Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 03-26-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sayitbruh -you've hit on a great resource

Manta and August and anyone else strugglig with the world as it is right now-I'm sorry. I hope this is a limited, finite time - I think we all do.

D
Old 03-26-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am luckier than many people in that I was raised in a pretty poor family that had to make do when times where tough. I know how to eat poor and live poor. It was a long time ago, but it's still in my DNA. I don't want to have to cut back on my current lifestyle, but I have the skills to do it if I have to. I feel more for the people that don't have these survival skills and are not used to going without that worries me. That is why the poor will survive this virus the best. They know what its like to have to do without when times are tough. They know what it's like to eat less or skip a meal. They are stronger and much more prepared to deal with this problem then most. Even without health insurance, they will do well. They are used to it. They have been through much worse. We as a society could learn so much from them. It's the upper middle class and semi-wealthy that are used to having things go their way that will suffer the most. Just trying your 13 year old kid that they have to stay home or even worse having to cut down on their phone usage or computer time to save money. That's the reality folks. Sucks but that's the way it is. John
Old 03-26-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

^ my parents grew up through two World Wars, and the Great Depression, and set a frugal, careful example for me for which I'm so grateful right now. Also that (I hope) I've passed that example on to my family.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to those of you who are having a hard time right now. Prayers and big cyber hugs to you all.
Nice to see you've put this thread here, Dee. I loved your first post, too. I was sent a beautiful poem by someone and I will try and post it here later.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Dee - thank you for the beautiful poem

SH - congrats on your 7 months!

August - I am sorry to hear about your meltdown. That's tough. Maybe you can do yoga at home with a video since you can't go to class, and take more long baths if you can't swim? I don't know, just a suggestion. I know from experience the anxiety over social distancing can be terrible, I went through it with roommate situations earlier in the week and it's finally smoothed over (I think) and all is well. What helped me was to take a break from anything that had to do with work responsibilities and focus on self-care. Maybe take a day just for you.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I am luckier than many people in that I was raised in a pretty poor family that had to make do when times where tough. I know how to eat poor and live poor. It was a long time ago, but it's still in my DNA. I don't want to have to cut back on my current lifestyle, but I have the skills to do it if I have to. I feel more for the people that don't have these survival skills and are not used to going without that worries me. That is why the poor will survive this virus the best. They know what its like to have to do without when times are tough. They know what it's like to eat less or skip a meal. They are stronger and much more prepared to deal with this problem then most. Even without health insurance, they will do well. They are used to it. They have been through much worse. We as a society could learn so much from them. It's the upper middle class and semi-wealthy that are used to having things go their way that will suffer the most. Just trying your 13 year old kid that they have to stay home or even worse having to cut down on their phone usage or computer time to save money. That's the reality folks. Sucks but that's the way it is. John
Hmm yes and no. I think some people who are used to constantly getting their way need to learn this lesson. I think it's high time, tbh. For example, two of my roommates are quite young (well one is gone now) and they're both in their early 20s. The female is still here, she has her immature moments, but for the most part she's self-reliant, pays bills on time, works, and doesn't whine about responsibilities. The male just moved out to go stay with his mommy and daddy in LA, the female (god bless her) packed his stuff up and moved it down to the garage for him, and I handled landlord things, and he still had the audacity to whine to me about how it was a "burden" for him to find a replacement. I don't think he's ever worked a day in his life, I don't think he even has student loans, and I don't think he had anything to do for the past two weeks except get to his parents house then start classes again today. I calmly but dismissively replied to him that the situation has been a burden for everyone in one way or another, to not feed into his manipulation by expressing anger or annoyance at him, but also letting him know I'm not buying into his ********. The knowledge that there are people my age and older with his attitude fills me with some schadenfreude that this is a good opportunity for them to learn to handle "burdens" and beans and rice like the rest of us.

