Notices

You have the Power Sober Weekender Thread June 11....

Old 06-12-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I love knowing that come Monday I'm going to feel good and not like a steaming and anxiety ridden pile of cow dung. Have a good Friday .
Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Sitting in airport surrounded by many people drinking beer. And this is on a 2 hour flight to Moscow. My first trip sober. I would have been on my second or third oneby now. This morning it was vada deesgass. No coffee so I can sleep on moscow to new york flight. I can play chess againt the computer on the seatback or watch one of several movies . Listen to a variety of music. I kicked the computers butt in backgammon on the trip here - undefeated. I made a mistake in chess cause of a color error. Gave up my queen to a bishop I thought was mine. I have to admit, airports and beer or bloodies were a big thing for me. I have never flown sober in my life before thisntrip. And it's a long one. Airport is completely different rent that last visit. The Olympics were a good thing for the area.
Former road warrior here. Traveling and drinking were part of my romance with alcohol. I watched 'up in the air' with George Clooney and thought, "that's me but he doesn't drink enough."
Old 06-12-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I'm in!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hi sober Fridayers,

Hi Purpleknight, Lunar, Tetra

It has turned cloudy here in and humid too.

We have come into the centre of Le Mans today for lunch. We had to book it on Wednesday because everywhere is so crowded this weekend and as you can see the streets are quite narrow
sao is that a wand shop I see?
Old 06-12-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Brain..there is nothing worse than sitting in a plane feeling hungover and sick. Enjoy every minute of your adventure.
I love the street photo sao...zurich streets look like that too. Makes me want to travel. I will do some dental work instead first things first.
ok...got a long work day today and then let the weekend begin!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Beautiful day for a bus ride.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I was not a drinker when flying. Didn't like that disgusting dehydrated woozy feeling. Plus I was too cheap to buy massive amounts of booze.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Good luck with the viewing MM. Nice being able to go out to eat. No dishes that way. Good plan.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome ChloeRose63

HAF- Haha, it does look a bit like Diagon Alley
from Harry Potter.

I have been looking for some postcards (for Olive amongst others) but the few I have seen have all been rubbish so far. Off to final practise soon
Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck MesaMan
Old 06-12-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Just finished a late-morning workout. It is so hot here and my home gym has no air-conditioning! I am drenched and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hi ChloeRose63 - welcome to the weekender!

Best of luck with viewing MM!

Enjoy the rest of your trip Sao - a big congrats on getting through this trip sober.

Nearly finished work for the day. Busy, busy weekend. Have to go straight to new place to sign agreement and pick up keys. Have to pack rest of stuff tonight - removal van is booked for the AM. Finding packing stressful now as it is all the essential stuff. I have this incessant neurotic worry, much to the amusement of Mrs B, that we are going to "forget" something: "Put that in that box in case we forget it"!! Going to be a busy day tomorrow and Sunday.

I think moving is stressful as we are (potentially) interrupting our safe, stable place. I think this is something we all need: be that place geographical, relational, or in our minds. The apartment was a safe place for me after a few years of chaos, although it also allowed me to hide in intoxication.

Hopefully, with work and patience, I can make our new place safe for Mrs B and junior B.

My best wishes,

B
Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
pray for strength

On behalf of gettingsmarter:

Old 06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
bdj

I'm on the bus. Almost 6 weeks sober and I feel great. Hey, can I drive, never driven a bus!!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Back in my partier days I used to move a lot. I've lived in six different states and lots of different cities since I left my mother's house. Now, I've been in one place for 20 years, and it's entirely likely I'll be here the rest of my life.

I often think about moving, especially now - when we are about to get hit with a $23,000 assessment per unit; but if I can't move to a beach community, I'm not going. Every time I take a scuba trip I come back saying, "I'm moving to [that place with great diving]."

I have two cats, and while I love them they do make it pretty difficult to move to another country.

I will keep them and take the $$$$ hit. I have everything I need and then some. I can't see complicating that.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Ouch Bimini. That's a big hit. Maybe some day you can move to the beach.

Like the joke where the elderly couple who had been married forever told the divorce attorney that they waited to file until the kids were "gone".
Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Fun commercial break

Old 06-12-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Well, my place has been paid off for nine years, so I haven't been paying much to live here in that time. The assessment is for siding and windows/doors replacement, and we really need it badly.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
On behalf of gettingsmarter:

Thank you Verte.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

I got beautiful new windows a few years back and it's worth every penny. They keep out noise, heat, and cold. My heating bills and cooling bills are less. And they open and close so nicely. But my house is small so that helped.