Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-16-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Your post made me smile, artsoul! I'm off for a run on this gorgeous day.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Boop! Beep!

I'm ready to roll. Sign me up!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great to have you with us, growbot! I'm looking forward to getting to know you. There's nothing like a little company when you're dealing with getting/staying sober. We have a great class - I hope you feel free to join in as much as you like!! Congrats on making a choice to be sober and being "ready to roll!"
Old 05-16-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Hope everyone's doing well. I had a craving for a glass of wine with dinner tonight, but I let it slide. It's now clearly after dinner so that danger zone for me has passed.

I've still got a lot of work to do -- and I'm glad to have a clear head to do it. And to start out the week on Monday morning without a hangover. Nice!

I remember the last time I had some serious sober time (like 8 days or so) I had a moment where I was driving my car and the sun was shining on me and I just felt so good. Really good and awesome. Then I went and blew it by drinking wine. I want to get to that point again and just wonder what it would feel like to get to 30 days sober. And beyond. I guess there's only one way to find out

Good evening/night to all...
Old 05-16-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Hi everybody!! Welcome to all the newcomers. I have to say that joining SR was the best decision I have made in a while. Reading through the posts have been so educational. What an exceptional community where people really address the issues of people with thoughtful responses. Nice to have a forum in place when you need help/support/advice.

I am doing great. I actually went all kinds of crazay and posted a recipe in the fitness section.. but it's been working magic for me.. I spared you all from posting it here, but it is my :day6 - present to you!! (artsoul, that icon goes out to you gurlfren!!!)

That's me. So how are YOU?????? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Someone had to use that icon...
Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Second day. Major HALT (lonely and tired) moment. I feel lonely and that is a major trigger for me. Thank god no booze in house and no need to drive to town and give in because I don't wanna and I know I'm going to be alright if I sit this one out.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey porkchopped! You have me lol-ing! Thought about you today when I was at WalMart and passed by the bacon. Not really.... haha. I don't know why I'm acting this way - guess I haven't had a sense of humor for a long time and I'm going overboard?!!

I totally agree about this forum - I've been on one or two other forums (unrelated in subject matter) and I found alot of the people to be just plain rude and crude, like the internet gave them license to be a**es. The people here are interesting, smart, compassionate....it's so cool. I read that alcoholics are generally above average in intelligence. Well in some areas of their lives I guess.

Anyhoo, I think I'll have to check out this "recipe." Hmmmm........ (Or should I wait a few days to see if you break out in hives or something?)

Only one big issue for me right now - I don't feel like doing anything. Just happy to hang out at SR or watch TV and smoke cigarettes. Hope it doesn't last too much longer. Thought I was getting some energy back this past week, but the past two days have been

Have a good soberful evening!

Have a
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi Margareth. Good for you for logging in and sitting this one out! You will feel even better tomorrow. I am sorry that you feel lonely, but you are not alone. We are all here to support you and to encourage you progress! Sending you good vibes!!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hi All Mayflowers,

I'm new on Day 4 of quitting alcohol: passed through the ugly first part of withdrawals...Hoping to make it through the end of May and beyond. Can I join?

LW
Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by Margareth View Post
Second day. Major HALT (lonely and tired) moment. I feel lonely and that is a major trigger for me. Thank god no booze in house and no need to drive to town and give in because I don't wanna and I know I'm going to be alright if I sit this one out.
Hey Margareth - That HALT thing is really helpful for me too. I'm glad you don't have any alcohol there - the time WILL pass. Do you have anything else to do? Something that can take your mind off of it? The past few weeks I've had to remind myself constantly that I really want to do this, that I'll be so grateful in the morning if I don't drink, etc. I've read hundreds of people's posts to drill it into my head. Just think, if you get through this, you'll be a little stronger the next time. So hang in there - you can get through it!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

haha Artsoul, you are the queen of icons! I LOVE bacon... anyway, I find that it is important for me to laugh -especially in the the face of adversity. Life is hard, no doubt, so it is important to keep a positive attitude and add some levity to maintain balance.

The recipe is way safe.. and perfect for those with low energy Sorry that you are lethargic, I have been there and I give myself a pass! The goal now should be to maintain, not become super woman. I make sure to get out and get some kind of exercise - as it helps me process, take in the fresh air and sleep better at night. If the vacuuming doesn't get done?? Who really cares?

