Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 04-05-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
I also find it very odd that home renovation workers are made to be active in this situation. I would seriously question the integrity (and more) of a person who hired and still allows them...

Welp maybe I'm a horrible person and lack integrity. I do feel bad. But here's the deal in my situation: Work started 2/4 long before any of us saw this coming the way it is. We weren't talking about it yet. My entire first floor is gone. Its the same guys everyday that I have already had contact with. I have kept quite a distance for the last 3 weeks. I absolutely did not insist work continue. My exact words were I would completely respect if the workers wanted to stop all work until 'this' passes. Which will be a long time. They wanted to work because without work they go hungry. We stay away from each other, separated by a second level.

So there it is. I lack integrity.
I am sorry entropy, I didn't know anything about the context when I said that and I actually assumed that your landlord or someone else had the workers there, putting someone else at risk. It is very different if it's your own decision and the workers' and no one else is involved without consent. Thanks for clarifying and apologies again. I live in NYC and what you said makes sense completely - it is a very complex situation indeed.

The people that make me angry are those who really have no complex reason to limit going out and interacting with others, like those who go to the stores or other business daily without any essential need, people who organize secret parties, or ones that just still don't want to change their lifestyle.

I keep getting emails from one of my cousins who live in Florida. His first email about this situation was really reckless and irresponsible, he said things like the distancing is a hype for this crappy and weak virus. It took me a lot not to send a rather unpolite response to him but I managed to express my view tempered and without blaming him. A couple days ago he sent another email, saying that now he stays home mostly but still goes out daily to shop and to run, because... oh well, he just can't stand being locked in. He was asking "people in NYC really don't go out to the streets?" I have not responded to that one and won't because I really don't have anything nice to say, I don't care that it comes from a relative.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  

Entropy I don't think you need to apologize. It's just bad timing. I put myself through college (in part, I've done 100 things to make ends meet) as an uninsured handyman\contruction dude. We are all in this together.

Luckily, I still have some N95 masks left over from my construction days. For some reason I'd feel a litle silly wearing them in public, but I will from here on.

Take care one and all.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
Thanks Venus. I appreciate the understanding. Believe me, I do feel like a POS. But there are multiple angles to this particular situation. There is the fact that most of my house isn't functional, which is very challenging for my daughter and me. There is the fact that the guys will literally not be able to pay rent and buy food without work. I believe that 'unemployment' is different for gig workers. They can't schedule new work so they really want to finish the ongoing jobs. Which I think in their case is my job and 1 other. Then they are done until 'this' is over, or flattened, or whatever. There is far less 'exposure' going on here than there is going to the market.

The big however is that during February we just weren't as concerned about distancing. Maybe we should have been. I was somewhat concerned...in that I kept distance ( I mean, I'm not going to be sitting around downstairs in a construction zone anyway) and I sanitized. But one of them is sick, he has been tested, he is quarantined and is recovering. But we don't know the results yet. I have been quarantining too. Won't shop or anything like that until I know the results...and /or until I have to. Well I mean, I simply won't if it's a positive result. I haven't seen this worker for at least 3 weeks. But of course the other 3 have.

Oh my that's a lot of rationalization isn't it? But I do appreciate at least some compassion for a tough judgment call. I hope he is negative. But either way, I have been vigilant about social distancing since mid February. Long before my state set any parameters. BLAHHHHH. I want my house back.
Gig workers are entitled to the new federal unemployment thingy. The 600 a week. in MI they are entitled to get state unemployment also, now. I am in the same boat. I lost my job a few weeks ago. I dont get paid unless I work. Holidays included. I will lose my insurance soon if not already. Luckily they included the 600 federal emergency money or I would really be hurting. With that money I will be making about 85% of what I would normally for a 40 hr week. We were working overtime though. ofcourse I wont be paying into my pension and stuff either. Hope it ends soon. I would not feel to bad about the construction. Its an unfortunat situation. I believe the other poster was saying it was wrong for their employer to be making them work. I know I was torn about working still. I did not want to lose my job but felt bad/scared going in everyday. I am glad my state made a mandatory stay at home order. Made the choice real easy. We had to close.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  

I’m very sorry for everyone in our SR community who are stressed and hurting so badly,

My wife and I are looking after others as best we can.

But, to complain a little, I really miss my AA meetings.

I’ll have to learn how to get on Zoom and participate.

Love to all of you.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  
p***enger

This is a repeat of a post I just made to another COVID thread. I don't know if anyone else on SR has already posted these links, but they might help some.

****Warning -- don't follow if you find data creepy. I happen to find it soothing.

NYC has upgraded its data resources over the last couple of days, including raw data on GitHub: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

CDC has more broad stroke data for the US with links to each state's website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

WHO updates international situation reports daily: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...uation-reports

And the Pan American Health Organization just released a database with really interesting guidance/research documents: https://covid19-evidence.paho.org/
Old 04-05-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Thanks, I do like to look at the numbers. For what its worth.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  

I do too. s ❤️
Old 04-05-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
But, to complain a little, I really miss my AA meetings.

I’ll have to learn how to get on Zoom and participate.
Yeah I miss them too and have yet to get involved with the whole Zoom thing; I'm not really a tech kind of guy but I might try and give it a go at some point.

This was similarly reported earlier today over at BBC News: the dude's only been in recovery like four months ('Coronavirus: Dealing with addiction while in lockdown').

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52139895
Old 04-05-2020, 03:28 PM
  # 509 (permalink)  
Administrator

Part 3 starts here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-3-a.html (Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 3)

D