Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Welcome to the newcomers, hello to all the others. Things are going smoothly for the moment, but the cravings haven't left me yet. I'm doing ok with them for now, and I'll certainly end up fatter cause I keep stuffing things in so I won't have room for alcohol, it's helped for the moment. I'll do some extra exercise tomorrow, one of my classes has been canceled, free time to workout and it'll make me feel better too. Unless this sore throat I'm beginning to feel gets worse, I'd prefer de be ill in winter when it's dreary.

Keep up the good work everyone, and for all those reading and wondering if they can start in May or start again in May, yes you can, just pick yourselves up and start posting. It helps knowing that someone understands, no need to be embarrassed either we've all been there.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

I don't exactly have cravings, but strangely enough I do have these moments when I actually decide to drink. They often happen when I'm a driving. I just decide to buy a six pack of beer. Fortunately the moment passes quickly, but it is scary: makes me realize how close I really am at this point - day seven - to drinking again. "Cunning, baffling, and powerful"

Last edited by Norther; 05-11-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi California - wish I knew French, so I could greet you properly (one year of taking it in college, and I can't remember a thing.....)

I've got a sore throat today as well, but I think it's from smoking more cigarettes than usual (?). I can relate to the food consumption but I've also discovered that I don't have nearly the cravings if I'm not hungry, so I may need to allow myself to eat a little more for a while. Also - I'm going to exercise today for the first time, so I'll check in with you tomorrow on that one. Maybe we can encourage each other!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hi class of May I'm with you guys. It's been four days since my last binge. I still don't feel 100% yet. My goodness I must have really poisoned myself to still not be feeling good. I must remember the way I have felt the past few days in order for this to be a success. The weekend will soon be here and I'll be 100% and full of energy. I refuse to use that energy guzzling alcohol.

Good luck to all of you!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi GettingClean! 4 days is a really good start. I still felt lousy at 4 days, too. Not so much the anxiety anymore, but my hands still had a little tremor, NO energy whatsoever, headache, irritable, and very little sleep. Looking back from day 11 now, however, I can see a steady improvement each day. So remember, we have nowhere to go but up!! You've gotten through the worst, so give yourself a big thumbs up. You can do it.!!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Thanks artsoul! You hit it on the head. Energy is still low and I'm as irritable as Cujo on steroids. Friday afternoon I think I'm going to turn off the cell, rent some video games and movies and enjoy the weekend with my awesome family like I should have been doing for years. My son is three and I don't want him to have memories of me drunk like I have of my mom. Alcoholism goes back generations in my family but I don't have to let it continue. It can stop with me. Looking forward to a sober week!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Count me in...

You guys have really cheered me up. Thanks so much!

It's only day 2 for me since me relapse. Actually it was the relapse after the relapse. I feel like I've been stuck in the spin/rinse cycle. I've been having a great time crying and beating myself up, too. I know better, that feeds my disease...

This is my first time at NA. I've always worked AA, even though pills were as much or more a problem as booze. I avoided drugs and alcohol, but I needed to do more.

I'm full of shame and fear. I feel like such a cheater and liar. But that's Day 2. I really don't want to feel this way again. And I don't want to forget feeling this way.

count me in the May Day parade!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Hi GettingClean and jlr5 ... hope you all hang in there a few more days and see how it goes. I know it sucks. For me it took about a week to start to feel close to normal and like Art said it gets better each day. What really helped me the first few days with the cravings was making sure I ate something like every three hours or so, nothing crazy, just like a small balanced meal, it helped me stay on keel. Anyway, hope this helps and definitely read the previous posts for more info on what to expect. Congrats congrats!!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

So far day 2 is looking good. I got little sleep last night which is no shock since I'm used to going to bed intoxicated. Luckily I have to work late tonight again so I won't be home as long to be tempted.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it helps. Have a good day!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
SR Fan

:day6 Welcome, jlr!! Great to have another MayFlower on board! Hang in there - it really does get better. You'll find out in a few days that you feel ten years younger and stronger, and the self-loathing will fade, really. Keep posting!

I like your plans for the weekend, GettingClean! Kick back and do something non-stressful/positive. Cujo on steriods.....:rotfxko
Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

How i'm being taught patience with myself...

After last relapse, a friend said "We're teaching you to up knit" I said "no way, not me" (actually, I was not that polite). I actually tried to whine to a friend with 20+ yrs. who's former Hell's Angel figuring I'd get sympathy.

Didn't happen. He wouldn't say anything but "contempt prior to investigation" over and over and over while I whined and finally cussed him out.

So now I knit. Actually. it helps. kinda soothing after awhile. Not pretty so far but heh, gotta start somewhere.

Go figure.

Although for first week my husband said "why do you look so angry when you knit?" Had to work on that.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Administrator

hiya jlr and Getting Clean

D
Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Day 5 sober Started getting a migrane yesterday which I think could be down to not drinking enough fluids during the day. Energy levels are good and have managed to find stuff to do after work, usual would just crack a beer and turn into a vegetable for the night.

Managed to dodge someone offering to pay me in beer for a job I did for them after work, was close but said cash would be better. This is what caught me out last time and sent me back to day 0 for a while. But am staying clear of the beer economy now
Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So now I knit. Actually. it helps. kinda soothing after awhile.
I think everyone should have some kind of crafty-type hobby if they deal with any kind of anxiety. Seriously! My painting (and beginner level knitting) are almost like therapy. I want to do an afghan for my son for Christmas, although I don't get into all the fancy stitches. That's too much work!

Congrats dopnguinbe on 2 days and fluxcap on 5 - whoop!!!! I don't know how many you're at Crow, but it's good to know you're doing well!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I am thirteen going on fourteen and I can't make this rhyme
Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
SR Fan

13 going on 14.....oooooo, puberty again? Yikes! Seriously though, here's a 13 days for ya, Crow!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

On day 12 here

Thanks for the sober Tuesday post Artsoul--- I needed that today!

I've been feeling rough lately. I'm just trying to get a lot of rest after pulling two doubles the last two days & eat healthy. Going to begin working out again too--always makes me feel better.

Hope everyone is holding on nicely & has had a Wonderful day

Wishing peace, love, happiness & laughter to all

& Welcome jlr5 & getting clean
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Nice Atlas!!!

Also its awsome seeing people continue to join up.

What day are you on Art??
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Crow - Today is day 11 for me, which is a day or two longer than I've been able to go without drinking in a long time. Still having minor headaches in the evenings, some insomnia and occassional small tremors in my hands, a few cravings that felt like 2x4's. Feeling a little clumsy, too (physically and mentally). But WOW, I have a bunch more energy, almost no anxiety, and even some positivity (I really didn't expect that!) Since I work from home, I let alot of things go for the first few days, but have been getting back into it this week. Lots of financial issues, but hopefully a more productive me will be able to catch up soon. More information than you wanted......haha! Long story short: sobriety isn't bad at all!!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Hey Art,

Great to hear about day 11!!!! My anxiety has passed to, but I still have some crazy mood swings. All in all though, things are so much better this week than last.

Also, funny enough, I to work from home and have been completely unproductive lately. I'm actually wondering when to really jump back into the thick of it. I have rent in place this month but i need to keep on top of things, at the same time i need to stay on top of staying sober most of all. I guess I shouldn't complain since I have been able to focus so much on not drinking and not have to worry about anything else. basically, like a shock from jumping into cold water, I hope getting back into work doesn't throw me.

1:00 am and its a new day...