I do feel sorry for the poor, the truly poor, because they have the least access to adequate housing, social distancing, and health care. I feel very blessed to be somewhere in the middle realistically, though I've had my bad days. .
Old 03-26-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Found it. I love this:

Lockdown
Yes there is fear.
Yes there is isolation.
Yes there is panic buying.
Yes there is sickness.
Yes there is even death.
But,
They say that in Wuhan after so many years of noise
You can hear the birds again.
They say that after just a few weeks of quiet
The sky is no longer thick with fumes
But blue and grey and clear.
They say that in the streets of Assisi
People are singing to each other
across the empty squares,
keeping their windows open
so that those who are alone
may hear the sounds of family around them.
They say that a hotel in the West of Ireland
Is offering free meals and delivery to the housebound.
Today a young woman I know
is busy spreading fliers with her number
through the neighbourhood
So that the elders may have someone to call on.
Today Churches, Synagogues, Mosques and Temples
are preparing to welcome
and shelter the homeless, the sick, the weary
All over the world people are slowing down and reflecting
All over the world people are looking at their neighbours in a new way
All over the world people are waking up to a new reality
To how big we really are.
To how little control we really have.
To what really matters.
To Love.
So we pray and we remember that
Yes there is fear.
But there does not have to be hate.
Yes there is isolation.
But there does not have to be loneliness.
Yes there is panic buying.
But there does not have to be meanness.
Yes there is sickness.
But there does not have to be disease of the soul
Yes there is even death.
But there can always be a rebirth of love.
Wake to the choices you make as to how to live now.
Today, breathe.
Listen, behind the factory noises of your panic
The birds are singing again
The sky is clearing,
Spring is coming,
And we are always encompassed by Love.
Open the windows of your soul
And though you may not be able
to touch across the empty square,
Sing.
Fr. Richard Hendrick, OFM
Old 03-26-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

hey guys.. came back from the cruise ship in december. what a terrible place that was to stay sober.

not working right now but i've got 31 days and in the last 101 days i've been clean off the weed and only drank twice so i'm feeling pretty good. i have a feeling this will be my year. especially when all this stuff blows over.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Just tried the last online supermarket and this one has a queue of 230k people waiting to be able to access the site to place an order, nearly 1/4 of a million people. Going to see what I can get in the morning from a shop and hopefully the wait to get in won’t be too long. x
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Congrats on your sober time R2C also!! x
Old 03-26-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Craziness. Hopefully face to face in the am will be better love. s xx ❤️
Old 03-26-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome readyt0change
D
Old 03-26-2020, 04:11 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Grocery delievery is hit or miss here. Have not looked alot but when we did there was nothing for a couple weeks. Found one today and got food. Then a few hrs later my wife was in the process of ordering for her mom and they put out a thing saying they were not taking any more orders for the day. We have been using the shipt ap for at least a year or more but now I guess everyone is. Still no paper products or chocolate ice cream.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I had my first meltdown today. I've been pretty even thru all this and my sweet husband taking over the second br as the "War Room" to work while my "office" is the kitchen island has been really cool.

This week, I have been working hours (HOURS) every day to get our restaurant industry group on a national plane with zoom meetings every day, Instagram accounts for every city (15- we had to postpone Boston of course, as it was supposed to start this wk) and on and on. Which has been awesome and I have been valued and valuable.

But. All I have done is be here and take short trips to the grocery down the st. I'm ok with that. But my GAD hit pretty hard on my step daughter's birthday and I just couldn't go to the planned brunch- and it was her 18th and so on. Today was the real meltdown, tho - my husband usually has bfast with her once a week and they are close, and he did go to see her that Sun - but I just can't do dinner tonight like we planned. He planned, really. I get that he wants to see her. But I know she has been spending time with her BF and his parents, I know her mom and bf see things very differently that me about [everything], that the bf has two teenage sons....get where I'm going about social distancing??

I broke down in tears and thank God my husband gets me. It's taken a couple years for him to really "get" what anxiety disorder is and of course she won't really get why I am not going to be there tonight. He's the only person I have been near other than the occasional grocery run at off times. My swim center and yoga place closed and I have been walking outside. But my husband is high up in one of our big public school systems (which btw GA gov just announced all will stay out of school til April 24) so he was exposed a couple weeks before anyone realized what this was going to be.

