Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-15-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Alrightee then...... I can finally say that I've made it through 2 weeks. Could not have done it without SR and the MayFlowers! It's feels good, but I realize that whether I have 2 days of sobriety or 20 years, I have to work on staying sober today.

Norther - hope you have a great meeting. Can't believe you went while you were having withdrawals - wow. I can face people today but a couple weeks ago? No way. It's great to be rid of that horrible anxiety, isn't it?

Porkchopped - I just couldn't resist playing with ya (my entertainment last night!!) This place has the best smilies anyway. I like when you said Isn't it refreshing knowing that however you spend it, you will be nurturing yourself??? That's exactly what it feels like and I had totally forgotten I could even do that for myself. Have fun at the game! Lots more fun being outside when you're sober!

Fluxcap - The "fuzzies"/"daydream" stuff gets to me too. And it seems I still don't have alot of motivation. Only been able to paint a few hours at a time.
Spending alot of time here (found the arcade a few days ago, as well- yikes). But I figure I could easily be sitting in rehab right now, so it's not all bad.

MayFlowers - you are bloomin' fantastic! Can we do this? Yes, we can!!!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Going to a friends Birthday get together tonight--there will be booze & weed, but I'm just going to eat a burger, play a lil cornhole maybe & I've got an excuse--leaving somewhat early because I worked all day today & I gotta work all day tomorrow too . Going to a meeting right before the party as well, so, that should help--Wish me luck!

I'll be staying strong

Hope everyone's enjoying their weekend!!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Hi just popping in. 2 weeks without any booze and no cigs. Been keeping myself busy by getting fit. Entered a couple of halfs in the Autumn to give me a goal to aim for. Told everyone that I am doing them so cannot let myself down now.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats artsoul and spen!

D
Old 05-15-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks, Dee. And thanks for your hard work at SR!

Hi Spen - 2 weeks and quitting two habits - that's wonderful! I know exercise really helps when I get anxious. Have to confess, I've only been on the eliptical once, but I can hear it calling me. Anything else you're doing to stay sober and cig free? And what is " Entered a couple of halfs in the Autumn to give me a goal to aim for' Just curious!

Atlas - I'll be thinking of you tonight. Keep going for those burgers!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

This makes me so hopeful.
It is my first day but I'll be popping in here and hopefully make it to two weeks as well and further but one day at the time.

Where I live we go into the winter now and I live quit isolated. So this is a great way to be with people who understand.

Most of my friends are non drinkers which is great if you are sober but not so great if you are drunk and in the throws of addiction.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Welcome Magareth SR has so many great folks here and you'll find tons of support. Glad you joined us!

Artsoul, Congratulations on TWO weeks! You're an inspiration. Rock on.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Hi friends... I'm still around. Haven't quite kept on track with my 100% "not drinking" but recently have put together a little plan for myself that I hope will work. I want to give it some time, then if it seems successful will share it with you. I'm kind of enthused about it right now.

I'm certainly not giving up on this and would also encourage anyone else struggling or relapsing to give it another go. We still have half of the month of May left.

Congrats to all of you that have 2 weeks at this point -- that's so awesome.

Nice to be going to bed sober on a Saturday. No regrets. No headache. No panic attacks in the middle of the night. Hopefully just good sleep and dreams.

I'm so busy with work right now that my life has been a little out of control. I hope to complete a major project soon and get a nice break after it's done. So I'll be checking in when I can! Good night May Flowers!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey Draciack - you're an inspiration to me, too! Hope you're having a good weekend. Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff. So kudos!

Welcome Margareth - It's good to have you in our little group. How are things going for you? Sometimes we get a little crazy here, but it's because we're glad to be sober (I've probably smiled/laughed more in the past two weeks than I have in a year - at least "real" smiles and laughter). I hope you'll join in often and converse with us.

Hi traderjane - I'm so glad you're still hanging around. I hope your plan works out. Regardless, let us know how you're doing, OK?

