Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 04-02-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Wishing you the best Mera.

You got this!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

This is good to see - Times Square in NYC. I don't even know what's going on in my neighborhood (last weekend it was still far too busy), but great that people finally take this seriously. It will definitely make a difference.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...s/coronavirus/

NYC is heavily stricken but is also making huge strides in dealing with the situation. I have many colleagues who are physicians and physician assistants, not all of them work on the frontlines but some do and they loop me in about what's going on every now and then. The motivation and tireless efforts they make is truly amazing and often kinda superhuman! In a way, it is fascinating to see what a crisis like this can do to the human spirit and community - I truly hope it will last at least on some level beyond COVID as well.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post

On a funny note, I have heard that the projected birth rate in 9-12 mo is likely to be lower than normal for some kind of major event as all of the home-bound stuff can lower romantic interest bc we are always together
This is funny because I have been hearing the exact opposite. Hmmm. Maybe it depends on what channel you watch. Or what "study" they are referring to.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
This is good to see - Times Square in NYC. I don't even know what's going on in my neighborhood (last weekend it was still far too busy), but great that people finally take this seriously. It will definitely make a difference.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...s/coronavirus/

NYC is heavily stricken but is also making huge strides in dealing with the situation. I have many colleagues who are physicians and physician assistants, not all of them work on the frontlines but some do and they loop me in about what's going on every now and then. The motivation and tireless efforts they make is truly amazing and often kinda superhuman! In a way, it is fascinating to see what a crisis like this can do to the human spirit and community - I truly hope it will last at least on some level beyond COVID as well.
Yea, my news in detroit shows time square everyday in the morning. It has been dead for awhile. Just like all over. I was on earth cam and it shows south beach, vegas, etc... They have cams all over popular tourist spots and they are all dead. Seeing Vegas dead was even more shocking to me then time square.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.”
― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
Old 04-02-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Surely you are being facetious here?
"Not only that tap but we are saving the economy trillions by saving millions of people who would not be around to spend or make money."
Not at all. I read it in a essay written by an economist. More importantly, it makes perfect sense to me. The more people in the world the more money is spent. If we were to lose millions of people more that would be that much less in the economy. It would be like permanently laying off millions of people. Only worse.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
nez

Money is like energy.
“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”
― Einstein
Money will always be around. It can change form. It can change hands. The number of hands it is in can change; but it will still be around.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Taplow, you remind me very much of my son, who will say anything to raise people's hairs. The worse the better.
Thankyou very much, I take that as a compliment. Your son seems quite a rare individual.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

We're succeeding in flattening the curve here in Norway, and people are starting to relax. I fear it is too soon, we need to continue this way at least a few more months.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I feel a pm and an ignore coming on.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

On a funny note, I have heard that the projected birth rate in 9-12 mo is likely to be lower than normal for some kind of major event as all of the home-bound stuff can lower romantic interest bc we are always together
What I bolded would be guaranteed for me for sure if I had a domestic partner. But maybe people get into new explorations not so much driven by romantic feelings but to relieve boredom And perhaps run out of birth control tools...
Old 04-02-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
I feel a pm and an ignore coming on.
What do you mean?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Baby making is great for boredom.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Abraham- see, I said that to my husband and he was the one who had heard what I shared earlier! I guess we will see....there were a lot of year-after-9/11 babies...

And Aellyce- too funny. I think we're about where things normally are...

As far as the spending money....I'm thinking way more about what people are losing. 7M+ jobs in the restaurant industry. All the people with hours cut at places still open. Small biz that may or may not reopen....the US has a budget issue, to put it mildly, so extremes of spending including a trillion+ bailout is a prob even when absolutely necessary.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

My heart bleeds for the US. So many people losing their jobs, with no security net to catch them.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I'm a bit worried about the UKs economy, given that it's mostly service sector jobs here. Even when this ends, it'll take a lot to get people spending again. No one's going to feel safe eating out and shopping for a good while.

I wonder if this will hasten us to a universal basic income too?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

And as you stand amid the debris you'll wonder "was it really all worth it?"
Old 04-02-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Abraham- see, I said that to my husband and he was the one who had heard what I shared earlier! I guess we will see....there were a lot of year-after-9/11 babies...

And Aellyce- too funny. I think we're about where things normally are...

As far as the spending money....I'm thinking way more about what people are losing. 7M+ jobs in the restaurant industry. All the people with hours cut at places still open. Small biz that may or may not reopen....the US has a budget issue, to put it mildly, so extremes of spending including a trillion+ bailout is a prob even when absolutely necessary.
Same here. I already lost my job. I understand the bailout will give us little with the country losing alot. I try my best to stay informed to the daily news and the state of our union(and its budget issue, and how extremes of spending are not good). I was responding to a specific post(not by you) when I was talking about how saving lives will help the economy.
One good thing about not being at work today though is that it is finally a nice day out and I can get out and do some work in my yard. Although I need mulch and fert. Guess I'll have to pass on those things this year. I do have some big compost piles.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Our system has been terribly broken for so long. This crisis is really showing us what we didn’t want to look at.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mera, I'm sorry you decided to drink. I could see it coming, too, but I hoped that you would be able get through it. I'm glad you're back and safe.