Notices

You have the Power Sober Weekender Thread June 11....

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ruby that's very annoying - at least you are not out of pocket. More new pin numbers to remember plus having to pay with cash is a pain. It happened to me about three months ago. The people who were doing it tried to draw money out in Croatia. Fortunately the bank refused the transactions
Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Sorry Ruby... I had to borrow your card to pick up some wieners.

but, seriously.. sorry that happened. My bank (Chase) is sending out new cards with a smart chip for added security. I think all card issuers have to do this by Oct. Hope it works.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Tanning, weiners and paper towels. Hmmm.
I love tanning, but since I got guilt tripped by the dermatologist, I have switched to fake tans. Tanning towels. I am liking the result.
Paper towels. My grandfather used to wash, hang dry and reuse his paper towels. I am did not inherit that frugal gene.
Weiners. Well,....... I like the really good ones.

Just got back from a small walk with the dog. I need to bake some cookies now and put clean sheets on the bed. Thumb from cat bite is still not functional. It hurts like crazy, nail is turning a nice shade of purple.

Other than that, I am having a fantastic sober Sunday!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ugh! Sorry ruby! Glad your bank caught it at least.

Congrats Art! I like your avatar....that's the one I'm most used to for you.

Hippo....what about lantana? It's hearty in the sun and smells great and attracts butterflies plus it's a perennial!
Old 06-14-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Brynn, I have a Lantana closer to the house but that's a great idea It would be hardy and handle the harsh conditions next to the road.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Congrats Art! I like your avatar....that's the one I'm most used to for you.
Thanks Brynn. It was my original avatar. I think I will stick with it. It best represents recovery for me.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

made it

Thanks for your support guys. Made my weekend thanks heaps. Hope you all won to
Old 06-14-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I'm hiding on the back porch. Husband just did something and son crying. Husband wants me to come inside to mediate. Nope. Husband not entirely wrong but don't be a chicken about it. He cut up a fake pacifier (dummy) that my son got as a prize. It lit up but it will also ruin son's teeth if he walks around with it. Husband should just have waited and hidden it. Kids forget about things like that in two seconds. He won't forget it was taken and cut up.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

That's so true.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

wieners ?? hmm the thought is better than the tasting of it ..

Hope you're all doing ok this sunday evening , used to be the last desperate play of the AV . a last chance saloon ..
I'm glad i don't feel that anxiety sunday evenings anymore , just the pleasant satiety of a weekend well spent and the prospect of a working week ahead which holds no fear .
My anxiety such as it is , which is hardly any is are my pants clean , where are my shoes , what will i pack for lunch in my lunch box , and no there won't be a wiener in it before any of you ask .

Lets just get through the last few hours , not far to go now to make it through ..
If you didn't get there this weekend then it is a new day tomorrow and we get to try again next weekend .. it takes as long as it takes .

m
Old 06-14-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Saoutchik, the card thing is annoying. I just had a credit card from Amazon cancelled for the same thing. Those people were in Brazil. Were the Croatians buying fun things with your card? I know ArtFriend is buying bacon with mine

I have no opinion on flowers this year. I haven't done pots this year yet. If you have an actual mailbox on a post you could try clematis or morning glory. I've got morning glory all over my back yard. It came from outer space since I didn't plant it. It just arrived. Like The coriander/cilantro plant, the squash or gourd that popped up. It's an interesting mix of junk
Old 06-14-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

it's 96 outside with the wind chill factor... I was a flower cutting weed pulling fool, so I go to the patio fake plastic barrel planter and start to remove the dead mum sticks and weeds the took over, the earth is moving! No, a bazillion teeny ants have set up shop in the thing. Removed a big bag full of weeds, and time to rescue the flowers I purchased before I left on trip. I put them in a big plastic container and filled it with water. Decision time - take a shower and start dinner or go back outside and pull more weeds while I'm a still a sweaty mess.