Cut yourself some slack and take some time to let your body and mind embrace the lack of alcohol. You are just recalibrating!!

Keep up the good work and thanks for all of your supportive posts.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Day Nine for me....this time!! It's good to be back at SR..this thread is great. I've been reading for the last hour. Count me in!!!: I'm ready to roll!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by littlewheel2 View Post
Hi All Mayflowers,

I'm new on Day 4 of quitting alcohol: passed through the ugly first part of withdrawals...Hoping to make it through the end of May and beyond. Can I join?

LW
Come on in littlewheel! Congrats on 4 days sober. Glad the worst is over for you. I really started feeling better at 4 days. That may have been the day when I woke up in the morning and I actually felt happy. What a concept.

Look forward to your posts!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey spud!! So glad you're joining us! Now we have potatoes to go with our porkchops!

Great job on 9 days sober. How'd you do it? I think you'll really like SR - it's made all the difference for me. Let us in on any tips you have (or concerns, or whatever).

You are now an official MayFlower (I think we need t-shirts?)
Old 05-16-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see the new faces here - this thread is a good one!
& welcome back spudida
D
Old 05-16-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Originally Posted by porkchopped View Post
Hi Margareth. Good for you for logging in and sitting this one out! You will feel even better tomorrow. I am sorry that you feel lonely, but you are not alone. We are all here to support you and to encourage you progress! Sending you good vibes!!
Hi Porkchopped,

I feel lonely because my husband has to stay over near his work this week because he is on call out and it's just to far to drive and we have only done almost two days of sobriety.

He is staying with a couple of very nice teetotallers and he has used his stay there before to have a break from drinking but I'm here in the middle of nowhere (Breathtakingly beautiful but a long way away from people)

I was really relieved to be able to go online and visit you lot because it really does make me feel I'm not alone.

By the way I made my first batch of homemade cold smoked streaky bacon last week. Yum. Not quit organic yet but it is awesome to make that stuff for yourself from local meat and know exactly what's in it.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Hey Margareth - That HALT thing is really helpful for me too. I'm glad you don't have any alcohol there - the time WILL pass. Do you have anything else to do? Something that can take your mind off of it? The past few weeks I've had to remind myself constantly that I really want to do this, that I'll be so grateful in the morning if I don't drink, etc. I've read hundreds of people's posts to drill it into my head. Just think, if you get through this, you'll be a little stronger the next time. So hang in there - you can get through it!
I read about the HALT tool years ago when I read the addictionary (Still have it somewhere, must find it back) I use it to recognise when I feel weak and what is the trigger. I must say though that I don't feel just weak with anger but also with a lot of positive emotions.

And yes at this moment in time I visit this site a lot and read the other posts and they help me immensely.

Thank you so much
Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I totally agree about this forum - I've been on one or two other forums (unrelated in subject matter) and I found alot of the people to be just plain rude and crude, like the internet gave them license to be a**es. The people here are interesting, smart, compassionate....it's so cool. I read that alcoholics are generally above average in intelligence. Well in some areas of their lives I guess.
From the Bearded Man (Abe Lincoln) himself: "Indeed, I believe if we take habitual drunkards as a class, their heads and their hearts will bear an advantageous comparison with those of any other class." We're awesome

Welcome Growbot, LittleWheel, and Spudida! Glad you joined the MayFlowers.

I've seen this article posted on this forum a couple of times. It touches on H.A.L.T. and is incredibly informative about Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms. Useful, useful stuff. Here's the link: P.A.W.S. (Why we don't get better immediately)

Cheers, folks. Let's have a fun sober week.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hi,
I've been sober for a while now, but I'm new to SR and am inspired by all of you who have such courage to take the bull by the horns and take back control of your lives. I'm happy to be a part of the May 2010 gang.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Thanks for the mention of the HALT tool, haven't used it before--looking into it now.

Went to that "party" & the birthday boy wasn't even there ! So, I left his present in his room. My friends that were hanging out, were drinking Absinthe & smoking. I declined weed & wasn't offered alcohol, I was offered coffee , but I had already brought my own. Ate a big ole burger & hit the road. Wasn't bad, didn't feel pressure or anything.

Welcome nancylee, growbot, Margareth (SR=superb lonely fill in), littlewheel & spudida

It is nice to start the week off hangover free and clear(ish- for me) headed. Glad you're back TraderJane!

Hope everyone had an awesome weekend---congrats on the sober minutes, hours, days... !