Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 03-27-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

The U.S. is now in the dubious position of having the most cases in any country at 97,000, and we've only been testing for a short period of time with any regularity - less than a month, and about 540,000 tests in total. We will far surpass China in number of reported cases - and they have 1.4 billion people to our 362 million.

It's not going to be pretty.

Please, please stay home unless absolutely necessary.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Old 03-27-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

OK so the United States now has more confirmed cases than either China or Italy. It's because people weren't practicing social distancing, shelter in place, or were being totally crazy and going on cruises or to beach parties during Spring Break. Just putting that out there. I know people here are distancing but really.

I have moved my rice cooker and crock pot into my bedroom and am now going to keep "dry goods" in my closet. I am really thankful I have such a big bedroom. These things won't eliminate my need to use the kitchen entirely, but my goal is to try to reduce my trips to the kitchen to once a day while no one else is there in the early morning, including washing dishes, getting fresh items from the fridge, collecting clean water to use for the day, and other meal prep. We have jumped from 2 to 12 confirmed cases in my rural county in less than a week. In another week it's going to be bad here unless something drastically changes. The state of California has an A for social distancing, but my county has a C. I think my roommates are doing better, but I have decided that I can't be too careful.

I also picked up antibiotics for a tooth where I lost a filling. I want to be in my best possible health, so in the case I do catch the virus, I don't have multiple infections or the "piggyback effect" that killed people a decade ago from Swine Flu. One of the primary things that killed people who were not elderly or immune-compromised was having a bacterial infection in combination with the virus.

The streets are looking pretty empty though, and I was careful to wear gloves and a scarf over my face inside the pharmacy. The cafe near my house that looked like a zombie Apocalypse scene a few days ago is now completely boarded up. People are finally sheltering in place, I think. People are starting to realize that multiplying that many cases, even if its under twenty, in a week is real bad. We only had one for a long time, but that person had traveled outside the US, quarantined and is already better. 2-12 are new cases, likely from domestic flights from LA or San Francisco. In fact 7 cases here are confirmed from a flight from LA.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
nez

Where I live there is "shelter in place" in effect. People are asked to only go out for essential needs. The first few days I thought it was all in my mind that even though there was less traffic on the roads the people that were out were driving way slow, probably like 10 mph under the speed limit when usually they are 10 mph over the speed limit.

With a couple of weeks under my belt being of out and about, I have now come to the conclusion that it is an actual phenomenon.

On way back up the hill today as I was reflecting upon it, I thought that since people are only coming out to take care of essential matters, they are no longer feeling the pressure of all the normal non-essential things that drive us to go-go like crazy.

We are thinking about things that are actually important and not distracted by all the frivolous things that pile up in our craniums. I look at it as a bright spot in these tenuous times and hope it continues, that people will slow down enough to be present in their lives. :~)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I think what some people talk about is the wet market in china. Like our fruit stands here in the us(which should probably stop) folks handle the fish and roasts, of beef and other animals then put it back. They poke and prod a piece of meat to see if they want it or not and lots of times put it back. then lick their finger to count money as they are buying things. They put their fish and stuff out on a table, not on a bed of lettuce and most importantly ice but just on a table outside right next to the road with tons of people walking by. The butchering gets done right there with the guts etc... just swept into the street or sewer. People have been calling for an end to these wet markets for a long time. I believe china themselves actually banned them after this outbreak. Probably not the best practice for apples, mellons, corn, etc... either. China is stuck between first world country and old school culture that alot of people still believe in and raise their kids with. Ancient medicine etc...
Old 03-27-2020, 12:51 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeckoningCat View Post
OK so the United States now has more confirmed cases than either China or Italy. It's because people weren't practicing social distancing, shelter in place, or were being totally crazy and going on cruises or to beach parties during Spring Break. Just putting that out there. I know people here are distancing but really.

I have moved my rice cooker and crock pot into my bedroom and am now going to keep "dry goods" in my closet. I am really thankful I have such a big bedroom. These things won't eliminate my need to use the kitchen entirely, but my goal is to try to reduce my trips to the kitchen to once a day while no one else is there in the early morning, including washing dishes, getting fresh items from the fridge, collecting clean water to use for the day, and other meal prep. We have jumped from 2 to 12 confirmed cases in my rural county in less than a week. In another week it's going to be bad here unless something drastically changes. The state of California has an A for social distancing, but my county has a C. I think my roommates are doing better, but I have decided that I can't be too careful.

I also picked up antibiotics for a tooth where I lost a filling. I want to be in my best possible health, so in the case I do catch the virus, I don't have multiple infections or the "piggyback effect" that killed people a decade ago from Swine Flu. One of the primary things that killed people who were not elderly or immune-compromised was having a bacterial infection in combination with the virus.

