Notices

Advice

Old 06-17-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice

It must seem like I'm flitting from one thing to the next on here and I'm forever asking advice on different things. My stance on it is if I need help, I ask and then use the knowledge I am given. I'm always looking to try and improve myself and could do with some more help.

Since stopping drinking 240 days ago and before that, I have had problems with my diet. It is very poor mainly in the evenings. During the day I mostly stick to standard things like fruit, cereal and sandwiches.

In the evening I will eat chocolate, cream cakes, I've cream, sweets and crisps in the bucketload. There have been spells were I go to the shop most nights and spend upwards of £10 each time which, if done most days mounts up. It's like the addiction has switched from beer to junk food!

I know it's detrimental to me and my health, I'm overweight not by much that anyone really notices but I do, I play footy twice a week and struggle to move as quick as what I'm accustomed to.

My thoughts are to cut ALL sugars out , if it is addiction, moderation is not going to work. I can only go for what is currently successful with regards to alcohol and apply it to the food right?

Also I'm dreadful at cooking I only really know 2-3 meals to make and that holds me back to an extent although I know it's no excuse!

Any advice as always, is much appreciated, thanks guys
Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried going from a sugar filled diet to an immediately no sugar diet and made myself ill, so be aware of that.

I then tried replacing the sugary junk food with the simpler sugars of fruit, and that seemed to work for me

I'm not a freak about my diet, but I try not to go overboard on anything these days

D
Old 06-17-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember back in the day when I
would watch Dr. Phil, his topic that
day was about obesity.

The one phrase that I have learned
and remembered from that show
was, if it isn't in the house, you wont
eat it.

And just like it is for alcohol or drugs,
if it isn't in the house you cant drink.

I had to be taught about my alcohol
addiction and its affects on my own
body, soul and mind. No one of us is
made up exactly the same and so
alcohol, drugs, food, or any kind of
addiction affects all of us differently.

I, like many have had our love hate
relationship with food. We love it,
but we hate what it does to our bodies.

I am always looking for the easier
softer way to eat food and not gain
weight or affect my health in a bad
way.

Learning about what foods is best
for our own bodies has to be taught
to us. Talking to a dietician or our
doctor who can refer us to someone
knowledgeable in that field would
be good.

I have to remember that we are all
at different stages of our life and
our systems go thru changes as we
age, so what we may have gotten
away with when in our youth, we
can do that anymore.

We learned that as we get older
that we now have consequences
if we continue to put our bodies
thru destructive behavior. Like
feeding our bodies with tons of
sugar or fats that could clog or
block the blood flow to our main
source that keeps us alive.

Our HEARTS.

We work close with our doctors as
they can refer us to the right people
to teach us what is the right foods
to feed our bodies to remain healthy
and strong.

We use our recovery programs, AA
or NA to teach us how to not drink
one day at a time, or whatever recovery
program you find helpful in living a
successful sober and clean life.

Never hesitate to ask for what we
need in life. Its the not asking or
learning that we will never know.

Good Job..!!!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have two addictions - alcohol and sugar. If I don't keep high sugar junk food in the house, I don't eat it and if I don't keep alcohol in the house I don't drink it! IMHO, I wouldn't be surprised if they are related. Just recently I read some preliminary research that hints at the connection for some alcoholics. Not proven by any means! Considering my own situation, it wouldn't surprise me. I don't totally avoid high sugar junk food but do strictly limit what I keep in my home.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've got the same issue too. Once I stopped poisoning my body with alcohol, the sugar addiction kicked in. It's been almost a year now. I seem to go on sugar binges for a couple of weeks, gain 10 pounds and then get the motivation to go a couple weeks limiting my sugar and fatty content to get it off again. It's gotten so bad that my kids tell on me each time I get into their stash of sweets.

I agree with others... if it's not in the house then you can't eat it. My problem is I can't subject my kids to not having any treats because their dad has no "off" button.

Guess we both need to get serious on this one.

We are in your court!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Take a walk, drink water, do something else instead of eating.....

You can change what you do! and don't buy that junk/sweet stuff!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stewy I'm passionate about food, good food and cooking from scratch. If you view food over the week and make a rough plan, you can buy what you need for way less than you are spending now on short bursts at a local shop. Honestly, a bit of planning and thinking gets you buying selectively and thoughtfully.

The sugar binge at night is more likely to happen if you come home starving or not well nourished during the day. Make time for a proper breakfast -- fruit, cereal, tea or coffee. Build lunch around a huge fresh salad, some good bread and fruit.

You don't need to be a chef to cook a good dinner: stir fry with lots of veg (maybe leftovers for lunch the next day?), some meat or fish sauteed in a skillet with a salad you make or buy. Make a big old fashioned hamburger on a bun -- mince, onions and salad. Have a look at Spark People via Google -- they have great food ideas for athletes like yourself.

At this time of the year you can buy beautiful fruit, spend your money on that rather than the junk. What about a mango and a peach? That'll have you out-running the opposition on the football field!

This sober time could be a great time to learn to cook good basic meals that you will really enjoy. You have a computer to look stuff up, the rest is just time and focus. There is nothing hard about cooking if you can read instructions and take time and don't rush.

PM me if I can help at all.

