Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Thanks for the bday wishes everyone. I'm about to head you for the evening, going to Red Lobster, classy! I don't have any urges to drink but it will probably be awkward being the only one not drinking, whatever, i'm not going to let it bother me.

And Art I can definitely relate to the whole "extra" bit. I think for me it was that little "extra" excuse I needed to go get plastered. I got to remember to watch out for that one.

Oh and Hi Flip, welcome welcome welcome
Old 05-13-2010, 05:10 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

LOBSTERFEST!!! How could you not have fun?? Enjoy your birthday Crow!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
SR Fan

:rotfxko lobsterfest!

So, here we are at the end of the day. I had one of those chilling cravings come over me (hadn't had one for a few days), but I think it was because I was getting really hungry. I hadn't had any carbs all day (just a couple eggs for breakfast), so I went to the drive-through. Hamburger, fries...... yeah, I know it's cr*p food, but the best part is, I went past the same strip mall where I get my beer and liquor and didn't even think about it. The only other panicked moments I've had lately is when I've seen "The Internet Cannot Display This Message" while on SR. Puleeez don't take away my SR!!!

Hope everyone's day has gone soberly well. We have to do this or we won't have any kind of future. So let's give it all we've got. OK, MayFlowers?!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Hi Lazyboy

Didn't see you there before. Hope your new day 2 went well, i've had a handful of those since since early march and from my experience I would say each got progressively easier. Welcome to our group.

And yea, Art, the whole hunger thing really gets me to. If I accidentally skip a meal I really have to watch out for those cravings because when they happen it comes on really fast. Luckily its more physical than mental and the large meal remedy really puts out the fire, still, they're pretty annoying. I wonder how long that is going to last? Of course after eating practically an entire reef of seafood I didn't have to worry about them tonight and so friday here I come.

actually its 12:41 am so technically, Friday here I am...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's getting to late afternoon of Friday here LOL
Happy weekend mayflowers

D
Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Well ...I'm in...don't really consider myself a Mayflower, more like the Titanic...or a May stinkweed...but I'm trying, hopefully won't buy the iceberg of a bourbon bottle tomorrow that sinks me almost every day...glad I found this portal of hope...
Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

haha...welcome aboard king

I wanted to share something that made me shake my head & smile:

I saw one of those bud light wheat beer commercials & it reminded me of 2 weeks ago (the night I was testing myself before committing to sobriety) a girl was giving free bottles out to sample if you've never tried it before. We had a couple drinks before arriving at the bar & of course, in my mind, I'm like FREE beer! So the girl comes over to see if I'm interested & I play it off as, "Ooo bud light has a wheat beer, humm sounds interesting, yeah! I'd like to try it...I normally don't even like bud light, but this is good". Then I get one for my friend too. When in reality I was thinking to myself, "they're just NOW going around advertising this beer at bars? This ****'* been out for almost a year..."
...ridiculous, I TOTALLY aced that test
Old 05-14-2010, 03:49 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Hey Mayflowers! Have a good weekend all! I'm going to the Cannes film festival. Catch you Monday!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Starting day 11. I'm looking forward to the weekend, because it is easier then to go to more meetings. I've had a few brushes this week with these weird passing decisions I make to drink again. I've resisted them, but somehow hearing other alkies talk about their ESH makes it easier to do so. I don't think I'd make it through the week, with its sparse F2F meetings, without SR, so thanks to everyone and welcome to the newcomers.

Last edited by Norther; 05-14-2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi King - great to have you in our group! (Are you really the King of NYC? just kidding) I hope you'll post some more so we can get to know you. Hang in there! You can be one of the survivors of the Titanic! SR is my life boat, so hang around.......

Congratulations Atlas on hitting the 2-week mark! Fantastic! I liked your "free beer" story. You played it really cool........ haha

Crow - glad you were able to have a sober birthday. I hope this will be the best year yet for you (and all of us!). Sounds like you really got rid of those hunger cravings!

Norther and Porkchopped - going strong. I'm enjoying reading your posts on the forum. Also, hello to all the rest of you: Draciack, Fluxcap, Flip, Lazyboy...... I'm afraid the list is getting too long to address everyone, but that's a good thing. The more the merrier (and sober).

Remember: ONE DAY AT A TIME, KEEP IT SIMPLE, EASY DOES IT
Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Welcome King Good to have you here. Stick around; alcoholism can be a lonely disease. Without SR and group support, this tough fight would be even more difficult.

Crow, the hunger cravings get me as well. I have about seven-eight takeout menus on my desk, ready for when the mood hits. The Knoxville restaurant industry has loved me these past two weeks

Atlas, I straight-up loled at "FREE beer!" I'd never pass up a drink, even if it was something god-awful. Congrats on the two weeks!