The streets are looking pretty empty though, and I was careful to wear gloves and a scarf over my face inside the pharmacy. The cafe near my house that looked like a zombie Apocalypse scene a few days ago is now completely boarded up. People are finally sheltering in place, I think. People are starting to realize that multiplying that many cases, even if its under twenty, in a week is real bad. We only had one for a long time, but that person had traveled outside the US, quarantined and is already better. 2-12 are new cases, likely from domestic flights from LA or San Francisco. In fact 7 cases here are confirmed from a flight from LA.
I am extremely grateful for your scientific knowledge dear BC.
And for all of the very very useful information you are sharing. s

Plus you made me feel better....I also had a bacterial infection (jaw/tooth) and I decided to take a course of antibiotics.

bim.....I don't think I can smile anymore today....those numbers are staggering. xxxxxxxx
Old 03-27-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

All this is just so heartbreaking and so scary.
You have great ideas, BC, thanks for sharing them.
I've been so torn over whether or not to leave my job. I've decided to do it, but now I'm feeling really sad and scared, too. I love my team at work, and I love my residents. Financial security and health insurance are really great, too.
I feel like such a heel leaving, but we are not allowed any group activities at all now. My team is cleaning and helping deliver meals to rooms. They are on total in-room quarantine now. I dread so much making that call to my boss.
On top of that I am sick. It's almost surely bronchitis and I'm on strong antibiotics so should be well very soon. But still, it's scary. I did get a test. Praying.
So much for trying to stay positive, right?
But really, I am feeling positive, too. I'm excited to have the time I've never had before in my life to spend time with my family, put some time into improving my spiritual and mental and physical health. I will have to go on a serious health improvement plan.
Staying sober is the most important thing any of us can do right now.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

They are staggering. I know we are all frustrated and bored. But good lord, stay home.

I have been encouraging my kid to stay at her dads because I only have 1 use-able room and a sort of use able bathroom. The rest of my house is STILL not complete.....whines. Point being, stay there. But he will NOT shop for her. He goes out and gets stuff he'll eat and nothing for her. Oh man I'm not even going to go into the details. I have plenty here but very little ability to prepare meals for more than 1 person. BLAH. Anyway, I took her shopping today for his house. Bought I hope a couple weeks of food. Now she needs to stay the hell home. God I'm so pissed off. Sorry. Minor stuff but I'm just blown away that shelter in place doesn't seem to mean, STOP. If bombs were falling we wouldn't be running to the store for some Pillsbury grands or a kombucha for gods sake. We have to look at this like an air raid.

Sorry. I'm frustrated and tired. I'm being selfish. So many are suffering and I'm just chilling be small minded. Such is my inability to deal with frustration.

I hope everyone is just staying the fluck home.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

It's OK love....gosh, you need to vent. s xx

My sister (in Aus) sent me this really funny poem and song this guy did on Youtube....the message is "stay the heck at home....." loudly and Aussie-style.
Funny but oh how I wish everyone could see it and realise we need to do this. s xx

Karen honey....please don't feel bad. I understand that you needed to leave the job right now. You must look after you here love. Really. s xx ❤️
Old 03-27-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

venuscat - I'm glad I've shared anything that can help. I usually don't like to take antibiotics because I am afraid of over-using them but I just called in today and the doctor sent them right to the pharmacy without seeing me in person (there was already a record of it from a previous visit on file). There's a time to take antibiotics and I think this is one of them.

sober369 - please take care of your health! It's okay if you quit your job in these circumstances though I can also understand that it's a hard call to make. I wish you all the best.

entropy - I am sorry to hear about this struggle you're having. Your child's father not buying food for her is completely unacceptable behavior. I do not think you are being small minded about that, or about asking people to shelter in place. Take care.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Here's a thing about all this. If you lived thru 9/11 in the US, this is a staggering, frightening and disorienting (if totally different) scenario. I can try to understand how people in other countries, or even Americans abroad, felt then, but it's not the same as it was being here.

I think I have to leave this thread alone after the comparisons and info and everything that all have been sharing.

Take care of yourselves, all.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Everyone is stressed flips. You are allowed to be worried about your kid and the bad timing of your kitchen remodel.

The Universe needs to check with us before it does this kind of stuff next time.

I made the mistake of watching Seth Meyers, who I usually love but all the late night hosts are doing their "shows" from their houses and it is so heavily political right now. So I won't do that again! The other day I tried Jimmy Fallon but same thing.

I need to stay off the UTube right now.

Surely there must be a fluff Netflix show about girls and horses?...I think I have a kids' show in my queue about that...not much safe to watch anywhere right now for me. Anyone know of anything like that?

Maybe it's back to more Star Trek. Very safe.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
I think what some people talk about is the wet market in china. Like our fruit stands here in the us(which should probably stop) folks handle the fish and roasts, of beef and other animals then put it back. They poke and prod a piece of meat to see if they want it or not and lots of times put it back. then lick their finger to count money as they are buying things. They put their fish and stuff out on a table, not on a bed of lettuce and most importantly ice but just on a table outside right next to the road with tons of people walking by. The butchering gets done right there with the guts etc... just swept into the street or sewer. People have been calling for an end to these wet markets for a long time. I believe china themselves actually banned them after this outbreak. Probably not the best practice for apples, mellons, corn, etc... either. China is stuck between first world country and old school culture that alot of people still believe in and raise their kids with. Ancient medicine etc...
Chinese wet markets are no worse than American factory farms. Factory farms are disgusting breeding grounds for disease, antibiotic resistance, and biomagnifiction is a problem with wildlife in polluted areas (fish, deer, bear) etc. This is actually what I am in grad school for. My undergrad is enviro sci, and my area of research is impact of diet and animal agriculture on environment and health.