ETA Try buying 75% or more cocoa chocolate. It's heaps better for you than the sweet milky stuff and it tastes fantastic once you get used to the bitter yet satisfying flavour. It's also next to impossible to eat too much of it.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Eating isn't the same as drinking. Cutting things out 100% doesn't generally work, and we all know that the same holds true for any of the 100s of diets out there. They all work for a while, and then somewhere along the line people crack. And they wind up falling into their old habits, and usually worse off than when they started.

My diet is infinitely better than it was when I first got sober. At 54 I believe I'm in the best shape of my life, I'm 5'7" and weigh 150 lbs. most of which is muscle and bone . On my 40th birthday, that wasn't however the deal. I committed though to getting healthier, and I did.

I completely cut processed sugar out for a while, and that was great, but I'm actually learning now (I'm in school for nutrition) that it's not about depriving ourselves of anything. I love Taco Bell. I doubt I will ever stop eating Taco Bell. I used to eat it several times a week. I have it maybe 2X a month now. Same with ice cream.

The trick I'm being taught to eating more healthfully isn't (again) to quit eating things we know are bad for us, but to start eating more of the things we know are good. That eventually winds up crowding out the bad. Over time we start feeling better, and start developing a taste for the newer healthier foods. We need to find alternatives also for the things we love, but know aren't good for us. I was never addicted to sugar, but I know there are many healthy alternatives that are now easily accessible. Raw honey, stivia, rice syrup, etc.

There are some general rules to use as guidelines for anyone working towards having a healthy diet. Less meat, milk, processed foods, sugar, salt, coffee, and alcohol (for the "normies" of course ), more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and plant based proteins. Buy organic whenever possible, and drink lots of water. Keeping it simple obviously being the key here.

A bit of good news to finish off with, chocolate is actually good for you, in many ways. The not so good news is that eating a handful of commercial chocolate bars a day isn't . Raw organic vegan chocolate (or cacao) is touted by some as one of the best foods the planet has to offer both in taste, and health benefits. I'm not really into chocolate, but a lecture I listened to yesterday has me actually wanting to go out and buy me some .
Old 06-17-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Stewy, first of all, you are AMAZING for 240 days without alcohol. Thanks for posting that, every time I read a count of someone's sober days I feel inspired and proud. I hope to be there soon too.
For the sugar, try cutting out small things first. I cut out sugar in my coffee about 4 years ago and have never looked back. The first day it was so disgusting. The second day it was drinkable but not enjoyable, the third day my morning cup was just as delicious and wonderful as it was before, just this time without sugar. it really happened that fast.

I also agree with Marcher that cooking could really become a great activity for you now that you are sober and have time.
My mom never cooked when I was growing up. She fed us, but she hated cooking so she made a lot of frozen dinners, cheese and fruit, sandwiches, etc. The first time I ever cooked was when I was 20 years old. I followed a recipe in a book and was hooked. There are a lot of people out there who can cook without a recipe, be creative in the kitchen and 'whip up' something fabulous on a whim. But following a recipe is very satisfying and calming to me, I can't explain why, but I find it exceedingly pleasurable. You could pick up a "light cooking" or other healthy eating type of magazine next trip to the store and try your hand at cooking something new.
I would also suggest googling kudzu root. I researched this herb as a way to help with my alcohol cravings but recall reading numerous reviews from folks who had used it to help with sugar cravings.
Best of luck to you and thanks again for your inspirational post.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try switching from sugary items to fruit. The glycemic index for sugar and the like is very high and it spikes your blood sugar. Fruit has a low GI and takes longer to digest and it doesn't spike you.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I think balance is the key.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No real advice on the sweets thing, as for some reason I don't like sweets at all, and never eat them. I'm weird in that way I guess.

Nonetheless, give cooking a chance. It's honestly great fun, or at least I think so. Put some music on, while you muck around in the kitchen chopping everything up, before you get the pan searing hot and cook everything up into a nice meal. Good times.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Totally agree with Anna & D bud
Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeap for me balance was important, cutting alcohol out was enough to be getting on with.

But on the recipe side of things dig out some new ones, loads of info on the internet or books from the library, I decided a few years ago to just try something new each week, or pick up a new ingredient from the store each week and try to fit it into my cooking, the world of herbs/spices/vegetables was completely blown open by simply experimenting with new things!!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I switched from binging on booze to sugar in my first year . I did eventually cut out all sugar but that was because I was suffering from a condition called pcos. It is really difficult to cut out all sugar and I am not saying you shouldn't try it but do a lot of research first if you do. Sugar is in everything even ketchup so it depends on how much yit effects you. Cooking at home is a really great way to cut out sugars in general. Have you tried stevia? Tastes sweet, healthy sugar alternative but some say it has a bitter aftertaste. I used that a lot when I wasn't doing sugar, I also was allowed to have fruit- it was white sugar, agave, and honey that I needed to avoid and Ive honestly never felt better. But alas, my pcos went away and slowly I started allowing sugar back in my diet in small amounts . I don't keep a lot in the house so I usually have to leave to go get it which makes me decide if I want to give in to the craving or not.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for the advice, I really am so grateful for you taking time to get back to me with such insights.

I'll use this thread to launch my healthy eating career and get back to everyone and let you know progress.

I know it's not necessarily advice about alcohol however I feel it is related to me stopping drinking. I would no way be able to address the eating issues if it weren't for quitting drinking so I like to post here were I feel I always get balanced and worthwhile advice.

I often think how if people in the real world advised me like you guys on SR, how I would improve as a person

Thank you x