View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
forabetterlife

Oh Amanda I give you a ton of credit for dieting and quitting alcohol at the same time. I have tried many times and it becomes so overwhelming for me. What I have learned works for me is prioritizing - staying sober, exercise, diet - in that order. Exercise helps me sober, so it actually trumps the diet. At the end of the day, if I didn't exercise or eat well, but I stayed sober its a HUGE victory. If I exercised and/or ate well - but drank - for me that just refutes any diet or exercise. Not sure if that makes sense. I feel like once I am stronger in my sobriety, I will be able make more of a commitment to diet and exercise. Anyway, I have tried Medifast and really liked the plan, food, and, shakes. But it definitely is restricting.

I really have learned, from my sober runs, that time builds sober muscles, as you learn to reap the benefits of being sober, drinking won't seem as appealing (usually) because you realize that it would also mean losing those benefits you are enjoying (clear thinking, good sleep, sober mornings, not hiding, etc..). Obviously the AV will try to convince you that you can moderate now without losing those benefits, but we all know how that ends up!