Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 4

Old 07-25-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm reading backwards on the thread sitting at the lake. I keep saying I'm gonna set my phone down and enjoy the lake. I just love this site tho. I've been hanging around since about April.

CK - very heartfelt post My husband utters something similar but not as heart felt. It's very true what your friend says. You can't heal the broken unless they want to be healed and such.

Bucket list - love it! Sounds like fun too.

I'm back reading my book. These suspense/mystery novels are great ! My mother -in_law used to read Harlequin books until I gave her some suspense books. Now she is hooked. Some of the authors are prosecutors, doctors and such turned writers. This new author I found, Julian? Hoffman, is a prosector turned writer. Really good book. You get to see the inside of law. Michael Palmer, another recently found great author of mine is a doctor (treated doctors with addiction) turned author.

Books take my mind off drinking. Here's some great authors for suspense if you like law and medical stuff! Coben, Patterson, Cromwell, Scottoline, Deaver, Baldaccie, Roberts, Palmer, Hoffman and more. I love seeing the inside of law and medical.

Well, 4:30 pm and I'm sweating a bit. Gonna jump in the lake (and stay close to the shore , of course).

Olivia

When sweat hits my phone watch out! All kinds of letters pop up!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

And I don't want to forget Gay! You sound so much better! I'm happy for you! Keep on keepin on!

Olivia
Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

I was channel surfing earlier today and managed to run into this film called "Flight" with Denzel Washington. I remember hearing about the film a few years back thinking Hollywood was trying to cash in during the time that pilot flew that doomed airplane into NY bay area and saved all those lives. Anyway I was surprised at how candid the character's alcoholism was and had no idea that was part of the plot. Definitely made me feel better knowing that I have done some pretty embarrassing things but I've never done anything like that. I'm usually a big movie snob so I was pleasantly surprised I took a liking to the film. Highly recommended if anybody still hasn't seen it.

The next thing on the list today is nothing special, my dad is going to help me change the oil in my car, but the oil does need to be changed and he can only help me on the weekends.

I don't have any plans for tonight but since I'm on an extremely tight budget, a movie or a book to relax and engage in is good enough for me.

As for alternative beverages, I've been addicted to this brand of lemonades called Hubert's Lemonade. They sell them at my local Sprouts and the satisfy the sweet craving and also it's escapist sweet alternative to just plain water.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Olivia - Have you tried Ian Rankin? Very popular crime writer here in the uk, nearly all of the books are set in Edinburgh

Day 10 here in the Scottish Highlands for a few days. I've had the log burner on this evening, very toasty.

Feeling quite strong. Getting my bloods back on Friday eek!! Bit anxious, just praying I haven't done any long term damage. Also got my medication review. So far (fingers crossed), the new meds seem to be going quite well. I am feeling positive and hopeful it will continue to improve.

Now its time to read my book and hopefully have a nice long sleep. Take care all
Old 07-25-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by SilentCinemaFan View Post
I was channel surfing earlier today and managed to run into this film called "Flight" with Denzel Washington. I remember hearing about the film a few years back thinking Hollywood was trying to cash in during the time that pilot flew that doomed airplane into NY bay area and saved all those lives. Anyway I was surprised at how candid the character's alcoholism was and had no idea that was part of the plot. Definitely made me feel better knowing that I have done some pretty embarrassing things but I've never done anything like that. I'm usually a big movie snob so I was pleasantly surprised I took a liking to the film. Highly recommended if anybody still hasn't seen it.

The next thing on the list today is nothing special, my dad is going to help me change the oil in my car, but the oil does need to be changed and he can only help me on the weekends.

I don't have any plans for tonight but since I'm on an extremely tight budget, a movie or a book to relax and engage in is good enough for me.

As for alternative beverages, I've been addicted to this brand of lemonades called Hubert's Lemonade. They sell them at my local Sprouts and the satisfy the sweet craving and also it's escapist sweet alternative to just plain water.

I really enjoyed Flight too. I thought the portrayal of alcoholism was pretty accurate. When he's walking out the hotel room with that huge vat of water the morning after, gah...I know that awful feeling all too well...
Old 07-25-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I'd always assumed Flight was another heroic Hollywood flick and given it a wide birth too. Sounds good I'm going to buy it off itunes tonight. I remember Denzel Washington talking about it on the Graham Norton show and saying to put on the extra weight he needed he went to bed with a big plate of pancakes every night. I always thought acting would be a great job. Another fantastic movie is Sideways - main protagonist is alcoholic. It's really, really funny, and deeply touching. Don't know how many times I've watched it.

Thanks everyone for your stories and encouraging words. I too want to send my support to those who are struggling and going through hard times. Been there, and will no doubt revisit. Much love x
Old 07-25-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Yes Flight was AMAZING!
Old 07-25-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Ok, you all have me curious about Flight. I'm going to watch it in a few. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-25-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Finishing up sober day 22 here on my last night at the beach. I finished the Allen Carr book today and I have to say its pretty good. Not a perfect fit though as I can see where he kinda shoe-horned some of the quitting cigarettes material into this alcohol book. It's not a perfect fit but good enough to give me some material to tweak my thought process a bit. I won't go into detail about the book as its been reviewed here on SR before: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-thoughts.html

Went out to our favorite Japanese restaurant tonight. Zero AV and zero craving. I know its still so early in the recovery so I do wonder and worry about when, how, and where I'll be tested.

I just realized its Sat night. Wishing sobriety to ya'll tonight!
Old 07-25-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Hello all. Ditzy and Dee both encouraged me to drop by this thread. Looks like good folks here. I'm only on Day 4, as I'm a world class Serial Relapser. I'll try not to have to join the August group when it comes around.

p.s. "Flight" is a good movie about addiction. Of course Denzel Washington is almost always good. And John Goodman has a nice turn.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Welcome Frank. I just joined yesterday. Good ppl..
Old 07-25-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Glad to see you again Frank! Flight is an older intense movie from what I remember. But oh so true. Denzel is hard to beat.

