Notices

Class of May 2010

Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Class of May 2010

I loved what the Aprillers did and the support they gave/give each other, so I hope some of you who get/got sober in May will join me here. Let's help each other out these first few days/weeks. Perhaps there's a reason we are coming together at this time/place to encourage and be encouraged. So here goes.........................................:grou phug:
Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Artsoul,

I hope that May will be a good month for you.

Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks, Anna. It helps so much to have support here at SR. Only on Day 2, but very hopeful.

To everyone out there: Anyone else who wants to make May 2010 their month of sobriety? If so, lets get to know each other and work on this together. WE CAN DO THIS! We need each other, and I certainly don't want to hang out here by myself!

MAY IS THE BEGINNING OF OUR NEW LIFE!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I began on April 30th...so practically May. I've survived my first weekend, in a loooong time sober & I love all the support and shared experiences I have ALREADY encountered.

I believe I've found a new addiction, one without regrets, soberrecovery. I spend more time on here than facebook! ...haha.

Class of May 2010, let's get outta our winter funk....
Old 05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Day 1 yet again here, been in a few 'classes' already this site has helped me SO much in the past I'm thinkin I have to spend more time here again .
Here we go ....one day at a time !
Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

YEAH Atlas!! I also joined SR April 30, but count May 1 as my first complete day (and it will be easier for my pickled brain to remember how many days I've been sober!) I've also spent all of last night and half of today on this website. Keeping my mind and my fingers busy, and focused on making this commitment happen. I KNOW this is what will get me through the coming hours and days. So glad you're here. LET'S DO THIS THING! (or as Tim Gunn says "MAKE IT WORK!")
Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey Richard! We've got ourselves a "group" now! I hope we can all share what's going on with us day to day this month. Like you say "One Day At A Time," baby.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, just for today I'm not going to drink.
Same thing tomorrow!
Only on day 1 here so you can imagine what a basket case I am .
I do remember how wonderful I felt in the past going sober for months and months at a time...It was wonderful. Felt 20 years younger.. The brain cells seemed to fire up again...felt incredibly healthy... and saved TONS of money.
I want that back.
Keep it up folks !
Old 05-02-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll join as well. Today is Day 1 for me, and I've spent the vast majority of it sampling local BBQ dives and falling asleep from overeating. Let's make this thing happen. Go team!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Draciak good that you've been eating its all I can do to keep water down today but slowly coming around now and gonna try a meal here soon.
Go team yeah!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi,
Day 1 for me, too; I quit smoking in May, six years ago, so May is a great month for a new life,
Stay sober,
Nancy
Old 05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome nancylee !!
We can do it !
Old 05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR nancylee
good luck to all you guys!

D
Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Draciack View Post
falling asleep from overeating.

I've been eating a bunch too throughout this process. I've heard of people eating more after quitting cigs, maybe it's the same when quitting any addiction--varying of course. Although I didn't up the eating after I quit smoking, but I have since quitting alcohol. Strange how things work. I've been craving sweets more too, which makes sense, since alcohol's full of sugar.

I agree with May (or spring time in general) being a great time for change and recovery. We have a cold, wet, bitter winter here in Tennessee & I couldn't imagine beginning my recovery then.

I want to say hello and welcome to everyone & of course a big Congratulations.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Count me in. Day 1 today (May 2nd).

Hi Richard!!! Nice to see you back here!

I was originally a member of the Aug. 2009 group but did not manage any sober time. Joined a few other groups as well but could not stick to them. So I'm feeling like May is a fresh start for me.

Let's start this month out right!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

traderjane !!
Congrads on your decision to quit again!
May is a wonderful month to get sober !
Old 05-02-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You know, I bet we wouldn't be able to spin in a group hug just a few days ago!! Not sure I'm well enough even now..... But here we are, together at least. Welcome and congratulations Draciack, nancylee and traderjane! So glad you've joined the class!

I'm with you Atlas and Draciack about the food. Dare I say, I am even indulging myself for these first few days. When I drank, I could have cared less about eating. (Heck, why waste calories?) And on the bad days I felt too bad to do much more than eat a fried egg at the most. Richard, I hope you feel a whole lot better tomorrow. Hang in there!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm feeling better with each passing hour and my head feels so much better from just admitting to myself that this alcoholic simply has to stop.
It's kind of a liberating feeling for me to think I'm not going to be pounding them down tonight or tomorrow. It feels like freedom and I like it and want it!
Badly.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

About the eating: It may have something to do with the body's need for nutrients as well. When I drink, my diet is...oh, how should I put this--terrible. Fast food, late night binges, little breakfast, and so forth. But, for me at least, I love to try different restaurants and different types of food. Or I used to anyway. Alcohol has ground my life to a standstill and I'm trying to do as many new things as possible to regain some true enjoyment again.

Btw, Atlas, heck of a storm we had today, yeah? I hope you stayed safe. I heard the highways were flooded in Nashville.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just poppin' in to wish the May-ers the best of luck, we're all in this together!

Cheers to a sober day everyone!

Andi