Interesting that since I returned from trip, drinking is not even on my mind. I'm back to my safe place once again. A lot to do outside, and it seems as though it's gonna be stinkin hot until October.
Amazingly, the tomatoes, peppers and squash I stuck in the ground before I left are doing quite well. I should probably fertilize and water...
Makes me think that I should be heading to Hotlanta in the next week or two to finish up some projects at my seestor's place - I guess it hotter down there?

Old 06-14-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ruby, You're lucky to have all that vegetation pop up!

Mecanix...I just had an image of the Sunday evening last chance saloon. It truly was a desperate last ditch binge for me and I still get to witness it every Sunday while my partner frantically drinks like it's the end of the world.

Oh, it's flag day in the US.....just remembered and put mine out.

This has been the most relaxing day I've had in a long time. I'm still on my patio reading (it's covered thank goodness) and enjoying the birds and the breeze. I feel completely relaxed. Very nice!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
...holds the key

After reading Brains post now I just feel lazy.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
LBrain, interesting netting there. We have three blueberry bushes. It's my first time ever growing blueberries and I'm just learning as I go. Might have to get some netting to protect them.
It will take a couple years for them to produce... let the birds have the first season if you even get any. Mine are about fours years old and I finally have a good crop. It is even recommended to pinch off the flowers the first year. There is a lot of good info on the net. Blueberries are harder to grow than most people think.
But when you start to get them - net them.
I had this 7' wide stuff. I just used a rope as a 'frame' and spread it over top then added sides. I have to duck inside the enclosure but the mrs doesn't - and she's the picker.
The foiled things I put on my cherry tree was a waste of time. Two robins were fixing their feathers using it as a mirror. They own that tree!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

Trying to catch up with you all. Busy all day. Mentally and physically exhausted!

Love your garden project soberpotumus!

Sorry to hear about the card theft ruby.

Glad you had a nice time at the festival Ken.

Love the poem MM.

First naked lawnmower guy, now weiners. Oh my!!! Lol!! I can barely keep up.

My brain is tired. Feeling anxious as not at home with my routine and comforts. My mind is entertaining catastrophes òf all sorts. I'm sure it will pass. I would have drank these feelings away in the past - not now, not ever. Just need to make this place our home, with time.

I just spied a mouse running from the garage, and spotted chewed wood in there. The landlord stipulated no pets! .

I'm observing dusk as it creeps through the garden, a serene evening light. I look forward to waking here in the morning. A coffee in the garden perhaps, to soak in the new sounds of the environs.

B
Old 06-14-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Brain and Mec both have me tired out, Brynn. I've gotten some stuff done. Weeded through stacks of paper and magazines. A lot of magazines. I wish I could scan them somewhere and find recipes later. I still have to go to the grocery store. Ugh. Too much to do.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

The foiled things I put on my cherry tree was a waste of time. Two robins were fixing their feathers using it as a mirror. They own that tree!

You're killing me smalls!
Old 06-14-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
It will take a couple years for them to produce... let the birds have the first season if you even get any. Mine are about fours years old and I finally have a good crop. It is even recommended to pinch off the flowers the first year. There is a lot of good info on the net. Blueberries are harder to grow than most people think.
But when you start to get them - net them.
I had this 7' wide stuff. I just used a rope as a 'frame' and spread it over top then added sides. I have to duck inside the enclosure but the mrs doesn't - and she's the picker.
These are three year old plants and they are currently loaded with berries The Powder Blues are anyway. The Georgia Gem doesn't have any yet.

I've got them in huge pots on the patio area. I've got them mulched too so that it acidifies them. I read they like acidic soil, is that right?

I'll look for some netting. So far, no birds have found them... yet.

I picked my first blueberry, dropped it, and accidentally stepped on it! We laughed about that.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I googled the Angelonia - I really like it!

Yes, please, give me suggestions on what to add to the mailbox garden. I was also thinking of a mix of different yellow daylilies - to stagger them, so that I have early, mid, and late season bloomers. I thought the yellow & blue/purple would be striking.
That would look great. I've had good luck with Stella D'oro day lilies. Something else you may consider is something where the foliage is the feature.....like 'sunshine' ligustrum or the chartreuse Joseph's coat. I've got both and like how it looks with purple.