Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 03-28-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

My guilty secret: My daughter-in-law's mother (what is that called, anyway? Granny in law?) works at a grocery and twice she has brought us things that are nearly impossible to find around here, such as sanitizing wipes and toilet paper. Not a lot, but some. I do feel kind of bad about it, especially the sanitizing wipes because hospitals need them so bad.
I just think it's odd that all the things we really need to not get infected are gone. I don't mean toilet paper, but masks, gowns, sanitizers. I have never liked conspiracy theories, they remind me too much of my dear son who suffers from bipolar and has delusions when he has serious manic phases. But, it does seem really odd.
I'm cleaning out my garage and dreading Monday. Trying to stay present and in the moment. Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof says the bible, and it's so true.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:18 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We always have a three-month supply of toilet paper, and have a well-stocked pantry and freezers through which the food is constantly rotated. But I was a little embarrassed the other day at the supermarket--we usually special order seven cases of seltzer, but they told us they were discontinuing special orders and would we like eleven cases? Hey, at least it wasn't wine! It would be just a nightmare to be trying to keep drinking through this!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I also have a very solid pantry, plenty of TP as we live in the country, but not as good at rotating. So I've begun a mission to eat my way through the chest freezer(s) and canned goods and see how long I can "last" without a supermarket trip. It was nice to not have to worry about "stocking up" when all this came. I realize how fortunate we are to be able to afford to shop ahead when many cannot afford to do so. Food security is a deep thing for human beings I think.

I'm a zero-carb / low carb person so I have lots of frozen or cryo-packed meat, canned fish, olive oil, coconut milk / curry / spices and a huge stash of Irish butter, which is my staple cooking fat mixed with olive oil. My only fresh needs are heavy cream and cabbage. I got about 6 cabbages when they were on sale around St. Patrick's day, which was not a premeditated "hoard" buy but more my Scottish cheapskate self taking advantage of a 29 cent-a-pound bargain for a veggie I love and that keeps well.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Compared to what others are going through, I have nothing to complain about. I live alone and have no friends or family in the area, so, except for shopping, I wont have any need to be around others. Schools are closed so I'm not working, but I only worked part time and mostly depend on social security and pension checks to pay my bills. The gym is closed so that takes care of that. I'm in my late 60's so my age is my only major concern. I don't have any health issues also. Because of all of this, I sometimes think about looking around in my community to see what I can do to help others, like delivering groceries but I'm probably better off just staying home. Feel a little guilty not helping others with so many people suffering big time. Even thought of knocking on the doors of people in my complex that are old to see if they need anything, but not sure if that's a good idea. I'm sure there are people where I live that are my age but in much tougher situations than me. Still might do it. John
Old 03-28-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I think it's a lovely idea John.....but instead of knocking, you could put notes under peoples' doors.....just checking on you and saying hi....maybe people will swap numbers and start a group text or something....maybe you could get people to join you in an online game. And maybe some groceries for anyone too fragile or afraid to go out. s xx
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I'm definitely going to be looking into having at least a couple of months food storage after this. It's never been easier nowadays with tins and freezers, but I bet most of us have next to no reserves.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:02 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeaceManic View Post
I'm definitely going to be looking into having at least a couple of months food storage after this. It's never been easier nowadays with tins and freezers, but I bet most of us have next to no reserves.
I live in an area that is prone to hurricanes and tropical storms, so luckily, I'm used to stocking up on stuff. Got enough TP, canned goods and water to last me a long time. Got enough food to last me at least a week. That's why I thought of helping others. Got all I need. Besides, being stuck in my apartment for the past two weeks; it would give me something to do. John
Old 03-28-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

John, I think the idea of seeing if you neighbors need help is really good.
Reaching out build us up almost more than the ones we help

Great job on being prepared and in good health!
Old 03-28-2020, 01:09 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Just sharing some humor to help lighten the mood. I hope it doesn't offend anyone, I find it funny.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I wouldn't go back to work if I had a bad back and was compromised in other ways sunpengwn. Stay home and enjoy the still. So beautifully quiet outside. Green. Birds. Soft rain. Sent to our room. Mother Nature can be a hard mother.