California, Cannes film festival? Sounds amazing--have a fun and fantastic weekend.

Norther, congrats on making it through ten days!

And, Artsoul, of course:

Happy, sober weekend, Mayflowers!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Good to hear everyone is going well. I have just made it to day 8

Am feeling great today as it's saturday and I can relax as it's been a stressful week at work. Normally I would have cracked a beer to unwind but really want to get somewhere in life and not be stuck in a job that is going nowhere. The beer just covered up the problem and I would got to work most mornings with a hangover. This has been my main motivation to stop drinking as I am sure people at work mustve noticed how bad I had become in the mornings.

But all is looking good and got out of work before everyone started having friday night drinks. Am not ready to deal with everyone asking questions yet as to why I am not drinking as I want to prove to myself I can get over the 2 week mark. Puts to much pressure on you with everyone saying how bad drinking is for your health and telling you how bad you had got and looking shocked when you say how much you where consuming. Last time thats what did it for me as it was quite depressing if your not ready for the confrontation.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Hi Everybody!!! First, I am tech challenged and I need some help - so I have my porkchop profile pic and I cannot seem to get it to upload next to where I post? I just want to be like all you cool kids... Any suggestions??

Congrats to everyone - looking good for the Mayflowers. Today was my first time FARMING!! Haha.. yep, being unemployed gave me an opportunity to chat up my mailman..guess that is called postal carrier these days. Anyway, he owns 18 acres up north and asked if I wanted to help. Didn't tell him that I have killed every plant that I have ever touched (shhh!) It was so fun getting down and dirty with the earth. Planted leeks and romaine and corn- a kernel every four inches for what seemed like 200 miles (my back is gonna kill me!!) It's no Cannes Film Fest (california, that is just sweet and cannot wait to hear about it!), It was awesome and never something I would have done if I was drinking fo' sure.

Thanks to each and everyone of you for all the support and positive vibes that I walk away with every time I sit at my computer. You are individually contributing to my new lease on life, and it is much appreciated. Happy weekend!! xoxox
Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Administrator

porkchopped:
go to user CP (left hand side top of the page)

scroll down to edit avatar

click 'use custom avatar' then upload it from your PC...
or use an URL if it's on the web somewhere...

as long as it's not too big? it should work
D
Old 05-14-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Oink. I mean YAY!!! Thanks Dee. You da man!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
SR Fan

don't know whether to start drooling or not, porkchopped! Kinda looks like playdough?!?! Actually it's really cool and I AM glad you didn't put up a real one, cuz I've been eating enough the past two weeks already. I loved hearing about you going farming. Yeah, that's about the last thing I'd want to do hungover, too. I did have plans for the weekend, but they fell through, so I'll have to come up with something interesting...... hmmmm, I don't know any farmers. Maybe a little yard work?

Flux - day 8 is really fantastic! Are you feeling pretty good? Any residual withdrawal stuff? I don't want to be around the "drinking people" yet either. There's plenty of time later for that. I'm a little bored in the evenings, but I'm ready to accept that life doesn't have to be exciting for me to stay sober.'
After all we do live in the 21st century where they have books, TV and the internet. I guess you must be on the other side of world if it's Saturday there already. I hope the rest of the day is just as relaxing as you want it to be.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hey porkchopped - just looked up at the TV and someone was hauling a pig away. This is getting weird. I looked at the name of the show and it was "Medium" (about psychics I think), and the name of the episode is "Dead Meat."
Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Alright: day 12. I 'll be going back later to the first meeting I went to before I quit. I couldn't even talk the first time; I was so jittery with wanting a drink. (I went from the meeting straight to a bar.) I'm amazed how things have changed in so short a time. I'm less anxious and fearful, and I've gotten all caught up at work (I'm there now: I go in every Saturday, except this Saturday there is little I have to do!) Anyway, life seems good, and I seem - for today and for the previous 11 days - not to be a drinker.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Artsoul - you are cracking me up! Your mastery of icon choice and placement is impressive - then again, you are an artist! Sorry the weekend plans fell through, but sounds like you have some good ideas to pass the time. Isn't it refreshing knowing that however you spend it, you will be nurturing yourself???

Norther - congrats!! That is fabulous. Glad that you are doing what you need to do, encouraging us all to make the right choices in the process!!

Off to see my nephew play/lose (haha - sorry but the team is pretty bad his soccer game! Have a great day everybody.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

love the avatar porkchopped thanks artsoul hope all's going well for you too. Still getting the fuzzies everynow and then where it feels like your off in daydream land. Drinking heaps of water at night in place of the beer so thats good. I do find the nights a bit more boring as now I have a lot of time on my hands. So just jump on the net to keep me sane.