Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 03-26-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Today while I was working from home one of my daughters made banana bread, and the other made homemade pasta. They would definitely not be delving into culinary skills on a regular Thursday.

I am trying to maintain some normalcy by getting outdoors for a long walk each afternoon. I spent all day today on Zoom conferences, and my eyes were tired from looking at the computer.

Tomorrow is my last day before spring break, although I will have some days that I have to work, then April 13th we are scheduled to open schools again, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

I hope everyone is healthy.

Dee, thanks for the beautiful start to this thread, and for keeping this on the main page.

❤️Delilah
Old 03-26-2020, 08:43 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Thank you for the poem sober369. ❤️

We need to be reminded of these things. I hope we never forget.

Stay safe.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:35 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I just cannot take it anymore. We had two days where the numbers went down but now they are going back up every day- each day more cases and more deaths than the last. It has now hit close, I know people who are sick, who are in the hospital and who have died.
It is all i think about and all I talk about all day long. I do my online English lessons and it is the ONLY thing people want to talk about. I am so tired of talking about it but I have to work.
the other day I even had a bit of a tense moment with a student who was saying racist and cruel things about China, blaming, describing their culture as dirty and disgusting. I just couldn't listen to this crap. They were going on about the market in Wuhan, "how repulsive!" I tried to diffuse the situation, I explained that here in Italy it is very common t eat horse meat, which a lot of other countries would find surprising and "disgusting" Who are we to judge what other cultures do/eat/etc. I finally had to end the conversation because it was just too nasty on their end. I will put up with a lot of things, but not racism.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Racism is the big suck for me too Mera with similar stuff going on here. Chinese neighbour vilified. Had to go outside and back her up. She said it didn't hurt her because she had "a strong heart." It hurt her.

It must be so hard for you Mera. We have not experienced it as has Italy (yet?) and pray that the bloody curve does a complete nosedive soon. Now!

Stay safe Mera.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:44 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Just for fun and for all of us struggling with exponential curves and statistics.

Tom Lehrer is an American mathematician and satirist. He's in his 90's now and I have always loved him. So, just for fun....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA
Old 03-27-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

That is awesome Steely. s xx

Feeling shattered for Australians this morning.....a very big retailer just closed all of their stores for a month and sent every employee home without pay....including the big wigs. They are trying to save the company.

Prying for everyone who is out of work in this.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Myers will be back Suze

and newstart is now jobseeker allowance (finally) at $550 a week - it's a step in the right direction.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:35 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Went out early, queued outside supermarket but only for 5 minutes and got everything I needed for another week at home. Such a relief, there was a decent amount of everything with the exception of baked beans / teabags and disinfectant type cleaners but food wise no problem at all. I was having a bit of a meltdown last night, the panic was setting in and I was close to imploding. A good nights sleep and being proactive this morning has released a lot of pressure and I am feeling calm and balanced again. x
Old 03-27-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Oh I am so glad you have groceries love!!! Yay. And I order Heinz Baked Beans (you can't get our normal ones in tomato sauce here) on Amazon. Not expensive at all. Just saying.

Thank you Dee....I was mostly wondering if all of those people will be able to go on Newstart, and I feel much better knowing it is happening properly and the money is much better. s xx

And goodnight. ❤️
Old 03-27-2020, 04:42 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad Manta.

I haven't been to the shops here in a week but I'm told it's moving back to normal in most things here where Iive - except maybe masks and gloves and sanitiser etc

D
Old 03-27-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Just in, breaking news....Boris Johnson has the virus.
And of course Prince Charles.

Lots of prayers. ❤️
Old 03-27-2020, 06:20 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm fortunate to live in a rural area where there are no confirmed cases, but then, they only started testing people last week. A lot of people were not social distancing until the state called shelter in place and threatened fines. I know people, though, mostly in the restaurant business, who are out of work and literally on the brink of starvation because agencies are so overwhelmed and working remotely that they can't get help or they do online applications and just wait...and wait... bills pile up, can't pay the rent. I'm in a relatively good position, working from home, not living hand to mouth... Worried about my sister, though. She was tested in another state over a week ago and still no results. Her health seems stable, though. Or so she says.

Whenever I find myself thinking in ways that bring me down or cause more anxiety or suffering, I try to reframe or see it another way. Though things seem extraordinary lately, the reality is that we've been living with the very real possibility of annihilation since WWII. (Since always, really.) Growing up during the Cold War era, I was convinced none of us would make it to the 21st Century. I think that actually fueled my substance use (among other things). Live today because tomorrow may not come. That was a common refrain back then. But as dark as this may seem, it has the potential of being liberating, as long as we also recognize that tomorrow, does indeed, keep coming... Live for today while planning for tomorrow.

I guess my point is whether it's a virus or threat of annihilation or family history of heart disease (people tend to drop dead in my family, seemingly healthy one day, gone the next)... these are all reminders to live in the moment, appreciate the moment, practice gratitude for what we have rather than focusing on what we don't, serve others rather than focusing solely on ourselves... Easier said than done but it does bring me a measure of peace to steer away from doom and gloom while not pretending life is all unicorns and rainbows. The Buddha taught that we all suffer, and that to reduce suffering we must practice right living, and part of that practice is meditation, and meditation is largely about letting go of wanting things to be different, letting go of future-focus that causes anxiety and fear of the unknown, letting go of the past where lie mistakes, regrets, grudges, and other downers. Someone once told me as long as you're breathing there is more right than wrong with you. I like that. It has helped me conquer a history of panic attacks, which I learned are also nothing to be afraid of.