The university of Sydney did a modelling study which went to show that unless 70% of people practiced isolation, hand washing, etc., the curve would not fall. All theoretical but makes sense.

Wash our hands like surgeons about to go into open heart surgery.

Keep the faith.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

We can stand away, but we don't have to disconnect. Someone said that.

Who are those people in that video Beckoning? I thought it was going to be the original.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:29 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I loved it BC. Thanks so much for sharing it, I needed a laugh. I've always loved that music but hated the words, since it's about a grown man fooling around with a child. This is the best thing that could have happened to that song.
I've been isolating in my room or outdoors without anyone around. I got a lot done for someone who is supposed to be sick. I'm really bushed now, though. But my garage is beginning to look like a real garage now, not a landfill. When I got really into it, I realized I was going to need a bigger dumpster. I called a junk pickup company and scheduled for Monday.
Then, I told my kids I need them to put everything they are willing to throw away into a pile I'm making beside my house. That will keep the little fellas busy for a bit. It's actually still a real mess out there at the moment.
My youngest is coming to visit tonight, and I won't be able to hang out with them. That's really not a bad thing, though. I'm pretty sure they're going to have one of their rare drinking parties. I love that they have made the rule that anyone who drinks has to stay the night. Smart kiddos!
Going to watch the news, and then follow with an Eckhart Tolle video to stave off panic.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

So much love dear Karen and all of you. ❤️❤️❤️
Old 03-28-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I feel same Venus. ❤️
Old 03-28-2020, 04:56 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Old 03-28-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

This is a well-read thread.

21 people reading along right now.

Wash your hands. I mean, there's an audience!

So I stayed in all day today. It's not like there aren't always 97-11 projects I could be doing. I can't even on the numbers on the Johns Hopkins COVID map.

(The rest of this post is TV chatter) Heartland is reasonably good. Entropy, I liked Gilmore Girls when I watched it a few years ago, too. That one is more about witty dialog than anything else. I liked the characters. Venus, I couldn't get into Good Girls, tried it and nope. There was a great Australian ranch show a few years back, McLeod's Daughters that I really liked. I was still drinking so maybe it wasn't really that good but I wish Netflix would bring that one back. I also really like Jane the Virgin - hilariously clever, now and always.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi Bimini - thanks for the Heartland tip. A friend also recommended it so I'll check it out.
Hope everyone is staying safe & well.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I liked "Two Broke Girls", and an Australian one called "Houso's" about people living in Dept. of Housing accommodation in South western Sydney. Think AC/DC. Disadvantaged. Very funny. I live in Dept of Housing accommodation.

It's so very quite here. Even the voices of the neighbours have softened. On the flip side an increase in domestic violence.

Just trying to behave myself in all ways.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I have been watching The Office on Netflix. I had only watched a handful of shows before, and it definitely makes for a good distraction.

Today I went for a walk, went grocery shopping, did laundry and cooked, it felt like a semi normal day, except for the walk feeling isolated, and the tape marking the floor of the grocery store.

I am trying hard to stay positive, but as the numbers continue to rise so does my anxiety. Today I found myself thinking about the fall, and hoping that schools would be back to normal schedules. My oldest will be a senior next year, and I want to be able to watch her run cross country and track one more time in high school. I am sad she’s missing her junior track season. I know it is such a minor thing with everything else going on, but I love watching her out there. She will be running in college, but I won’t be there with her.

Okay, back to focusing on gratitude, I am very grateful for my sobriety, this forum, my family, and the fact that I have a home and job. I know I am very blessed.

Sending love to all of you.

❤️Delilah
Old 03-28-2020, 08:32 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Yes, the quiet. Sunday lonely, and the tape on the floor. Someone's got to paint that picture. In oil.

It's a loss to not be able to see your daughter's track events Delila. Let's hope she wins irrespective.