Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 4

Old 07-26-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

So true JL. That simple one drink tends to open the gates, and all hell unleashes. Best to not even have the 1, as CaseyW constantly says.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Welcome KDB and Jimuk!

Thanks for the laugh Charlie, when I was drinking I think I’d just about thrown a temper tantrum over that one. I had to have every element of my drinking just perfect.

JL, physically do something with your body. Move, walk, go outside, walk down the street, take a shower, cut your toenails, take out the trash, and most of all, stay on here!

Finishing up day 23 here. Some folks talk about stopping the count after a while or going to weeks. I’m thick as a brick so I’ll keep counting. Maybe stop at 5000 or so…..

Uneventful drive back from the beach. It’s right at 300 miles, nice day. Got back at 3pm…at the wrong time for me! Ate a poptart, made a PBJ, and drank a Dr. Pepper. Then I went on a run, took a shower and then finally went to the store. I had no AV but I believe in patterns. This one is working to disrupt the OTHER one so I’m going to keep hitting it.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Checking in.

Welcome to all new Julyers!

There have been so many good posts. Thank you all so much for your honesty and your insights. Yes, the anxiety thing is very real, and so are the feelings of inadequacy. While drinking, some tasks just seem so monumental... even making a phone call, etc--at least to me. It's great to be gradually finding out that these things *can* be done, and they aren't really that significant at all.

I went to a yin yoga class this evening. It's a very relaxed kind where you hold the poses for a long time. The yogi said "We are radical yin-sters". Liked that. Yin yoga is apparently all about "letting go" and "intentions". We were told to think of a mantra of something/some concept that we want to focus on. Of course, mine was "sooobriiiiieeetyyyyy, soooobriiiieeeeetyyyy" . Oh yeah.

Please keep giving that AV a hard time, all.

Last edited by tokidoki; 07-26-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
While drinking, some tasks just seem so monumental... even making a phone call, etc--at least to me. It's great to be gradually finding out that these things *can* be done, and they aren't really that significant at all.
Bingo!

And hello to all the July Gang. Hope things are going well for everyone.

Where's Ditzy?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hi Frank :-)

I know right?! Where is Ditzy?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Hi Frank :-)
Hiya Shabby!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

JL, so glad you go through the tough time!
Jimuk, Glad you are here. It is a tough journey at times, but as you learned a few years ago, it is beyond rewarding.
Bob, getting home at 3 would have been a hard time for me too, but you did all the right things...eating, exercising...you are doing this
Toki.. Absolutely about the smallest tasks being a chore when drinking. And by drinking, it's not always drinking at that moment. Just the fact that I drank the day before, and I'm already planning on drinking eventually that day/evening ...its just IN me and it affects everything I do, how I think. I accomplished tasks these past 5 days that have been on my list of things to do since Memorial Day weekend. Amazing.

Today wasn't the greatest day for me. Just one of those days where I was going through the motions. At a few points during the day, I was just MAD that I can't drink. I know there are better days ahead, days where I will feel better, look better, and have a better attitude. I didn't drink and that makes today a good day

I downloaded the Calm app that a few of you had mentioned last week. I think I will like it, I did the 2 minute meditation and will do another longer one before bed. It's things like this that I would never in a million years do if I was drinking.
It feels good.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hey folks, just seeing if you have room for one more in July 2015. I had little over 6 months and then stopped doing what kept me sober everyday. Take that away and it was a matter of time. So, I get to remind myself of the anxiety, shame, and frustration -- and then dust myself off and let's get this thing back on track.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Hi livetofight :-) What was it that kept you sober everyday for 6 months? I need all the tips I can get....that's pretty impressive.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
It was only on Thursday when I was finally coming out if it and clearing up that I realised the wine I'd picked up in such a hurry because I wanted to get out of the shop was NON-ALCOHOLIC. If you don't laugh you cry right lol.
Lmao that is so something I would do! Good goin CW. Sorry to everyone else on the July thread for not getting more involved after joining almost 3 weeks ago. But I do want to improve that & starting my 3 weeks tomorrow will be a great place to begin. Goodluck everyone! I hope we all are still posting in july long into the future
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Live2FAD

D
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone

Is everyone ready for the new week? I have to say I'm not that keen on Sunday nights and Mondays. I hate the transition of weekend mode to working mode. It's not even that I hate my work I just prefer the weekend

Anyway Happy Monday!!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome Live2FAD and Jim (and any newcomers I missed.

Day 12 for me. Charlie - definitely. I'm not good at the transition at all. Fortunately the doc signed me off for a while and she was quite clear there was no discussion about it. So in trying to use this time as my own 'personal' rehab so I am ready to go back to work.

Usually at this point on a Monday I would be waking up after a full weekend of drinking, feeling shaky, sick, exhausted and full of self-hatred. That journey into work on Mondays was always the worst, the day just seemed to drag on forever and I would count the minutes until I could leave to pick up some booze on the way home.

It's no way to live.

Anyway, have a great day Charlie. Much love from the July gang!
B
Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Just found this and I think I will make this my message of the day:

"Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
― A.A. Milne

B
Old 07-27-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Good Morning all :-) Welcome Line2fad

Im feeling a little down today I guess I got the Monday blues but im sure it will pass !
Day 14 yeah!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Know the feeling. Day 14 is awesome, Dee!!
x
Old 07-27-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Welcome Live2FAD: Start of Sober day 24 and first day back to work in about 11 days. I'm stressing a bit about all kinds of work stuff. Since our office burned down last month the logistics of the simplest things are a pain. But I also miss my coworkers. We are a good bunch and fun to be with. Right about half of staff are non-drinkers. Actually, I have a pang of guilt as one of our new staff is a non-drinker but I was one of the drinkers previously and since I'm senior there I may have influenced her. Actually, though, the last two times we were out I had no ETOH. Even when I was drinking I was trying to set a good example. Now I can do it for real! We have a thing tomorrow night and I'll be sure to emphasize the "good life" = no drinking.

The negative today is the internet is locked tight, no SR during work hours.
Have a great sober day today!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to those hitting or nearing 2 weeks

D
Old 07-27-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Mondays have always been tough for me too, Charlie. In fact, sometimes I would drink on Sunday (even if I managed to stay sober all weekend) as some kind of denial of the weekend being over. That always made for a great start of the week

Bob, Hope you have a good first day back. It's always good to be back in a routine

Today is day 6- the longest sober time I have had in 2015. Now I just need to keep it going. It's also my last Monday off since work starts back up next week. Lots of things to take care of that need to be done during business hours that I've neglected all summer. I haven't been off all summer though, I worked part time for a month and attended quite a few professional developments. I did all of that not only for the money, but in the hopes that it would keep me busy and keep me from drinking. No such luck. Oh well, at least I'm doing it now.

I'm up early today as my daughter has camp. I plan to get out for an early morning walk/run before it gets too hot (even though it already is !).
I'll be checking in often, let's have a great sober day guys!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Somebody mentioned something about having just one ... when I quit smoking someone told me to hold this image in my head when the thought "just one" came in head (I adapted it too drinking now also) ...

he said picture that one cigerette/drink in front of you, then tilt your head to the side and notice the thousands of cigerette/drinks behind them all lined up and tied with a little cord pulling the next one to you in a neverending line ...

That image helped me see there is no such things as "just one" for me.