Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 03-30-2020, 02:54 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Have to disagree while not condoning the use of weed it is something where I am just not getting much done vs alcohol and coke that was actively killing me. Not to mention not a big smoker had a half an ounce from august that i still had not gone through
You can do what you like and sincerely good luck to you.

There are members here tho who are trying to be clean and sober.

Few of us would post here about being able to drink moderately and not getting into trouble, or doing coke sparingly & calling that a success...to most of us weed is no different.

There's an entire sub forum here for those struggling with weed - we should respect those members - so it's a topic something kept to yourself in future I think NB

from our rule 2

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
All of this falls outside the topic of this thread - so I'll ask lets all move on now.

If anyone wants to argue with me please do me and everyone else the courtesy of a PM.

Thanks

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 03-30-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Coronavirus or not, I celebrated 1 month sober on the 28th.
I'll get my chip whenever we can go to meetings again lol

I hope everyone is well.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Chris

D
Old 03-30-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

on one month dear Chris!! s
Old 03-30-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!
Old 03-30-2020, 06:12 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Excellent Chris!
Old 03-30-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Great Job Chris!!
Old 03-30-2020, 07:29 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Great Job Chris!!!!

I had a great day trying to finish a Crocheted Blanket for my Daughter who now is just 20 yrs old this month....... Wow where does time go.....?
But not only that I have to put a tag on it and the other Quilt she got from a Nun that died last Sept. 11, 2019..... Where does time go....?
So I have lots of work to do and pass my time being shut in for the most part of the day......
Besides I can walk around my roses in front and play with two big dogs in back yard....... which the two dogs have started chewing on the fence boards I need to repair..... Oh well... more work to do for me......

this coronavirus makes me think about all the things I have in shed that need to be placed in My Mini Doll house that is two stories (country House).. I set it up for xmas and all the holidays.....

But I have bean bag frogs to fill and when those beans are gone I can't get anymore at the store...... but that is ok too... as there are so many things not in the stores these days like toilet paper and other paper products and more...

So I guess we have to learn to do without.... and try to do what we can...

Good luck everyone .... Staying home I guess is the new normal for now....
Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Coronavirus or not, I celebrated 1 month sober on the 28th.
I'll get my chip whenever we can go to meetings again lol

I hope everyone is well.
They wont mail you one? I am doing well but my 10 year old says she has a sore throat. She has not been out of the house in 2 weeks. She is all stuffed up and we spent the day outside so I am hoping its just alergies. Now my wife this morning says she has a sore throat. She has gone out shopping a few times. Me, I have not been out in a week since I got laid off last monday. I don not have severe underlying medical conditions but I do have high blood pressure and I weld all day when I work so I worry about my lungs being that I breath in weld smoke all day. I sure hope they just have allergies but I'm no sure allergies would involve a sore throat. I'm the one who never gets sick. Once went 4 years with no cold or anything but with no immunity to the new virus I worry. Though it would be nice to get it and hopefully be over it.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Praying it is a cold or something and not the virus love. s xx
Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here is a news item about a choir practice near here attended by 60 on March 10. 45 were sickened and two are dead. The last F2F AA meeting I attended was March 17.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...choir-outbreak
Old 03-30-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Yikes Coldfusion. That's so sad.

I find it amazing that the officials weren't just assuming it could be transmitted without symptoms here. That info had already been coming out of China weeks before. And I've always been told that we are MOST contagious a few days prior to symptoms for the more well known viruses. Am I on drugs here?

When Idaho announced it's first case, a lady who had just come back from NYC, they were all fist bumping (well not literally) and patting each other on the backs (figuratively) for how fabulously they handled the ONE case. Finally one of the knuckle head reporters (I say that because they kept asking the same stupid questions over and over. Listen people) asked if they had the manifest of all the people on the plane that she flew on. They said no, they didn't need it, because she was asymptomatic at the time. I'm like WHAT????

I mean, NOVEL means new. None of us are immuned like at all. That means duck and cover to me. I think the last time I went to the gym was 2/6 and then I said, no more.

