges a few years back I believe. There is very little room anymore for personal interpertation, and that is kinda a shame. If they want to judge it like this, they could just as easily use a computer or something. Wish there was a better solution.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Just wanted to share a cool thing I got to do today. The company I work for, US Cellular, has a program where every year they give away a $1,000,000 to local schools. It is split up by the 10 schools that get the most votes around the country, at least in the areas we service. They've been doing this for a couple of years now, and it is always amazing that 90% of the time the schools that win are small and often rural.

Anyway, the school that won today was BF Grady, located in a tiny town called Albertson, in rural eastern North Carolina. The company rounded up over 100 associates, some traveling well over 100 miles, many on their day off, to award this school the money. Nobody knew which school won, except for the principal, who was notified yesterday. They didn't even tell us until we were on the charter buses headed to the school.

The pricipal had called a "pep rally" alegedly to kick off the schools soccer season!! They got everyone in the gym and had their rally as we gathered just outide the gym doors waiting for the signal. We had hundereds of t-shirts and other stuff to toss to the crowd when we went in. When we got the go ahead, all 100 plus of us burst through the doors to thunderous applause and hundereds of screaming kids. They had been working toward this moment for months, hoping, dreaming, and it became reality.

The Lt. Govenor of NC was there as well as the local state representatives. Lifetime network sent a crew to shoot the whole thing from behind the scenes through the presentation to air on their morning show on March 6th, I believe. It was just an amazing experience to see the joy on all the kids faces, as well as the parents and teachers. The principal had promised that, if they won, they would divide the money with $10,000 going to each grade K-8th and the remaining 10 grand to the arts, music and PE programs of the school. The kids and teachers in each grade will be the one's deciding how the money will get spent.

I just can't describe just how cool this was. This was a very poor school and it meant so much to them. This is a company I have wanted to work for for a long time, partly because of things like today. My addiction held me back. I couldn't pass a drug test, quite frankly, I could'nt perform at the level the company requires, and I lacked the courage and confidence to even try. I'm clean 9 months now and I can't even begin to describe how much better my life is, in almost every way.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with my Secular peeps, ya'll rock!! Hope everyone had as good a day as I did!!! Take care.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

windy,

Interesting pic. From the drawing I guess Fire-breathing Dragon Turtle poop out their foot?

Must know this.

Love,

Lenina
Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post

I'm no skater or expert, but I wasn't too sure about the judging, either. I still think the judges are biased. I know that difficulty of the elements in the program gets more consideration than everything else, but how can those count for so much when the skater looks constipated?

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
I just can't describe just how cool this was. This was a very poor school and it meant so much to them. This is a company I have wanted to work for for a long time, partly because of things like today. My addiction held me back. I couldn't pass a drug test, quite frankly, I could'nt perform at the level the company requires, and I lacked the courage and confidence to even try. I'm clean 9 months now and I can't even begin to describe how much better my life is, in almost every way.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with my Secular peeps, ya'll rock!! Hope everyone had as good a day as I did!!! Take care.
I think you did a great job describing what happened. Thanks for the smile, Tyler. That's awesome.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

That is Gamera of Japanese B Movie fame !!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Oh. I never heard of Gamera. What's the deal with the colon-looking thing on his ankle? Does it contain poison or something?

Inquiring minds need to know....

Love,

Lenina