The United States now has more cases of COVID-19 although we have a significantly smaller population. We also have the world's 2nd largest carbon footprint, even though we have less than half the population of China. Their rural natural medicine bothers you? The United States healthcare system also kills a lot of people or allows them to die without treatment.

While wet markets are a serious problem and should be outlawed, it's not scientifically true that fruits and vegetables at farmer's markets are equally risky, nor is it true that all Chinese people are backwards or dirty. Yes, the wet markets should be banned. So should things like shark fin trade there. However, China has a beautiful culture and Chinese people actually invented many things we use worldwide today.

When you don't inform yourself with facts, you just sound prejudiced.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:50 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Oh, not fluff but I have a great show for you....actually, as the TV queen, I have a mega-list, so perhaps you guys would like it?

bim honey, have you watched "Good Girls". Such a fantastic TV show.
Also "Mr Mercedes" (Stephen King)....very very good.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

OK....I am going to make a BIG 'tv shows and movies and fun authors to read list'. ❤️
Old 03-27-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeckoningCat View Post
Their rural natural medicine bothers you?
Not at all. I was just stating what they do. I never said they were backwards or dirty or anything close. The wet markets are dirty though. Please dont put words in my mouth.

" it's not scientifically true that fruits and vegetables at farmer's markets are equally risky, nor is it true that all Chinese people are backwards or dirty. "
I never said or thought any of these things. In fact I love the country of China. I have several friends who live there. I have defended that country and many others when I hear stupid remarks. I go out of my way to inform myself with the facts and was trying to share what I learned. I am not at all prejudice on the matter. I'm well aware of everything else you stated. The fact that wetmarkets should be, and now are, banned was my point. While I could not imagine that produce stands are anywhere near as dirty/bad as a wet market it is just my common sense that with many folks handling them it may not be a great idea.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
OK....I am going to make a BIG 'tv shows and movies and fun authors to read list'. ❤️
Well, I do have over 700 titles in my Netflix queue. Not like I have nothing to watch.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

he he.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

It's just been announced here for very limited travel outside of our homes now, to get food, medical stuff.

Can only travel 2km from home to take any exercise and only travel for essential work purposes. Will be in affect for at least 2 weeks.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey Bimini, The Good Place is really quite good on Netflix.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
Not at all. I was just stating what they do. I never said they were backwards or dirty or anything close. The wet markets are dirty though. Please dont put words in my mouth.

" it's not scientifically true that fruits and vegetables at farmer's markets are equally risky, nor is it true that all Chinese people are backwards or dirty. "
I never said or thought any of these things. In fact I love the country of China. I have several friends who live there. I have defended that country and many others when I hear stupid remarks. I go out of my way to inform myself with the facts and was trying to share what I learned. I am not at all prejudice on the matter. I'm well aware of everything else you stated. The fact that wetmarkets should be, and now are, banned was my point. While I could not imagine that produce stands are anywhere near as dirty/bad as a wet market it is just my common sense that with many folks handling them it may not be a great idea.
I think there's a terrible one-sided discussion, though, that you may not have meant to perpetuate. I apologize if I misunderstood your intent, but statements like saying Chinese people with their natural medicine are living in the 1st century (when we have religious people in our country who also can legally deny medical care for their children, or people who are not allowed to have healthcare because they are poor) came across to me as prejudiced. Especially since I, who believe in modern medicine like antibiotics, surgery, etc have used natural medicines myself to treat minor illnesses, because they do sometimes work for minor illnesses like colds, yeast infections, cuts, and things like diet and massage and spa treatments can be preventative medicine

Also I think people keep emphasizing how disgusting wet markets are (and I agree) but they ignore the truth of our own factory farms, which are sources of pandemics themselves. Swine Flu/H1N1 began at a hog farm in North Carolina.

Zoonotic illness is something humanity has to face without pointing fingers at the Chinese, the people who gave us paper, typeset print, fireworks, compasses, toilet paper, tea pots, incense, kites, gas lights, natural gas as a fossil fuel, tofu, dominoes, toothbrushes, rockets, and the freaking smallpox vaccine, as well as those things stereotypically Chinese like cute privacy screens, rice paddies, jasmine tea, woks, and stir fry cooking.

But yeah...factory farms. Germany just had an outbreak of bird flu H5N8 while this COVID-19 stuff has been going on.

Other animal sources of pandemics: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...e-think-about/

Zoonotic illnesses:
https://www.livescience.com/12951-10...influenza.html