Anyway, I'm just babbling. Corona is going to be with us for a while, like years. Hopefully we will take pandemic preparedness on a global level more seriously. Because experts have been predicting this. And actually predicting a much more severe one. I hope we are ready next time.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 month Chris.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:02 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

There is such a thing as cross-immunity, for example a few of the viruses known to cause the usually mild common cold are known Coronaviruses, which have some similarity to this new one. Then there were SARS and MERS, but those never spread very widely. There is always some probability that a certain level of cross-immunity could be acquired via old infections by other similar viruses but, as with most things with COVID-19, there is virtually no solid information on this. A similar phenomenon is when someone got the flu shot, still gets sick with the flu, but their symptoms may be much milder. I think I had a case like that last year when I was diagnosed with the flu based on a test. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but I never had much of the most characteristic symptoms such as intense body aches and high fever, I mostly had a horrible, persistent sore throat and cough that I never experienced in my life before. I was also taking prescription meds for it and perhaps that helped, but maybe the prior flu shot had also made it somewhat milder in some ways.

I have been having a sore throat for two days now, body aches and tiredness that kinda comes as goes... Yesterday also a pretty bad bout of diarrhea, sweating and a mild fever. I also had moments last night when my breathing was kinda weird, it is hard to describe how. This morning I was still quite lethargic but feel better now. I have been really anal about not going out in the last >2 weeks unless I must and doing all precautions to an obsessive level, but I live in NYC and an apartment building, so... I am trying not to think too much of it yet because I am also prone to health anxiety, hypochondria, placebo effects, and can sometimes really produce symptoms with those... We shall see.

This morning I had a virtual meeting with my work team and learned that one direct coworker was diagnosed with COVID-19 over the weekend (we work in one of the large hospital systems here and she is an essential employee, so could get tested), and the brother of another passed away two days ago. So it's getting very close and real. Very bizarre, I don't think I would say it hasn't sunk in for me yet but people getting sick and dying close is of course surreal and shocking. I am sure I'm not the only one wishing I would just get it now, have a relatively mild case, and be over with it. Well, that is if people do develop effective, lasting immunity for COVID-19, which still remains to be seen.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Well keep us posted. I hope I dont get my wife and kids sore throat. I'm in the burbs in se MI but I suppose the bug could have got inside via shopping. That is all we have done in two weeks but then again it could be the long incubation period also. OR they just have another bug or nothing at all. Still to early to say. I had a 10-12 day bout of diarrhea(lot of fun crawling around on the ground and in and out of stuff trying to build stuff in that situation. I really built up my butt muscles that week.. lol.) and bad stomach discomfort about a month ago that I was hoping was the covid. Perhaps not. My wife, kid and at least 4 other people at work had it also but they told me it was a one day thing.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I'm actually surprised we have so few sr members so far. Thank goodness but some were bound to roll in.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:02 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Well, it's just the beginning in the countries most SR members are from. I am so glad that my drinking is far past now - can't imagine the chaos dealing with that now, plus the extra anxiety that my health and immune system may be compromised due to drinking and the possible consequences, the shame around having to discuss all that with my doctors in case I need treatment for the virus, and making their work even more challenging having to deal with alcoholic complications. I really feel for everyone who struggles with addiction and relapse at this time!
Old 03-30-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm hoping people won't relapse over this Aellyce. Wonder if anyone is plotting the curve?

Health anxiety can be very persuasive, so don't buy into it is my best advice. Stay away from Dr Google the snake oil salesman, and monitor symptoms dispassionately. Health anxiety is usually irrational.

Putting on birdsong during the day has helped. You can listen to birds from all over the world. I reckon ours are best. Good evidence to suggest being in nature helps depression/anxiety. Bring the sounds of nature indoors.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Abraham, I hope you're family isn't sick, or you. I can see how that would be very frightening. I am getting over bronchitis and I did have to get a covid test, and there is a little part of me thinking how nice it would be to have it over with, since I'm clearly not dying, just not feeling well. I was really scared when I first got the fever and cough, though. I am hoping I'll have the test back tomorrow. But, no, I don't want to have it and I don't want to get it. I'm doing lots of self-care. It's all about boosting that immune system.
Alleyce, I hope you're all well, too.
Congratulations on one month, Chris!
Have a great night, everyone!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hoping your test comes back AOK Sober369.

Heard that resistance exercise helps the immune system, and also aids sleep.

Going to try catch some sun today.

Stay safe everyone.