Bath and book time for me.

Olivia
Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Sansas? Christina? Please come back. I know you are reading this. You are not talking to a bunch of saints you know. You can do this.

Olivia
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

BBB - blood work. Mine are ways fine yet I sometimes can't believe it. My doctor said one time that when you are beyond help basically (tar stool and such) it's too late no matter what numbers are.

Sideways - will have my son get that one
Old 07-25-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Saturdays go to fast. Nice out and no rain. I thought Flight was entertaining. Downloaded that Calm app and I look forward to trying it out.
I haven't been able to fit in time for a work out or meditation. I guess it's just a routine to get into same time everyday. If anyone has advice I am open to it. Kind of hard with 2 young children but if others can do it I should be able to also.
Still using the chantix. Today is my last day smoking. Sundays are the best day to quit for me. A new week and fresh start. have a nice evening!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

reporting from California on day 10. Today is very hot, yet I chose to use both ovens to cook dinner so now I'm roasting (much like dinner). My family is enjoying it while I'm sitting under the fan. I'm on a diet so I only tasted a few of the dinner offerings, but they seem to be enjoying it. Dieting and quitting alcohol are an interesting combination, but I've gained 25 pounds and I need to get it off. I'm using medifast. Not sure if you've heard of it, but it's basically pre-packaged food that you supplement with one real meal a day. It works but is very difficult.

I remember watching Flight but I was under the influence, so I don't remember much of it. I should revisit it. For the weekend I rented Lincoln. I also got some books from the library to read (fluffy romances).

There's really no point in having cravings as my husband practically shoves the Antabuse down my throat every day. I guess that's a good thing but I hate not having the control (though we know where that gets me).

I'm still at the point, despite all the problems that I've had, where I want to drink. I hate it and want it at the same time. I just want the blahs to end. When do the cravings stop? When will I no longer want it? When will I stop obsessing?

I hope everyone has a good, sober night.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Bob - it's been a while since I read Allen Carr's book but it almost seems like he tells you he is tying it in with other addictions. It's very common sense stuff. That's where I always get caught up in "why can't i understand this and clean up my life?" When you read this you should be eager to stop! Kind of like my one time counselor (recovering alcoholic) that told me she was drinking too much and had to stop!! Wish it was that easy! I almost felt like I was counseling her !
Old 07-25-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

I happened to catch Flight this afternoon as well, I love that movie and can watch it over and over again. I agree, good portrayal of alcoholism.

Bob, I have read so many recovery books, but not Allen Carr's. I have heard so much about it, but the sample that I read on my Nook, just didn't seem to speak to me. I think I'll check out that link andsee if I get more of a feel for it.

Well, I made it through today despite some rough patches. I was home alone in my house without my kids for a few hours and boy did it feel strange to not be drinking. My daughter and I went to visit my stepmom later and I "decided" on the way home, that I just had to have some wine. Enough of this sober stuff, I'll get right back on it tomorrow. But then I ate something and the craving dissipated. Even though I'm home and safe, I still feel unsettled and uncomfortable. Just trying to recognize my feelings for what they are, just feelings that come and go. I need to take this time to get used to life without drinking whenever I want to (which is too much obviously) again.

My relationship is still an issue, but I know that drinking will only make me handle these tough situations and conversations poorly. I'm not ready to say goodbye or let go, I'm still holding on to a shred of hope, but with my deciding that I have to accept things the way that they are and not constantly let every disappointment upset me and get my head spinning trying to fix everything. I need to take care of myself first. Sounds so much easier than it is, but I'm really trying.

As the end of the month approaches, I feel like this group is really coming together! I have to admit, coming on this thread throughout the day really helps my mindset. Sometimes I can feel my resolve slip, but once I read a few posts and remmber that we all fighting this battle, my mind usually goes back to where it needs to be. Thank you all for that!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Coming to the end of day 23, nice night at the local minor league baseball stadium (Phillies farm team), home team was winning when we left mid-eighth inning...the ballpark was excited that Cole Hamels of the Phillies pitched a no hitter, he did some time at this particular farm team before being called up a few years ago. They had the bottom of the ninth inning at Chicago on the big screen, was fun to watch, even though I'm a Yankees fan.

Lots of Beast (AV) noises at the game, beer seemed to be served and being drank all over the stadium, but I just heard that negative voice and passed on by over and over again, works very well!

Planning on moving on to a great Sunday, hope everyone here stays the course and don't disappoint yourselves...you can do it!

Goodnight all!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Oh Amanda I give you a ton of credit for dieting and quitting alcohol at the same time. I have tried many times and it becomes so overwhelming for me. What I have learned works for me is prioritizing - staying sober, exercise, diet - in that order. Exercise helps me sober, so it actually trumps the diet. At the end of the day, if I didn't exercise or eat well, but I stayed sober its a HUGE victory. If I exercised and/or ate well - but drank - for me that just refutes any diet or exercise. Not sure if that makes sense. I feel like once I am stronger in my sobriety, I will be able make more of a commitment to diet and exercise. Anyway, I have tried Medifast and really liked the plan, food, and, shakes. But it definitely is restricting.

I really have learned, from my sober runs, that time builds sober muscles, as you learn to reap the benefits of being sober, drinking won't seem as appealing (usually) because you realize that it would also mean losing those benefits you are enjoying (clear thinking, good sleep, sober mornings, not hiding, etc..). Obviously the AV will try to convince you that you can moderate now without losing those benefits, but we all know how that ends up!