Notices

Stay Sober Weekender Thread until 6/1

Old 05-31-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Kia Soul. Still funky Mecx

how are you feeling about Blackpool? I know you are in two minds about it

Don't worry about being too 'corporate' You are adding to your skill set. Take the money and be yourself
Old 05-31-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It's just the hoops you have to jump thro' Sao ..

As a contractor i can pull in £80-100k a year and no-one really cares much as long as you pull you weight and deliver the goods , rather no-nonsense.

Going back to being an employee means there is a whole mire of checks and balances and for 1/3rd of what i was on , it's fine if the work life balance is right and it means it's easier to be conventional and have a mortgage and stuff .

It's not much fun if you want to live in a troglodyte house in spain , travel round europe for a year, already have a house in france you've not been to for 3 years and feel slightly responsible to the town not to let it fall into a pile of stones and mud and have friends in cyprus renting decent apartments for 3600 euros a year .

It has a lot to do with mex-m8 and I, i'm not going to say i can't do domesticity but if it turns into an experience where i feel life is a drudge and i'm working my life away till i'm 60 in 20 years time to get a pension then i don't feel i'll be able to both maintain sobriety and that lifestyle .

I'm happy to let life lead me and i'm sure things will work out ok , just i don't know how that will manifest , i'm fine with it tho' it's just the bureaucracy of large firms and the fear factor of having someone else and their desires to think of .

m
Old 05-31-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

I'm back. Church, visited my dad in the hospital. He looks great and is in good spirits. My mother was hating the man who was in my dad's room because he asked her if she was my dad's mother. "78? 80?". She's 70 and doesn't look like 70. Younger. Certainly not my dad's mother.

We're home now. Albert Einstein didn't have a neat desk. I'd go crazy without some visual stimulation.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Rearranged living room furniture. If cleaning doesn't do it, shuffling things around does. New aspects to view.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Mecx

I think I understand

Hey you have a lot going on Mecx

Never let 'domesticity' stop you from doing what your good at.

Just because you are earning 1/3rd of what you can earn don't expect life to be easy or Mex m8 to be grateful for that matter
Old 05-31-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ruby

You're so fantastic
Old 05-31-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welp.... I feel organized. Ready. And able to go to work excited to restart my engines.

Vacation was really a vacation this time around. I lost myself in other things. I thought nothing of work. I took care of myself (except that whole cake thing.... No really... A whole cake!)

You all gave me purpose this week and something to stay centered with. Thanks yet again.

There were lots of great comments and support. Hope those that started with us ended with us soberly. If not. You know what to do. Get back at it. You are worth it. It can be done.

I won't have time tomorrow to post. I have a lot to accomplish. So this will be my weekend sign off. If we get to 500 someone tell a mod please.

K

Ahhhhhhh!!!!! I just saw its my 5000 post!!!!! Woo how take that! Boo Yaa!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Gardening must be good for the soul. I feel ever so much better than I did yesterday Got some more flowers into the ground. Steeping some tea to enjoy before putting the last one into the ground.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5000, Ken.

Yay to everyone getting stuff done.

I went to a quaint little beach town where I used to live and turned out they were having a "music festival." It was more like a tacky craft fair with fast food booths, a beer garden, some not that great band and temporary cyclone fencing erected around the whole thing - that will be $3 to get in: pay the Rotary guy. What? When did summer little gatherings at the beach cost $3? So I bypassed it, walked along the docks and looked at some antique wooden yachts at the yacht club To-Do, walked to the dog park and watched dogs chase each other and balls. Then walked down to the ferry landing and watched ferries and scuba divers and kids playing in the sand.

Now I'm going to make a shrimp and avocado ceasar for dinner.

No brynn, huh?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Hola from San Jose, Costa Rica. Day one of my 2-day trip out to the jungle is complete. Sleep schedule is pretty messed up and I've eaten more gluten-based food today than I've had in the past week! Damn airport food, yuck. That said, much better to be traveling sober and in control as opposed to being a drunk and hungover mess.

Wake up call coming at 3.30am, gives me enough time to grab a quick coffee before heading back to the airport hangar to jump on the little Twin Otter. Should be landing on the rainforest airstrip by 6.30am tomorrow. Got my camera ready for some great birding over the next couple weeks, crossing my fingers for some megaticks/lifers.

Thanks for all of the uplifting stories this weekend - may we all continue to pursue and find peace and adventure in sobriety.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Weasel, congrats on 5000
Old 05-31-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Bimini, what a fantastic sounding day. That seems something I'd enjoy very much. More than the manufactured excuse for drinking near the beach.

Saoutchik, thank you! You're great!

BigS, I imagine the airport food isn't great after reading what you usually eat. But, it's warm where you're at. Spring seems to have skipped immediately to autumn. Freezing here. Well, not literally but cold enough for a heavy coat.

Soberpotamus, good to see you hear on a Sunday evening.

Weas, congrats on 5,000. That's great. Heading back to work, I hope you're feeling refreshed.

Sunday winding down. I've been having some cravings which I will satisfy with ice cream. I'll read around the forum once my son is in bed.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

saoutchik, Weasel, Pouncer, Lily123, thank you! I spectacularly lost my temper that day... Felt like drek the rest of the weekend about it. My oldest one is a challenge and I am not doing a very good job handling it.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I drank. No excuses. I chose to drink after almost 6 months and I hate myself for it. The anxiety is overwhelming ...popping Xanax and doesn't help at all. Not sure what's worse the anxiety, being sick at my stomach or the shaking/sweating.
I knew I would feel like this and did it anyway. Not recommended.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Awww, brynn......
Old 05-31-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Brynn--so sorry you are suffering--will keep you in my prayers
Old 05-31-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Brynn I am sorry girl. Feel better. Now get back to business.

Ruby hope your dad is ok. Everyone I am not leaving you out. I have a lot of reading to do! Hard to read a phone on the beach. Did me a world of good to chillax for a bit. As much as I hated leaving it's always nice to come home.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Be kind to yourself, brynn. Hang in there through the foul feelings and start building yourself up again. Please keep posting. We've got you.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Melki, I hope you're feeling better. I lose my temper with my children. Both very high energy. I'm looking for ways to handle it too. Hugs.

Brynn, I'm sorry. I hope you find an answer to what led you to the place where you wanted to drink. Hugs.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Brynn, I hope you feel better asap. Hang in there.