So, if you're inclined, take pause for a moment, take a deep belly breath, exhale slowly, and say, "Right now, there is more right with me than wrong." See how that feels. If it helps, try it again in five minutes, or an hour, or maybe when you wake up or go to bed. Right now, because I'm breathing and can read and type on this laptop, there is more right with me than wrong...
Old 03-27-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Just love your post. SO much. Thank you. ❤️❤️
Old 03-27-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks for the beautiful poem Dee!

We had to enforce better social distancing at our store by taping the floor by the registers where customers have to wait while being rung up. Fortunately, most are happy we are taking such measures. Our store has been fully stocked with food for a while, but limiting the number of customers at a time means a lot is going to be given to our local food banks. At least it continues to help the less fortunate.

Stay safe and healthy all!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Me too. Thanks Zero.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that went well, MantaLady.

Mera, I'm sorry the numbers are so discouraging right now. And, I'm sad for all those who are affected by this virus. Reach deep and try to find the faith to get through today and move on.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi all! Thank you for the kind words (big heart venus and delilah!). And I forget who posted the clock breathing but it's awesome- thank you!

By the end of yesterday, thinking I was done for the day about 530, and the phone rang (again- seriously, I've had more literal phone speaking time this wk than I could have imagined since 1998) and the main link to our national daily zoom meeting "doesn't work." I wanted to throw my phone. And computer. But kinda in a funny way if that makes sense to y'all's alcoholic brains

I actually slept pretty well (for me, ugh!) and today is ok. I've laughed a lot already and have my exercise clothes on to go for a walk.

Indeed I am limiting what work I do today!!!!

And I have to thank you all for sharing the different things that are happening in your corners of the world - while a lot of them are crummy, it gives me a lot of both reassurance and compassion for all of us. I had to laugh at the tape marks in the grocery in particular. For God knows what reasons, we have had no paper goods in stores for days it seems, yet my husband and I seem to be using far less than normal. I did buy "cocktail napkins" the other day since there were no regular ones - it actually made me laugh thinking of my pre-serious-alcoholic days, post-divorce (so, around 30) when I "only had cocktail napkins at home, because why use real ones?"

Re schools....spring break seems surreal and I don't think April 24 is realistic either. Canceling proms is the big phone call my husband has this afternoon. In a 93K school system with some pretty large high schools, the idea of moving them is about as bad as the emotional idea of canceling. I think my step daughter is still hoping hers will be on but I'm skeptical....

Re not naming politicians, my one comment now is about how many people from the ground up (politicians or not) simply do not get how major the restaurant/hospitality world is in our lives and culture. And certainly not the economics behind the places they dine. I sure didn't til I got involved in it, and really not til Igot sober and stayed in it. The bail out (ugh, that wording) that we are waiting on here is beyond essential to save - or rebuild- even large restaurant groups. The huge corporations - so, for Americans, companies like Brinker that own places like Maggianos and Chilis or such, it's not the same - but the vast majority of places are small one or two place operations.

Anyway - today is good! We are here! I'm not being flip because I too know people who have the virus....but right now, at 11:10am EST, I'm grateful.

Especially for you all!!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

So far no SR members that we know of have it thankfully. Back around the end of feb we had a stomach thing go around the shop. Lots of people took a day off. One guy took off the week. I also had pretty bad "stomach discomfort" diarrhea, and gas. for 10 or 12 days. It was bad enough I texted my wife about it twice. I have read there are cases of covid that present as a gi issue. I cant help but wonder if thats what it was. My wife and 10 year old daughter had it as well. Although for the people I talked to all said it was a one day thing. Mine lasted over 10 days.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Apparently there'll be tests soon that can tell if you've had it. Good grief Italy are really suffering, 919 deaths in a day It has to decrease sharply soon, surely.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I just cannot take it anymore. We had two days where the numbers went down but now they are going back up every day- each day more cases and more deaths than the last. It has now hit close, I know people who are sick, who are in the hospital and who have died.
It is all i think about and all I talk about all day long. I do my online English lessons and it is the ONLY thing people want to talk about. I am so tired of talking about it but I have to work.
the other day I even had a bit of a tense moment with a student who was saying racist and cruel things about China, blaming, describing their culture as dirty and disgusting. I just couldn't listen to this crap. They were going on about the market in Wuhan, "how repulsive!" I tried to diffuse the situation, I explained that here in Italy it is very common t eat horse meat, which a lot of other countries would find surprising and "disgusting" Who are we to judge what other cultures do/eat/etc. I finally had to end the conversation because it was just too nasty on their end. I will put up with a lot of things, but not racism.
As someone with a science background, I can give you ammunition to use against these people that has nothing to do with morals or ethics. Many "plagues" are zoonotic illness - including Swine Flu, Avian Flu, Anthrax, HIV, and Ebola. These all came from eating animals or having close contact with domesticated animals. There is no one culture guilty of this. There was a massive outbreak of Anthrax in England in the early 2000s and Swine Flu (H1N1) was just ten years ago. Older plagues like Leprosy and Bubonic Plague are also zoonotic in origin.