Itching all over (I get it on my hands when stressed so it has been out of control today), sobbing, a lot of honesty about what I can't handle...I needed to get it all out here!

I've done a lot of online mtgs like others but this really doesn't feel like an "AA topic" if that makes sense. We've even done Al Anon twice.

It's a couple hours later and after a bath and a lot of lotion and real clothes and a little food, I am calmer. A grounding exercise that I know helps is the 5-4-3-2-1 thing.

I'm starting to ramble so that's it for now. Take care everyone.
(Hugs)
Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Dangit, Dee.

Those are the first tears I've shed since this started.

Think I needed that song. Thank you, and thank you Paul.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Poor people will get hit the worst because they have so much contact with each other and limited access to health care. COVID-19 does not discriminate between those that have and those that do not. Most are not healthy anyway due to the lifestyle the live, including extremely poor nutrition.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

The corona-virus epidemic has made me a lot less tolerant of people. So many morons out there that don't have basic etiquette and have caused USA to now lead infections when we had plenty of prior warnings about the seriousness of this from what was going on in Europe. Mayor Blasio is going to get countless killed due to his stupidity and he can do nothing but sit there and grandstand like the moron he is. Makes me so angry what we are about to be hit by and there is nothing that can be done. On the other hand just completed day 11 and this crisis has made me determined to stay off alcohol and hard drugs
Old 03-26-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I had my first meltdown today. I've been pretty even thru all this and my sweet husband taking over the second br as the "War Room" to work while my "office" is the kitchen island has been really cool.

This week, I have been working hours (HOURS) every day to get our restaurant industry group on a national plane with zoom meetings every day, Instagram accounts for every city (15- we had to postpone Boston of course, as it was supposed to start this wk) and on and on. Which has been awesome and I have been valued and valuable.

But. All I have done is be here and take short trips to the grocery down the st. I'm ok with that. But my GAD hit pretty hard on my step daughter's birthday and I just couldn't go to the planned brunch- and it was her 18th and so on. Today was the real meltdown, tho - my husband usually has bfast with her once a week and they are close, and he did go to see her that Sun - but I just can't do dinner tonight like we planned. He planned, really. I get that he wants to see her. But I know she has been spending time with her BF and his parents, I know her mom and bf see things very differently that me about [everything], that the bf has two teenage sons....get where I'm going about social distancing??

I broke down in tears and thank God my husband gets me. It's taken a couple years for him to really "get" what anxiety disorder is and of course she won't really get why I am not going to be there tonight. He's the only person I have been near other than the occasional grocery run at off times. My swim center and yoga place closed and I have been walking outside. But my husband is high up in one of our big public school systems (which btw GA gov just announced all will stay out of school til April 24) so he was exposed a couple weeks before anyone realized what this was going to be.

Itching all over (I get it on my hands when stressed so it has been out of control today), sobbing, a lot of honesty about what I can't handle...I needed to get it all out here!

I've done a lot of online mtgs like others but this really doesn't feel like an "AA topic" if that makes sense. We've even done Al Anon twice.

It's a couple hours later and after a bath and a lot of lotion and real clothes and a little food, I am calmer. A grounding exercise that I know helps is the 5-4-3-2-1 thing.

I'm starting to ramble so that's it for now. Take care everyone.
I’m sorry you had such a stressful day August, but so glad your husband understands the anxiety, it is definitely not a good feeling.

I also work in a school district, I have been on Zoom meetings all week and working on contingency plans for after spring break. We are scheduled to reopen on April 13th, but I am not feeling very confident that will happen. We have been preparing to move to distance learning, and support teachers with the process. I also have three kids who are home and trying to adjust to this new normal, not easy.

My husband I saw a grocery store manager, so he’s been slammed the past few weeks, and I’m constantly reminding him to wash his hands and put dirty clothes right into the laundry.

I truly hope the social distancing starts to slow the virus, seeing the US jump to the top of the chart with number of cases today raised my anxiety some as well.

Sending love my friend.❤️
Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder folks - I know it's hard to speak about the virus without referencing particular politicians, but please try.

There's always going to be someone here who thinks the guy you just tore a new one is doing a great job.

D