I hope all the other MayFlowers are sailing into port sober tonight. There's a new world out there waiting for us. No walking the plank anymore. ODAAT!!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Welcome Margareth, this is my first weekend as part of SR and it has been so very helpful to occupying my time when I'd probably be doing something I'd regret. Great people, lots of educational material to help you cope...best of luck...I'm crawling out of my skin right now, however I sit here drinking water mixed with....hope.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Margareth

D
Old 05-16-2010, 01:31 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Into the night. What a hell of a day but at least we were sober. I'll probably sleep like ****.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you sleep better than that, Margareth
There are some good tips here I'm told
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

I'm off for dinner - night all!
D
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

(((Margareth)))

The sleep part will most likely be better in a few days. Try to get some exercise and keep a regular sleep schedule.

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Day 9 and today started thinking I wonder if I had a beer how hard would it hit me now. I think this is where the wheels came off last time, as one beer after work last time and I couldnt stop as the effect was so strong.

What was good timing is the australian government has decided as of tonight they are running shock adverts on the effects of drinking on your health. Saw the first ad and it scared the crap out of me. I mean you know its really bad for you but when your family and friends see what it is doing to you it makes you cringe. Luckily if anyone starts quizzing me tommorow if I am going to quit now I can say already did 9 days ago

Hope all of you Mayflowers are going well
Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

How do I join???

Today is my daughter's 16th birthday, I have been drinking way too much the past two years, I am quitting. No more alcohol past these lips. It makes me sick, stupid and kills my judgment.

I want to join - May 16th here!! Where do I sign up???

Nancy Lee
Day 1 - for the LAST TIME!!!
NOSE - Not One Sip Ever!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
(((Margareth)))

The sleep part will most likely be better in a few days. Try to get some exercise and keep a regular sleep schedule.

Love,

Lenina
It's now 1:30 am and I haven't slept a wink and both me and hubby are online wide awake but the good news is the trembling has subsided somewhat
Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by nancylee View Post
I want to join - May 16th here!! Where do I sign up?
Hi Nancy! There's no "sign up" for this thread - it's for anyone getting sober this month, so just jump in whenever you want! (Actually,you posted here once, so you're already a MayFlower!) Day 1 isn't fun but at least things can only get better from here, right? You can do it this time!

Margareth - sorry to hear you didn't sleep well last night. For the first few days, I felt exhausted and at the same time, wide awake. The nights aren't great - but the mornings keep me coming back for more.

Fluxcap - I wish we had more of that kind of media here in the States. We have a couple shows called "Intervention" and "Addicted" that focus on one individual and follow them while they're still using/drinking. Most of them are pretty raw and I'll bet alot of people who watch them get a real wake up call.

Congrats to everyone who is staying sober today! We all deserve a better life and with each other's support, we can get through this!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Good morning!! I slept like a rock. It's so nice waking up without a hangover and the day just seems so beautiful. I have to work from home today and do about 5 loads of laundry (and grocery shopping) but that's okay. Everything seems so much more manageable without drinking.

I should say that the last time I drank I did not even get a buzz and drank a whole bottle of wine. However, I suffered all the bad effects of hangover, withdrawal, etc. That is just crazy. All of the bad stuff and none of the good! I guess that's what happens as we continue on this drinking journey.

I hope you are all doing well!

Laura
Old 05-16-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  
SR Fan

What you said is so true, tj..... I couldn't have said it better myself. I could drink a bottle of wine or a ton of beer and hardly feel anything at all except for a little relief if I'd been drinking the night before (drinking to feel normal and all that). So, I certainly didn't expect a hangover the next day. WRONG. The hangovers got worse, even drinking the same amount.

I'm so glad you got a good nights sleep. That's awesome. As much as I was surprised by my inability to control my drinking, I'm even more surprised how good I feel today.
Everything seems so much more manageable without drinking.
Hallelujah!