Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hi All
With everything cancelled (including work kind of) I find myself back in SR... haven't here for a while. Its good to see some old names... glad to see the chat room still working and usually has someone in there to chat with.
Take Care all
LSC1
Old 03-27-2020, 08:39 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hey how do I change my avtar I don't want to be a frog in a pot anymore and I can't remember.... I'm stoked I remembered my password
Old 03-27-2020, 08:45 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey LSC

You'll need to be in Desktop View:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...your-name.html
Old 03-27-2020, 09:53 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Thanks .... me riding the rapids while camping is my new avatar
Old 03-27-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 03-27-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I changed my avatar to Darkthrone. I bet a vast majority of people have no idea who that is.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:34 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hi guys...

Good to see everyone supportive of each other. It's a new world at the moment. Things are pretty calm in Vancouver...as far as I can see. I had surgery back in January and should have been going back to work in mid April, but...my physiotherapist is stuck in L.A. and my G.P. in Israel....so neither can sign me off to go back, I can't get signed off by the surgeon because their offices are emergency only right now.

Just been staying at home, usually I've stayed sober but I have had a night or two where I just didn't care anymore. I had an idea in my head the way things were going to play out and this virus threw a wrench in it...I suspect that happened to everyone else in the world too...

Just want to say I'm humbled by everyone's thoughts, and experiences that I've read on here the last few weeks....we will get through this
Old 03-28-2020, 12:08 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its good to hear from you Patterson.

I think more than ever now it's important to stay sober. Noone saw anything like this coming but I think we all have a responsibility to get through this and help each other through.

I know what it's like to say eff it I don't care anymore...but I'm not sure any of us really has that luxury anymore?

D
Old 03-28-2020, 12:17 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I haven't worked (I'm a respiratory nurse) for 18 months now, and have had such much needed time to devote to my recovery. I'm going to take steps to go and work in the large hospital in our county that is going to be devoted to Corona patients. I can't face working in my local hospital because I worked there for 20+ years and ended up being detoxed in there a few times, how embarrassing :-(. My family are concerned about this and worry that it will affect my sobriety, but I don't think I can live with myself if I don't help at this time in our history. I'm thinking one long shift a week initially and see how I do. I have to use my skills, my couch actually has a dent in it from my ever growing butt.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:39 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sayitbruh12 View Post
Hey everyone,

So today is my first day using this site. One of my counselor's referred me to a few different positive resources to keep me on track during this time. This whole epidemic is creating an even more internal struggle and challenge for myself this time in my recovering process. Not only do I daily battle the harsh temptations and obstacles of addiction but I'm also recovering from open heart surgery.
Welcome SR! It's good to have you with us. SR has really helped me a lot, I'm sure it will help you, too!
Old 03-28-2020, 02:38 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think its a marvelous thing you're doing Daisy - but as you know it'll be high stress - keep an eye on your own welfare too, ok?

D
Old 03-28-2020, 03:13 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

That's a wonderful thing to do Daisy. Please do be careful for your sobriety and your physical well being, too!
Welcome Sayitbruh. Your counselor sounds great. She or he was smart to send you here, it's a great place to be.
This would be a terrible time to be using alcohol for someone who has a problem with it. It always made me so anxious and depressed and sick. I never want to live like that again regardless of the circumstances, but right now it would be even worse.
I've been thinking a lot about how different life is now for all of us, but especially for the children. Very little contact with others except through the internet. My grandson's class has started doing weekly skype calls together. They are all six years old, so it's sweet and yet sad to see how excited they are to see each other. Yesterday was the first one, and they were all practically screaming, showing each other toys and all talking at once. Hopefully as they get use to it they will be able to allow one another to take turns talking.
I hope everyone has a great, sober day today. I'll be outdoors most of the day.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:53 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Tips for how to handle groceries and takeout food more safely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDu...AwLnpEnNG8Vfoo
Old 03-28-2020, 05:42 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I was looking for something light and feel-good with HORSES.
Just remembered! Unicorn Store is on Netflix! That's the one you're after.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Sorry about my rant yesterday. I was on a couple days of crappy sleep and I don't handle that well. Slept great last night so feel ready to take on the......quarantine. Haha.

Like Dee said, I have food, music, books, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. I'm going to dig my crafting supplies out of the garage too. I think I know where they are. I've dug a small windy path through my boxes (while searching for my thermometer) and have a pretty good lay of the land.

I'm loving this yoga app called Down Dog. I complained a lot a few months ago about my broken rib caper. I got really out of shape and weak (hurt the knee too). About 6 weeks ago I started the yoga and I'm soooo much stronger. I am a yoga instructor so its not like I don't know how great yoga is. But this app has really helped me. It's free right now too so anyone can check it out.

Heartland it is....11 seasons....even better. I have been watching The Mentalist on Amazon. Its goofy and light and silly but that's perfect. My daughter loves Gilmore Girls. I tried but its not my thing. I get irritated.

Ok so yoga, walk doggie, laundry, walk doggie, maybe vacuum the carpet that got put in too early and is getting beat up (steam out of ears), maybe clean resurfaced wood floors that got resurfaced too early (more steam). Walk doggie. Haha.

Have a great day and thank you for letting me vent.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I watched 3 episodes of Heartland. It's pretty soothing, if not predictable. Horses and the occasional view of the beautiful Canadian "outback." Little interpersonal dramas. Horses. That's the thing.

Yesterday the fire alarm went off in our condos. Sure. Why not. All the neighbors were outside - six feet apart - till the fire department got here and turned off the alarm. No fire. Well, that was good.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Glad to be part of this discussion...
I have done so much since being home with my family since the virus go out...
We even pulled out those "Old Board Games" that were tucked away for so long and started to challenge each other (3 of us in this house).

I even walked the dogs and let our Siamese cat out front door to walk in the sunshine.... she kinda takes her time if the sun is out and the dogs have the backyard......... the animals calm me down a bit.
But there are lots of bushes to trim in back at this point and Im slowly working on that and pulling weeds as well since it has rained in the last few days here in California.... good to have some rain... always smells good after the rain.

Being a Hospital worker in Central Supply/ and Surgical Tec. in Labor and Delivery .... I had retired in 2005 and not sure I can go back .... would be tough at this point...... I have had major back problems and muscle spasms... since 1986 and the Docs say it was all in my head ... I was a security guard at MPC while I went to college.... job was fun but I had to run with lots of stuff on my belt and keys , 2 radios...... kinda thru my back out and it had never been the same... this went on for years even when I worked in the Hospital in Monterey, Calif. and Santa Barbara, Calif.

But other than that I know I can't go back to help.......
I have had cancer 2xs over since 2013/2017 ..... so I am at risk for sure....

Was good to let out my history and let all of you know all this..... but I just can't go back to Cottage Hosp. in Calif. to pitch in..... I have been gone too long and that would not be right even though I should think about it....
Old 03-28-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

so meijer opened at 8 and my wife got there about 25 after. It was to late to get toilet paper. She saw people with it but none left on the shelf. We never bought a extra large supply and are just about out. I cant believe they are still selling out of it. In 25 minutes!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I keep getting adds in my Solitaire game that Charman and other brands are offering online sales and direct deliveries....I just now found some in stock on Amazon. I could send you some. s xx
Old 03-28-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Hi Mera, just checking in to see how you're doing. The stories coming out of Italy are beyond a nightmare. Hope you are doing well. Take care and stay healthy. John